Sponsored

Brake Light Switch (near pedal) Failure

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
One question that I do have, however, is in regards to the placement of my magnets. As you can see in the image, the magnet behind wanted to attach itself higher than be in precise measurement with the magnet that the one in the front was in
Need to turn one of the magnets over so they are attacked to each other instead of repelling each other.

Anyone doing the magnet mod ... put the magnets together so they stick to each other. Mark the backsides with a Sharpie so you know how to install them on the brake pedal so they attract instead of repel each other.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I doubt it will be a problem again, but if you turn off your traction control by holding the button down for 5 seconds, it will eliminate that sluggish problem with the throttle that you had. The traction control thinks you're hitting the brakes and speeding up so it kills signal to the throttle.
Not sure sure that will work. It's probably cutting throttle because the PCM sees the brakes and throttle are both on at the same time.

Remember the infamous "Toyota run-away" issue? Since then, all manufacturers have incorporated a throttle limitation when the brake and throttle are activated at the same time so there can't be any WOT run-away situations again.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not sure sure that will work. It's probably cutting throttle because the PCM sees the brakes and throttle are both on at the same time.

Remember the infamous "Toyota run-away" issue? Since then, all manufacturers have incorporated a throttle limitation when the brake and throttle are activated at the same time so there can't be any WOT run-away situations again.
It worked for my car when I had the same issue.

15mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Same failure just happened to my 2015 Mustang. Brake pedal stop pad broke causing loss of engine power and brake lights to stay on. My vehicle wouldn't go above ~50MPH and kept ignoring gas pedal. Thanks everyone for info!!!

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’d like to know when is there going to be an NHTSA investigation or Ford recall due to the severity of this being a real safety issue...

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Same failure just happened to my 2015 Mustang. Brake pedal stop pad broke causing loss of engine power and brake lights to stay on. My vehicle wouldn't go above ~50MPH and kept ignoring gas pedal. Thanks everyone for info!!!
Hold down your traction control button for five seconds or until the message in the dash tells you that you've turned off your traction control. Should fix the throttle issues. You won't be able to use cruise control until you fix the issue.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So is it worth doing this 'mod' on our new cars now, if it's going to happen sooner or later, even if we don't own it? Seems like the right thing to do, no? And is the Advanced Auto part the best to use, then?

15mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I had the same problem and found the part that fits for $1.51 (see picture with part number) at Advance Auto Parts.
brake pedal stop pad.png
This worked great once I realized the trick to install this part from Advanced Auto Parts. I ordered it this morning from AA and it arrived SAME DAY :). There is very little room to work near the brake pedal so it can be tricky to install. I struggled to install the brake pad stop for about an hour, then I realized the trick is to make sure the rubber part is orientated the right direction so that it bends back when pushed into place. See pictures below. After this trick, it was very easy and took less than 5 minutes to install :)

Steps:
1) Start car to further press in the brake pedal and provide more space.
2) Tape the new brake pad stop to a flat head screwdriver at the top of the shaft.
3) *IMPORTANT* Make sure the brake pad stop is orientated such that the rubber shaft will bend back when inserted. It will only bend easily along ONE axis.
4) Once the brake pad stop is in the brake pedal hole, wedge a screwdriver between the stop pad and the switch to fully press the brake pad stop into the hole.
IMG_0420.JPG
Labeled_upside.jpg

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So is it worth doing this 'mod' on our new cars now, if it's going to happen sooner or later, even if we don't own it? Seems like the right thing to do, no? And is the Advanced Auto part the best to use, then?
The replacement part is such a huge pain in the ass. The magnets take seconds and hold really strong. They won't shift from there spot. Even if you wanted to remove it, it takes some real effort.

Sponsored

15mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Hold down your traction control button for five seconds or until the message in the dash tells you that you've turned off your traction control. Should fix the throttle issues. You won't be able to use cruise control until you fix the issue.
I tried this but it didn't work for me. I turned my traction control off (and on) several times but it still cut power between 40-50MPH. On my car traction control is just a tap to turn off. Do you mean stability control? Its possible that might work.

As someone else mentioned, I think the power cut is a safeguard to prevent runaway acceleration such as the famous Toyota investigation.

15mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
The replacement part is such a huge pain in the ass. The magnets take seconds and hold really strong. They won't shift from there spot. Even if you wanted to remove it, it takes some real effort.
Yes, though one concern with this is that magnets, especially strong magnets, can interfere with electrical signals. While most cars have magnets in different locations such as a solenoid, placing a strong magnet near unshielded electrical wires may not have a positive or good effect. A simple example of this is sticking a magnet close to an old CRT monitor or TV, which would distort the image. Strong magnets can also, for example, impact pacemakers and other implanted medical devices. While the risk is very small, I took the harder route and bought the better-than-OEM AA brake pad stop. The part from Advanced Auto is a perfect fit, and I'm sure it will work perfect for years to come (10+ since its made for Toyota :))

The most serious concern is impact on medical devices:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/safety....se a,emergency surgery if correctly diagnosed.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I tried this but it didn't work for me. I turned my traction control off (and on) several times but it still cut power between 40-50MPH. On my car traction control is just a tap to turn off. Do you mean stability control? Its possible that might work.

As someone else mentioned, I think the power cut is a safeguard to prevent runaway acceleration such as the famous Toyota investigation.
You have to hold it down and wait until it gives you a message on your dash. It tells you how to in the owners manual. You get different settings on your traction by either tapping it once, or double tapping, or holding down. You need to hold it down to truly turn it off. A single touch won't work.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Screenshot_20200626-171328_Drive.jpg

15mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Ya, for some reason turning off traction control didn't work for me. My traction control was "off", with the message on the dash saying traction control off. It is possible that holding it down for 5 seconds to turn off "AdvanceTrac" may fix the power loss and power cutting out. Holding it for 5 seconds will turn off AdvanceTrac and could work (Its also possible Ford has released some type of software update for this). If anyone else gets this problem this is worth trying.
Sponsored