Bought my son a new 2020 Mustang EcoBoost

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
Very cool and I'm sure your son appreciates it. My dad helped me out getting my first car at 18; granted, it was a 110hp Mazda 3 and I wasn't winning any drag races any time soon but a fun car nonetheless. I learned how to maintain and take care of an automobile and eventually led to me learning how to modify them. Basically, the seeds to what made me an enthusiast today.

I had that car until I was 23 and it was a tremendous help not having a car payment when I got out of college and trying to get established.

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
Man, some people can't help but give unsolicited advice...

Congratulations on the car purchase and the level-headed teenager! You've put a lot of thought into the purchase and his future. I'm looking forward to doing something similar for my kids when they reach that age. šŸ‘

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
Rest assured your son is going to be one of the best drivers by the time he is eighteen. Rear wheel drive cars are different breeds especially with 300+ horsepower.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I set the speed limit at 75 and tried it out this morning after dropping him at school. It gives me a warning at about 65, and won't let the car go over 75. Pretty cool.
Yeah, I thought about that. I may up it to 80 mph
Do you have the digi dash and if so, how do you alter the speed limiter ?

I only have one option on my digi dash car (80mph) and I would like to reduce that - I use mykey as my service key ...

Cheers,

WD :like:

Sponsored

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
I knew everyone would come in here with all their nanny advice. Either you trust him or you don't. If you don't trust him, then you wouldn't have bought the car. Putting all the nannies in place just tells him you don't trust him and may actually catalyze the behavior you're trying to avoid. Leave it unrestricted, let him make his choices.

My dad bought me an '86 IROC for my first car in 1996. It was wrecked and I had tons of sweat equity in fixing it. Was super nice when it was done. It was way faster than the '84 Monte SS he had at the time and he considered selling it because of pressure like everyone is applying here. He told me he trusted me and he was going to stick to our agreement as long as I stuck to it as well. I behaved and I still have the car today.

Tell your son you respect him and you trust his judgement and then put your money where your mouth is and see if he rises to the occasion. If you put training wheels and guardrails on him his entire live he'll never grow up to be a man....

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
Very cool and I'm sure your son appreciates it. My dad helped me out getting my first car at 18; granted, it was a 110hp Mazda 3 and I wasn't winning any drag races any time soon but a fun car nonetheless. I learned how to maintain and take care of an automobile and eventually led to me learning how to modify them. Basically, the seeds to what made me an enthusiast today.

I had that car until I was 23 and it was a tremendous help not having a car payment when I got out of college and trying to get established.
Yeah, I think we're headed in that direction. He's into cars, now he has his Mustang and I have my Camaro. Doing some smaller mods on his car would be a cool father dad thing.

Do you have the digi dash and if so, how do you alter the speed limiter ?

I only have one option on my digi dash car (80mph) and I would like to reduce that - I use mykey as my service key ...

Cheers,

WD :like:
When I got to the speed limiter menu I believe I had to use the right arrow then I could scroll up and down through the options. I believe 80 was the highest option and 50 was the lowest, but I could be wrong.

I knew everyone would come in here with all their nanny advice. Either you trust him or you don't. If you don't trust him, then you wouldn't have bought the car. Putting all the nannies in place just tells him you don't trust him and may actually catalyze the behavior you're trying to avoid. Leave it unrestricted, let him make his choices.

My dad bought me an '86 IROC for my first car in 1996. It was wrecked and I had tons of sweat equity in fixing it. Was super nice when it was done. It was way faster than the '84 Monte SS he had at the time and he considered selling it because of pressure like everyone is applying here. He told me he trusted me and he was going to stick to our agreement as long as I stuck to it as well. I behaved and I still have the car today.

Tell your son you respect him and you trust his judgement and then put your money where your mouth is and see if he rises to the occasion. If you put training wheels and guardrails on him his entire live he'll never grow up to be a man....
I agree with a lot of what you said, but he'll be the bus driver next year and will be driving himself and his sister to HS and dropping off his little brother at MS. I'm thinking of slowly increasing the limiter, based on his good behavior.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
he has his Mustang and I have my Camaro.
and you're on speaking terms with each other? Let me guess the wife has a Charger. What keeps your family together without being torn apart by blind brand devotion?

/joking of course

Jennings1066

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ecoboost 6m pp
Congrats. Here is an idea.....just tell him you need to test or check something and you drive it alot.....couldnt hurt

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
and you're on speaking terms with each other? Let me guess the wife has a Charger. What keeps your family together without being torn apart by blind brand devotion?

/joking of course
Lol! No the wife has an Accord(shudder). Iā€™m trying to talk her into letting me get her a Raptor. I have thought about a supercharged Challenger, but I think my next car will be either a ZL1 1LE or a GT 500

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm on board with it. It's definitely a lot of car for a teenager, but at the same time it's also a very safe car. Old beaters aren't safe. With the MyKey speed limit he's not going to get away with anything crazy but will still be able to enjoy the power and torque.

Sign him up for a local SCCA/Autocross event once he gets his license. Not only will he have a ton of fun, he will get to learn how to manhandle a RWD car.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
I'm thinking of slowly increasing the limiter, based on his good behavior.
Increasing it for what purpose? He theoretically should never hit the speed limiter, so why even make it a thing? Just feels like micromanaging something minor when heā€™s already doing something major, like driving a car. I would have been annoyed and made fun of by my friends if my dad had some nanny device on my IROC when I was 16, it would have likely made me want to see what he was trying to keep me from doing. But let me be clear, Iā€™m not his dad, you are. Iā€™m just here to challenge the group think on this topic.
Also, I urge you to get him in a few autocross events this summer as others have mentioned Itā€™s a fantastic outlet for aggression and it teaches skills in a safe controlled environment. It will also show him that his ability to drive the car could use a lot of work. Itā€™s a much more constructive way to teach respect than having a speed limiter set. Just my $.02.

Sure it is.

0632C7EE-D7C5-4EDF-A509-FDFD772F3F87.jpeg
Not rare at all! šŸ˜‹
01CEACAB-E707-4530-8406-61F98A2E3474.jpeg

Juju5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Increasing it for what purpose? He theoretically should never hit the speed limiter, so why even make it a thing? Just feels like micromanaging something minor when heā€™s already doing something major, like driving a car. I would have been annoyed and made fun of by my friends if my dad had some nanny device on my IROC when I was 16, it would have likely made me want to see what he was trying to keep me from doing. But let me be clear, Iā€™m not his dad, you are. Iā€™m just here to challenge the group think on this topic.
Also, I urge you to get him in a few autocross events this summer as others have mentioned Itā€™s a fantastic outlet for aggression and it teaches skills in a safe controlled environment. It will also show him that his ability to drive the car could use a lot of work. Itā€™s a much more constructive way to teach respect than having a speed limiter set. Just my $.02.

Not rare at all! šŸ˜‹
01CEACAB-E707-4530-8406-61F98A2E3474.jpeg
Well yea but when your dad buys you a car these are the type of things you have to deal with. Yea sure you dont have to pay for your car or work for it but you get it limited and you can have it taken away. Thats why im glad i pay for my own mustang since i was 17 and got it , i can go as fast as i want lol.
Sponsored