Sponsored

Boss 302 2012/2013 Laguna Seca Extreme low mile: dangerous?

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 21 MACH 1
Hi there.
I've found a Boss 302 12/13 Laguna Seca Edition with only 1,400 miles on it.
I wonder about mechanical problems for a sports car as such that has been sleeping for so long time.
As commonly stated, "if you don't use, you loose it".
What issues can I have with this car for not being used? Hoses, brakes, engine moving parts, clutch?
I'd llike some opinions abt that for I am quite interested in purchasing it
BUT I DO FEAR ENCOUNTERING BAD WELCOMING SITUATIONS AS LONG THE CAR DOES NOT RUN AT ALL...
Thanks a lot
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Craigslist scam?
There are people you can contract to inspect vehicles you may purchase. They are worth the expense

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The biggest thing is just fluid deterioration but that largely depends on how it was stored. I assume a 1,400 mile 5/6 year old car would have been kept indoors. If you’re concerned about it, the main things would just be an oil change and clutch/brake line flush. Other than that I wouldn’t worry about a thing. Inspect the tires if they’re original. Rubber will dry rot over an extended period of time.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Every seal, gasket, and rubber part is suspect. Fluids of course. Hidden rust maybe.

I did something similar in 1999 with an ultra-low mileage rare Porsche, an 89 928GT that was barely run for 10 years. Spent $8k getting everything right over a year...thats in 1999 dollars. Never again for me.

Last edited:

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If it were me, I would look at how the car was stored. If indoors and treated fairly, I would buy it and change oil, coolant, gas and tires. Then test drive it to check the brakes. If they are good, then drive it how I intended to. If it has been stored outdoors for any length of time or looks like it has, I would pass on the car unless you can get it very very cheap compared to other models like it for sale.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
It's 5-6 years old, not 25. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all as long as it's been cared for, stored indoors, etc...

Get an inspection done, swap fluids, maybe the tires, drive it.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It should be fine- its' not that old. Just inspect and drive it. You probably want to change the coolant and brake fluid at least. Possibly the engine and transmission fluid- look at the maintenance records.

I just bought a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with only 19K miles on it- 1 owner. Stored inside in a climate controlled garage, purchased and registered in Florida- NO rust except minor surface rust on some of the axles and axle brackets- none on the frame or body. It drives absolutely great- like brand new. The radiator leaked- I replaced it and replaced the coolant. Also flushed the brake fluid, changed the transmission fluid, inspected and cleaned the brakes at all 4 corners. The bump stops were deteriorated, replaced them. It's like factory new now and it's over 20 years old. So you should be fine..

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's 5-6 years old, not 25. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all as long as it's been cared for, stored indoors, etc...

Get an inspection done, swap fluids, maybe the tires, drive it.
This.

Truthfully, the only thing I'd really be worried about at that age and mileage is the tires, and they're probably fine.

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for your responses; a good inspection and fluids change, checking tires breakes and stuff
and if it's all right I think I'll buy her and take good care of her.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It should be fine- its' not that old. Just inspect and drive it. You probably want to change the coolant and brake fluid at least. Possibly the engine and transmission fluid- look at the maintenance records.

I just bought a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with only 19K miles on it- 1 owner. Stored inside in a climate controlled garage, purchased and registered in Florida- NO rust except minor surface rust on some of the axles and axle brackets- none on the frame or body. It drives absolutely great- like brand new. The radiator leaked- I replaced it and replaced the coolant. Also flushed the brake fluid, changed the transmission fluid, inspected and cleaned the brakes at all 4 corners. The bump stops were deteriorated, replaced them. It's like factory new now and it's over 20 years old. So you should be fine..
A Jeep with a leaking radiator? Tell me more hahahaha.

As a two time Jeep Owner, it’s clear Chrysler never learned how to build a good cooling system.. at least not anytime before the late 2000’s.

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
What was the asking price?

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
What was the asking price?
Since the car had been brought legally to Brazil, asking price is the equivalent to 76k.
Let's say the same price for a brand new 2019 Mustang GT.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Since the car had been brought legally to Brazil, asking price is the equivalent to 76k.
I really admire that you bought the car. Well done.

My son was engaged to a beautiful girl from Brazil. It didn't happen (not sure why).

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Adelmar,
Well said , and I hope you know the entire Mustang community is with you.

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
Adelmar,
Well said , and I hope you know the entire Mustang community is with you.
Hi Doc.
I haven't bought the car yet; I'll get a test drive and a full check-out list with a mechanic first.
Thank you so much for your kind words.
PS - On the other hand, I must admit that I am enjoying my 2018 Mustang GT A10; being a faithful lover of the manuals,
I hereby declare that this A10 is very quick. So is the A8 in my Camaro SS.
In spite of it, a manual gives you the very thrill and bliss you deserve for a full control of the car.
I am still an old-fashiioned car guy...
Sponsored