Sponsored

Bought my son a new 2020 Mustang EcoBoost

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
I bought my 15 year old a new EcoBoost a few weeks ago. Glad I found this forum. It's an impressive car. I got it for $24K and change out the door, which seemed like a steal for a new car. He does most of the driving (on a learner's permit) but I have driven it a bit and I'm impressed. Good value for what you spend.

The plan is to put a couple of thick gloss black racing stripes up the middle, an OEM rear spoiler, and eventually I would like to get him the tires and rims that come on the performance package EcoBoost. Pics to follow.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ecoboost is still a lot of power for a young one. Nice ride. Hope he takes care of it! god I remember my first vehicle.. I think it cost like 800 bucks... Tad jelly. Imo- just because he's 15, I would not tune it or anything. it has plenty of pep in stock form for him to learn the car.-- man aren't I boring. but when he's older, there's a bit of extra HP to be unlocked with just a tune and drop in filter.

You can find take offs PP1 wheels (gt take offs) pretty good prices. tires+wheels. Usually plentiful, but due to new car supply constraints, may not be as much this year. once cars start flowing you will see a ton of wheels in the parts section, keep an eye out.

Make a post saying your location and wanting to buy tires/wheels as take offs.

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, no power mods any time soon, just appearance stuff.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, no power mods any time soon, just appearance stuff.
if you encourage him to feed it 87 octane, it will be like 40hp less than 93 octane. 87 and 93 has no ill effects on stock tune, it'll drink both just fine. my previous ecoboost had 25k miles on 87, no issue. people have hundred thousand on their cars in stock form drinking 87. All the ecoboost come with 87 from my dealers, lol. I was surprised when I tossed 93 and it learned the new octane and was pleasantly surprised with its additional pull.

people think its sacrilege, but its perfectly fine. the more important thing in that ecoboost is to feed it good quality fuels, top tier is recommended. once he tunes it one day, he will require 91+ always. so 87 can be a way to save money and limit the power down a bit without anyone knowing.

it will have the same mpg, just less power.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know! Unfortunately he already knows that too! I plan on plugging a monitor into the OOBD and grounding him if he gets to froggy.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
No offence, but a ANY new car for a 15 year old is a bad idea! A mustang for a new driver is an even worse idea. 15? What’s the minimum age for driving where you are? Here in Ontario with graduated driving a new driver can’t drive alone until they get their G2 and that’s 9 months after they get their G1.

My guess is the car will be in a few fender benders and / or trashed and abused as well. As a parent of a 19 year old girl and a 17 year old boy, my advice is good luck! Like most things, unless they have skin in the game and aren’t just handed things, pride and respect of ownership is lacking shall we say.
Your mileage may vary, but if teens there are similar to the rest of the North America...

Good luck!

I mean no I’ll will whatsoever, but I’ve seen first hand how these things go!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You can set up my key to put limits on the vehicle. Like for say limit the top speed since you really don’t want or need a 16 year old trying to see how fast his new car can go and wrecking at 130+ mph
Did not know that.

if its a performance pack it can go like 150 roughly, if its not a performance car it can hit 125.
if highway is 65, id limit that thing to 80. give him some passing power. doesn't need to be able to hit a 100

I would also keep 87 in it. honestly. saves $ and keeps power down. its still better than lets say a GT, but the car on 93 can still get its ass loose. 87 would help limit the take off throttle power which I feel is what causes wrecks in inexperienced, situations, ie hard rain and snow.

Sponsored

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Did not know that.

if its a performance pack it can go like 150 roughly, if its not a performance car it can hit 125.
if highway is 65, id limit that thing to 80. give him some passing power. doesn't need to be able to hit a 100

I would also keep 87 in it. honestly. saves $ and keeps power down. its still better than lets say a GT, but the car on 93 can still get its ass loose. 87 would help limit the take off throttle power which I feel is what causes wrecks in inexperienced, situations, ie hard rain and snow.
It’s pretty neat I tested it out for shits and giggles. You can also set it so that traction control and all the nanny systems cannot be disabled.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It’s pretty neat I tested it out for shits and giggles. You can also set it so that traction control and all the nanny systems cannot be disabled.
OP should look into this seriously. I feel he's 15, he should have these limits put on it, not saying he isn't responsible, wait til he has passengers who ask him to see what it can do, or showboating for a chic. a good year of limp mode will help him learn self control, I mean he chose the fastest color, red. he wants to speeeeed

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little background, he has skin in the game, it took two years of straight As with multiple honors and AP classes to put him in the drivers seat and it will take two more years to make it his permanently.

He’s been driving on a learners permit for 8 months now and is pretty close to 10,000 miles driven. By the time he gets his wings he’ll have 4,000 miles in the Mustang and 14,000 total....and he’ll be monitored with texts to me if he exceeds the parameters I set.

BigRed550 can you tell me about MyKey? Is it an App?

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
As someone who inherited Granny's 1971 Maverick (which had already been technically totaled by my older sister) when I was 15: I say "Good job , Dad and congrats to the young'n. Try to keep it out of the ditch."

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase