holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
Hello all:

Last week I had a strange thing happen to my mustang (June 2021 Mustang GT PP).

After starting the car, putting it on drive and releasing the hand brake I noticed the car did not want to move. I could feel the car was on gear but it felt like something was blocking the wheels. I decided to turn off the car, turn it on and after that it worked just fine.

While washing my car a few days later, I noticed that one of the calipers was scratched, and with a lot of debris. At that point I decided to take it to the dealership. After they checked the car they noticed that one of my break pads was destroyed. They said they had no idea how that could happen. Have you ever seen something like this? (Check pictures).

The dealership went ahead and replaced all 4 break pads and resurface the break rotor. Although I tried to push for a new rotor (since its 3 month old car with 2900 miles), they said Ford will not give me a new rotor. I'm truly concerned about this since now my break rotors are uneven, and one might wear faster than the other one. I've read that resurfacing is normal after you change your break pads (on 35+k miles cars), not on a 2900 miles car.

Whats your input on this? Am I out of place asking for a new rotor instead of a repaired one? Shouldn't the warranty cover that?

*Last one is after the break rotor was resurfaced.

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG
Sponsored

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hello all:

After starting the car, putting it on drive and releasing the hand brake I noticed the car did not want to move. I could feel the car was on gear but it felt like something was blocking the wheels. I decided to turn off the car, turn it on and after that it worked just fine.

While washing my car a few days later, I noticed that one of the calipers was scratched, and with a lot of debris. At that point I decided to take it to the dealership. After they checked the car they noticed that one of my break pads was destroyed. They said they had no idea how that could happen. Have you ever seen something like this? (Check pictures).

The dealership went ahead and replaced all 4 break pads and resurface the break rotor. Although I tried to push for a new rotor (since its 3 month old car with 2900 miles), they said Ford will not give me a new rotor. I'm truly concerned about this since now my break rotors are uneven, and one might wear faster than the other one. I've read that resurfacing is normal after you change your break pads (on 35+k miles cars), not on a 2900 miles car.

Whats your input on this? Am I out of place asking for a new rotor instead of a repaired one? Shouldn't the warranty cover that?

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG
The issue you experienced is fairly close to what’s happening to some Mustang Mach E owners. Ford has issued TSB 21-2206 for brake pad material getting stuck to the rotor due to poor quality. Ford has instructed techs to resurface the rotor. Replacement rotors are only issued if the tech is unable to remove the brake pad material and make the surface smooth. Not sure about the warranty guaranteeing you a replacement. I also know some forum members here have had their brakes stick and imprint onto the rotor after washing their cars with the handbrake up

DAFF634D-ED7D-4638-81D6-1D4495CB203F.jpeg

A8130038-9CE8-47B3-87E9-3F6B4BB77E24.jpeg

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Hello all:

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG
When you had your old pads did you get any break squeaking when coming to a stop? Or with the pads now do you get the squeaking.?

OP
OP
holaz50

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
When you had your old pads did you get any break squeaking when coming to a stop? Or with the pads now do you get the squeaking.?
Now that you mentioned it, yes I did!. I remember driving one day and hearing squeaking when coming to a stop. New pads no squeaking.

OP
OP
holaz50

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
The issue you experienced is fairly close to what’s happening to some Mustang Mach E owners. Ford has issued TSB 21-2206 for brake pad material getting stuck to the rotor due to poor quality. Ford has instructed techs to resurface the rotor. Replacement rotors are only issued if the tech is unable to remove the brake pad material and make the surface smooth. Not sure about the warranty guaranteeing you a replacement. I also know some forum members here have had their brakes stick and imprint onto the rotor after washing their cars with the handbrake up

DAFF634D-ED7D-4638-81D6-1D4495CB203F.jpeg

A8130038-9CE8-47B3-87E9-3F6B4BB77E24.jpeg
Dude, thank you so much!! This is great information. Now I feel like I'm not an isolated case and that there is nothing mechanically wrong with my car.
It sucks that Ford is using such crappy materials :(

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Now that you mentioned it, yes I did!. I remember driving one day and hearing squeaking when coming to a stop. New pads no squeaking.
Mines squeak but I haven't noticed any sticking or scuffing of the rotors but a buddy of mine that has a Mach 1 has had the pads sticking to one rotor.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mines squeak but I haven't noticed any sticking or scuffing of the rotors but a buddy of mine that has a Mach 1 has had the pads sticking to one rotor.

I forgot to say that his squeak before and now they dont.

OP
OP
holaz50

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
Be careful. Mine squeaked for a day. After the incident I had where the car did not move, there were no other indication of an issue... the car was running just fine (no squeaking, no strange noises coming from the back of the car, no breaking noises, etc - it felt just normal) . I'm glad I took it to the dealership after seeing the scratches on the break rotor.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Performance Pack car with Brembos? Got to be the rear disc Ford part right? Sounds like bullshit. I would ask for money back and replace them yourself with higher quality aftermarket stuff. No fking way you should have to deal with that on a new GT. My 2018 GT PP has 18k on it and not a single brake issue. QC is gonna be crap on 21-22 cars/trucks due to employee problems, manufacturers getting things from unusual vendors and vendors making substandard quality parts with crap materials.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
It's the first thing I replaced on my car @ 1000 miles. The dust from stock pads was ridiculos.

Sponsored
OP
OP
holaz50

holaz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP
Performance Pack car with Brembos? Got to be the rear disc Ford part right? Sounds like bullshit. I would ask for money back and replace them yourself with higher quality aftermarket stuff. No fking way you should have to deal with that on a new GT. My 2018 GT PP has 18k on it and not a single brake issue. QC is gonna be crap on 21-22 cars/trucks due to employee problems, manufacturers getting things from unusual vendors and vendors making substandard quality parts with crap materials.
Yes, PP with Brembos. It was a defective rear brake pad that caused the issue. According to the dealership they basically “cleaned” the rotor. They only removed the scratches caused by this incident.
I have to agree with you, my position was the same: I don’t have to deal with this BS on a brand new car, but I also understand Fords perspective. They can’t give new parts to everyone even if the defect is minimal.
I guess that if this really bothers me I can buy a new rotor ($110) and replace it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

libtrucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP, 1995 F-250 XL
Resurfacing is fine, they aren't taking much material off.

Sometimes when I release my hand brake I can feel the calipers sticking in the rear. Was going to take it apart and check it out this weekend. Maybe ill leave it up to Ford incase there is a warranty issue.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Resurfacing of the rear rotor is fine, as mentioned previously, they don't need to take much material off. It's common to resurface rotors, but the key is always min thickness thresholds and much needs to be taken off. Competent techs would evaluate this, and recommend replacement if a situation allows. It'd be more of a concern on the front rotors, but on the rear, on a car like this, it's not much to worry about.

Also, the vast majority of the braking is done by the front, so any worries about uneven rotor life on the rear, should be very minimal, as over a longer period, you may have to end up replacing all rear pads and rotors on both driver and passenger sides, due to normal wear and tear, before you could see any resulting effects of a "slightly thinner" rotor on one side.

The pad issue could simply be due to a manufacturing defect on a certain batch of pads. It's good that Ford has a TSB and has a way for the Techs to address it.

I'd add, though, that it's good that Ford replaced all 4 brake pads, (not just the 2 on the affected passenger side) because my friend with a 2017 had a rear caliper stick, and they replaced everything under warranty, but only the pads on the affected side. He also, in all likelihood, had much more mileage than OPs 2021, which is almost new, where now he will likely see the driver side pads be worn first prior to the replaced side.
Sponsored