Boon15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey all,

Put some new pads on for a track day and didn't wash the wheels quick enough afterwards. Now I cannot get the brake dust off no matter what I do. I've tried scrubbing with wheel cleaner and a wheel brush but this stuff is stuck. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tougher wheel cleaner or something else I can try?

Dust.jpg
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Hey all,

Put some new pads on for a track day and didn't wash the wheels quick enough afterwards. Now I cannot get the brake dust off no matter what I do. I've tried scrubbing with wheel cleaner and a wheel brush but this stuff is stuck. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tougher wheel cleaner or something else I can try?

Dust.jpg
Have you tried using a clay bar?

Lidsoff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT
Use Sudslabs wheels cleaner from Walmart that shits magical on fresh ish dust and pretty good brake down for caked dust. Pair it with a magic eraser and I’ve had good results with my white wheels. It’s going to need a lot of elbow grease be ready for a workout.

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
Try P&S brake buster undiluted on a small section and check results . Give it a try.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hey all,

Dust.jpg
What wheel cleaner did you use?

You have three basic types of wheel cleaner -

-High Alkaline (P&S Brake Buster, Adam's Wheel & Tire Cleaner for example)

-Iron removers (Carpro Ironx, Meguiar's All-Wheel-Cleaner, P&S Iron Buster)

-Acidic (These are rarely offered these days and should be use used with caution, think Meguiars's Wheel Brightener)

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
I've been using this one and I'm quite happy with it. Highly recommended to use wheel brush and follow the instructions. Wet the wheel well, spray on one wheel only and don't let it stay too long, so after like 30-40 seconds start rubbing with the brush. After a minute or so, rinse thoroughly with pressure washer, then do the second wheel.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...t-rimstm-wheel-tire-cleaner-g9524-24-oz-spray

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Best stuff I ever got my hands on is Iwetec Extreme Brake Cleaner, but i am not sure, if you can source it in the US: https://www.ebay.com/itm/251317498881
It is kind of an acid, bites in the nose when used without good ventilation.
Protective gloves and eye protection are also not a bad idea.
With it I could already saved rims that would actually have been a job for the painter.
The surface changes in the rim coating by the "burn in" of the brake dust you will of course not get rid of.

To prevent such a burn-in I seal my rims with Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
1668872789592.jpeg

So laugh - but the product does work for other things beside the kitchen and dish cleaning.

Get a bottle, start with a COLD rim (ie: not sitting in sun or just coming off the road from driving). Wet the rim, spray Dawn on 1 spoke area to test and let it sit for a real 5 minutes. Using your favorite wash mit, wheel brush or sponge, scrub/wipe/rinse and see if it dissolved the crud.

I use it on our rims and it works very well.

If it doesn't work on that crud on your rims - just throw it under the kitchen sink.

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Try Mother's R3 - it's for race rubber removal after track days, but it might work and can't hurt.
Sponsored