Brake Dust/Wheel Cleaner Preference

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Anybody have a wheel cleaner they like? I bought some Meguiars Non Acid to try but looking for recommendations.
Sponsored

Top_Notch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Anybody have a wheel cleaner they like? I bought some Meguiars Non Acid to try but looking for recommendations.
P&S Brake Buster. One can dilute it to whatever concentration works for you depending on how often the tires and wheels are cleaned. It also contains corrosion inhibitors that deposit a thin layer of protection on the wheel to protect from future corrosion. The rotors don't flash rust after drying.

OP
OP
rp930

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'm in the Adam's Wheel Cleaner/PS Brake Buster crowd but I only use either if she's been driven more than a couple times. The air is so dusty down here from the agriculture folks, (and I hate dust,) so I no doubt wash more often than most.

For the shorter intervals, I just foam the wheels with the same soap as the vehicle and then spray the rotors with Hyde's after rinsing. A very smart fella from Australia turned me on to that trick of not hitting the wheels with an aggressive cleaner so frequently. It saves the coating on the wheels and the Perl on the tires and, you don't need two foam jars most of the time. :-) Thanks, D.

Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Sonax Wheel cleaner plus for me

OP
OP
rp930

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
The Diablo spray bottle is terrible.

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
I use the wheel guard and rim wax. It was a recommendation by a detailer that works in one of the chemical guys detail garage locations.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/wheel-...315.html?gtmListValue=Category: wheel-and-rim

I gave it a try and it kept the dust off for 3 weeks.

I had used another when I paid to have my car detailed in August and it worked well from armor all but the problem with that one was the residue it left behind on the wheel. It was very thick and messy when I went to touch the wheel.

I didn't get that same issue with the wheel guard and rim wax from chemical guys.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I gave it a try and it kept the dust off for 3 weeks.
I'm wondering if we're driving the same car, Matt. Holy smoke, that seems impossible to me. Heck, I could go around the block, make a few normal stops, and there would be dust for sure on both fronts with PowerStop pads.

Sponsored

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
This is my wheel after 3 days. The wheel guard kept it pretty clean for 3 weeks.

Generally right after I wash the car and drive just once my wheels are bronze with brake dust.

I’m still on the oem pads.

4FD95CF4-027B-4243-8A20-B8B459E24CE0.jpeg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For an easy to use / safe / easy to get hold off / buy it from almost anywhere kind of product, I think this is surprisingly good and defo worth a shout :

1637160736241.png

It's a safe on everything / bleeding iron remover type of product.

The only downside is that it stinks ... lol

WD :like:

Weazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, PP1, Royal Crimson. 2020 Exp ST
Can any of these be used on wheels that are already ceramic coated, for stubborn spots? I just had my car done so I'm not sure yet how the dust will come off during the washing. Just trying to get some ideas.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Can any of these be used on wheels that are already ceramic coated, for stubborn spots? I just had my car done so I'm not sure yet how the dust will come off during the washing. Just trying to get some ideas.
My wheels are coated and I use Chemical Guys Diablo. You’re fine with standard wheel soaps, just don’t use abrasive or caustic chemicals.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Correct product selection is important when wheels are ceramic coated. You will want to avoid high pH chemicals when cleaning ceramic coated wheels. In general, most "non-acid" wheel cleaners will have a high pH to give the cleaning affect. Brake Buster is a high pH chemical unless heavily diluted, in which case you would be just better off using normal car shampoo.

If you need something with more punch, for ceramic coated wheels, I would be looking towards iron-remover type cleaners such as CarPro IronX, this has a neutral pH that wont degrade your coating. The mentioned Chemical Guys Diablo is also pH neutral.

And for those who don't have ceramic coated wheels, and in that I mean a true ceramic coating not the spray sealants, using a product like CarPro Hydr02 or Gyeon Wet Coat allow you to apply protection to the entire wheel and barrel without having to remove the wheels to do so.

may1919.jpg

Wash the wheel and while still wet, mist a few sprays onto the wheel face and barrel, then rinse off. This then makes wheel cleaning easier in the future. Do this every few months.
Sponsored

Last edited: