Sponsored

bought refurb'd key fob off Ebay-Dealer couldn't program it

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Per the title-Bought a refurb'd fob for my '15 GT off Ebay (my car only came with one fob, bought used) from Keylessentryremote for about $60. Thousands of positive feedback.

Cheapest dealer programming in my area was $108. After 2 hrs with my car, they said they couldn't program it. Had a wrong ID. All they could do is get it to stick in the slot under the cupholder to start the car. But no remote functionality.

Called the seller and they said must be the wrong ID and they'll refund me of course. I obviously have to eat the $108 labor at the dealer. They didn't offer to refund that.

I said on Ebay they say specifically the fob works with a 2015 mustang GT.
They said on their WEBSITE, it states to make sure the ID is the same as your current key fob.

I said that's great but on the EBAY ad (where I bought it), it states nothing of that sort. Just that "rest assured, you'll be getting a working remote." They said....oh yes, I see that. We need to update that.

It's possible the dealer I took it to were inept but doubt it. Ebay seller offered to match me up with another fob but what's the point? I'd have to pay labor again at the dealer. She told me to call a locksmith. I told her I never heard of a locksmith doing this not to mention that will cost labor.

A dealer will sell me the key and program it for $300, so there's no point in "trying again" with one of their fobs.

So that was my waste of Sat afternoon. At least while I was waiting I test drove a Hyundai Elantra Sport next door and got a $40 prepaid Visa card just for test driving it.

I'll probably just keep one key fob for now. My GT is not a daily driver and I've never lost a fob before.
Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So you have two keys that will start the car but one that will not do all of the remote stuff? If the S550 is like an S197, you can now use the car to reprogram additional keys.

On our 2012, my Wife lost one of the factory key fobs and I bought a cheap replacement at a local lock smith to replace it. It would start the car but the remote functions never worked consistently. Since I had two keys that would start the car, I was able to use the car to completely reprogram a third refurbished OE key. Everything on the third key worked great.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'll be honest, I have never received anything electronic from Ebay that worked as it should.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
So you have two keys that will start the car but one that will not do all of the remote stuff? If the S550 is like an S197, you can now use the car to reprogram additional keys.

On our 2012, my Wife lost one of the factory key fobs and I bought a cheap replacement at a local lock smith to replace it. It would start the car but the remote functions never worked consistently. Since I had two keys that would start the car, I was able to use the car to completely reprogram a third refurbished OE key. Everything on the third key worked great.
My car came with ONE fob. I have ONE fob that works.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
did you verify if the FCC ID matches your existing key fob ? Ebay ad should list the FCC ID

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are prolly gonna have to fork out top $$ to get set up with a proper set.
$300 at a dealer. Eventually I probably will. But for now, I'll just keep one fob.
Or break into someone's house with a Mustang, take both of their fobs and then I can just program it myself.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Open the FOB, its written inside.

Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Ok, thx. Is there a good tool to pry it open? Tried with my fingers and failed.
pull out the physical key, you should see it near the slot where the key stays.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
I used my fingernail, but you can probably just use a paperclip or anything with a small edge on it. Just slide the little clip on the back downwards and the back will pop off.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If the S550 is like an S197, you can now use the car to reprogram additional keys
^This.
Go buy the correct FOB and use your two good keys to marry it to your car. Then you can return the bad key FOB. That way you won’t waste the cash you gave the dealer.

Cheers

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^This.
Go buy the correct FOB and use your two good keys to marry it to your car. Then you can return the bad key FOB. That way you won’t waste the cash you gave the dealer.

Cheers
*sigh*
Per the title-Bought a refurb'd fob for my '15 GT off Ebay (my car only came with one fob, bought used)

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Omg OP you clearly don’t get it do you? You have one key fob that does everything and one that only starts the car! Use the keys to make a key that will do everything but this time make sure you buy a key that matches! Or just don’t and ignore the advice given and deal with one key. Facepalm
Sponsored