Sponsored

Bought my son a new 2020 Mustang EcoBoost

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
You can set up my key to put limits on the vehicle. Like for say limit the top speed since you really don’t want or need a 16 year old trying to see how fast his new car can go and wrecking at 130+ mph
Totally agree with this.

OP - I know we seem like a bunch of negative people and you know how to raise your own kid. And that is one lucky kid to get a set of wheels like a new Mustang at that age. But if you’ll let me add my voice here, even though it’s not the V8 the Ecoboost is a very fast and powerful car. It would be considered almost an exotic in terms of power and speed from my day as a teen, more so by a good margin than the Mustangs and Camaros and even Corvettes of the day. Everything’s relative but fast is fast. And it has an exciting look, his friends are going to try to goad him into doing things in it they might not if he were in a Corolla.

Okay, lecture over....congrats to him and welcome to the club!
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree the Ecoboost is a very fast and powerful car. It would be considered exotic in terms of power and speed
Eb confirmed, master race car.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
A little background, he has skin in the game, it took two years of straight As with multiple honors and AP classes to put him in the drivers seat and it will take two more years to make it his permanently.

He’s been driving on a learners permit for 8 months now and is pretty close to 10,000 miles driven. By the time he gets his wings he’ll have 4,000 miles in the Mustang and 14,000 total....and he’ll be monitored with texts to me if he exceeds the parameters I set.

BigRed550 can you tell me about MyKey? Is it an App?
No it’s built directly into the car. If you remove the rubber insert in the cup holder you’ll see a spot to set the key. Then go into the settings on the gauge cluster and you will see my key where you can set limitations and a pin code so it can’t just be turned off. I would highly recommend it. 16 years olds no matter how smart will do stupid stuff eventually whether it’s peer pressure or showing off. Better to limit how much of the stupid stuff you can do. Just my opinion. But like I said I’m just throwing that out there for your knowledge so you know it’s a potential option if you decide.

You can set it for what ever key you set in the cup holder. So one key can be his with limitations and the other key can be yours with no limits. Or you can limit both.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Eb confirmed, master race car.
It sure would have been in the 80s! 98-102mph in the quarter was pretty damn fast back then. Still is - the EB is in the same speed league as the STI, Evo, Golf R, 05-10 GT, etc. And it would have smoked the old L98 corvettes and hung with a GN or GNX in terms of trap speed (but not et - can’t launch as well).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
That's useful information. I found the slot and turned MyKey on. Very cool. When he get his full DL this summer I'll still plug a monitor into the OOBD, but for now this is a good start.

yeah, the pants and slides. The kid is 15, but 6'1", and growing, it's hard to keep him in pants and shoes.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Wow lucky kid

I'd take the car to a welder and have them weld roll bars all around it. My kids have crashed 4 cars.. They're older now and don't crash cars thankfully :like:

FWIW , I bought my kids old Honda's for 5-8k. You're the best Dad ever. Will you adopt me ?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Wow lucky kid

I'd take the car to a welder and have them weld roll bars all around it. My kids have crashed 4 cars.. They're older now and don't crash cars thankfully :like:

FWIW , I bought my kids old Honda's for 5-8k. You're the best Dad ever. Will you adopt me ?
its not even the kids fault really, just inexperience to avoid others or avoid a wreck that was preventable that was learned with experience. not always them just flooring/going off road. Cleary adults do that too.

its so dangerous now with everyone texting and crossing lanes every other second from looking down. riding a motorcycle, its a whole different mindset defensively.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
its not even the kids fault really, just inexperience to avoid others or avoid a wreck that was preventable that was learned with experience. not always them just flooring/going off road. Cleary adults do that too.

its so dangerous now with everyone texting and crossing lanes every other second from looking down. riding a motorcycle, its a whole different mindset defensively.
Maybe ?

I've never crashed a car and i've had tons of muscle cars. Didn't have cell phones back then so maybe your on to something. My kids had old Honda's with 140Hp 4 cylinder motors and crashed 4 . I'm thinking the accidents would have been worse with a Mustang :crying:

If I had to do it all over again I'd go for welding roll bars on my kids cars :rockon:

93coupe/stroked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost base auto metalic
Took my 16 year old six months to crash the Nissan I bought her! Lucky her she hit a illegal from behind and it ran, leaving her losing freon and water from radiator!
Now as for that 2020 ecoboost you bought him mine ran 13.36 at 103 stock! So put some reins on him. Nice looking base ecoboost!

Sponsored

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
wow, I remember when I was 16. Damn if I would have had daddy buy me a new Mustang... Times are definitely different these days my father would not even pay for insurance let alone provide a brand new car. I had to earn it on my own. Can't say for your son but for me earning my way was a great lesson in life, and probably provided a responsible direction. I did grow up in rough times though as peer pressure was greatly aimed at party time, chasing girls, proving, and fast anything.

Hope you have done the right thing, and your son and his friends stay safe.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Nice ride! Hope your son throughly enjoys it!

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I bought my 15 year old a new EcoBoost a few weeks ago. Glad I found this forum. It's an impressive car. I got it for $24K and change out the door, which seemed like a steal for a new car. He does most of the driving (on a learner's permit) but I have driven it a bit and I'm impressed. Good value for what you spend.

The plan is to put a couple of thick gloss black racing stripes up the middle, an OEM rear spoiler, and eventually I would like to get him the tires and rims that come on the performance package EcoBoost. Pics to follow.
That's awesome! Congrats!

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Looks like a great kid. His necklace speaks volumes to me. As a parent, you have a pretty good idea what kind of a responsible person they are by 15. My daughter earned her first car by getting good grades and being a great all around kid. She always told me she wanted a white Camaro with black stripes.

1FE7A06F-2067-4891-9BAE-02B90323ED2E.jpeg

Here she was at 18 years old taking 3 laps at Kansas Speedway in her white Camaro with black stripes. I let her pace me for one quick run to about 90 mph. The grin says it all. She took great care of that car and drove it accident and ticket free for six years when she got a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I still drive the Camaro today.

OP, I imagine you feel the same way about your son. Teach them right and they will make you proud. Wishing your son many happy miles in that Mustang!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Congrats on the new ride and you did good with the pricing as well!

Hit up the classifieds on here, there’s been the PP rear spoiler and plenty of rims to choose from over the last 6 months.
Sponsored