Sponsored

Bought my son a new 2020 Mustang EcoBoost

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I agree, my son continued to walk to school for 5 months after getting his car. Plus he wanted to have the manual shifting mastered before driving it there.

It depends on the girl! Although I do worry about how mean spirited other kids can be. I knew plenty of jealous guys, many of which didn't even have a car, that wouldn't hesitate to harass or vandalize. I know it's much easier said than done but your son may benefit from keeping his excitement in check at school. It was always the ones who bragged about their expensive toys that were targeted. But I also went to school with a lot of... well ya.
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
What is costing more, the car payment or the insurance on a 16 y/o new driver, MALE at that.
Best of luck with it. I am glad when I was a new driver that I could not afford a powerful car. I was a lead foot.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The care insurance was/is definitely high. But even if didn't buy him a new car it would have gone way up as soon as he got his license. I asked USAA why and they said as long as he lives in the same house, he has access to all the cars, regardless if we give him the keys or not. When he became eligible to be rated as an experienced driver, it did drop the insurance by $450 a year.

What is costing more, the car payment or the insurance on a 16 y/o new driver, MALE at that.
Best of luck with it. I am glad when I was a new driver that I could not afford a powerful car. I was a lead foot.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Since I learned to drive on my mom’s Grabber Blue ‘72 Pinto, there was no need to worry about horsepower getting out of control.

Only worried about getting incinerated in a rear en crash. 😩

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The care insurance was/is definitely high. But even if didn't buy him a new car it would have gone way up as soon as he got his license. I asked USAA why and they said as long as he lives in the same house, he has access to all the cars, regardless if we give him the keys or not. When he became eligible to be rated as an experienced driver, it did drop the insurance by $450 a year.
Yes and no. the cost of another car for him, that only has basic coverage, because it is a 1200.00 car, is cheaper than a new car with full coverage.
Sure adding a new driver to your insurance will up your cars, but the difference would be his.
In 2006 a male .
2002 camero 3.8 v6 manual full coverage (loan would require it.) was 2411.00 for 6 months coverage, new driver.
1987 v6 camero , basic coverage. 2300 a year.
Maybe this changed.
I know what I paid for my first sporty car, as a new driver way back in the 80's.
insurance was more than the car.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I got to choose which car they were to assign against him as his daily driver....however, adding a new driver did cause my entire policy to increase with the inexperienced driver addendum and the other things they added.

Yes and no. the cost of another car for him, that only has basic coverage, because it is a 1200.00 car, is cheaper than a new car with full coverage.
Sure adding a new driver to your insurance will up your cars, but the difference would be his.
In 2006 a male .
2002 camero 3.8 v6 manual full coverage (loan would require it.) was 2411.00 for 6 months coverage, new driver.
1987 v6 camero , basic coverage. 2300 a year.
Maybe this changed.
I know what I paid for my first sporty car, as a new driver way back in the 80's.
insurance was more than the car.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got to choose which car they were to assign against him as his daily driver....however, adding a new driver did cause my entire policy to increase with the inexperienced driver addendum and the other things they added.
That is great, but if you "assigned" him the basic family car, but he drives the mustang daily, and you even need to file a claim.
Remember today's cars keep a log of where the vehicle has been , in the nav. system . The vehicle nav. history of where he be driving and you or your so. would be wildly different.
They Will, deny a claim and drop you if they find out, you listed his daily as the (example) 2015 accord, and not the mustang he does use.
Be careful. It suck to find out the hard way.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Oh I know what you mean. He is assigned to the Subaru WRX, which is the car he drives...plus my cars are 3 different locations in 2 different states, so definitely want to make sure the correct car is assigned to the person/people that drive it.

That is great, but if you "assigned" him the basic family car, but he drives the mustang daily, and you even need to file a claim.
Remember today's cars keep a log of where the vehicle has been , in the nav. system . The vehicle nav. history of where he be driving and you or your so. would be wildly different.
They Will, deny a claim and drop you if they find out, you listed his daily as the (example) 2015 accord, and not the mustang he does use.
Be careful. It suck to find out the hard way.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I bought my 15 year old a new EcoBoost a few weeks ago. Glad I found this forum. It's an impressive car. I got it for $24K and change out the door, which seemed like a steal for a new car. He does most of the driving (on a learner's permit) but I have driven it a bit and I'm impressed. Good value for what you spend.

The plan is to put a couple of thick gloss black racing stripes up the middle, an OEM rear spoiler, and eventually I would like to get him the tires and rims that come on the performance package EcoBoost. Pics to follow.
If you have the money to buy him that, you have the money to get him into a performance driving school. They will teach him how to handle the car and REALLY drive. It will be the best investment in keeping your son safe and show him how quickly things can go wrong but what to do in those situations and remain in control. Kids are only as good as their instructors. They learn fast and have great reflexes. They just lack experience to make good decisions. Congrats o the nice ride and hopefully nothing but fun in the futre :like:

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
If you have the money to buy him that, you have the money to get him into a performance driving school. They will teach him how to handle the car and REALLY drive. It will be the best investment in keeping your son safe and show him how quickly things can go wrong but what to do in those situations and remain in control. Kids are only as good as their instructors. They learn fast and have great reflexes. They just lack experience to make good decisions. Congrats o the nice ride and hopefully nothing but fun in the futre :like:
I haven’t seriously looked yet , but yes I plan to have him complete a school before he goes solo. I want to pick the best one I can find in the area.
Sponsored