BORLA ATAK WITH ACTIVE EXHAUST VALVES

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I have a question for those who currently have the BORLA ATAK cat-back or axle back system with active exhaust valves. One thing I noticed with the BORLA system is once the OEM actuator gear is placed over the BORLA valve slot, there is still an opening on top where water, dust, gravel, pebbles, rock salt, etc., can enter. FORD's active exhaust valve slot from the factory was completely enclosed. Has anyone ever had any problems with debris entering or problems with rust?

Thanks!
Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I've had my Type S on since November of 2021 and it has the same valve setup. We were confused to if we were installing it correctly but we did.. And no, no problems.

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Not Borla but corsa is essentially the same with how the actuator fits and have not seen or heard of any issues regarding what debris getting in there. Does not seem to be a common problem with these cars but rather the wire hardness or fuses :)

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
For anyone that is interested, below are the photos of my left and right actuators from the BORLA ATAK cat-back.
Right Actuator.jpg

Left Actuator.jpg

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Corsa does the same concept and one of our employee's car has had it for ~ 3 years now without any issues!

Sponsored

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
I posted about the same thing about 18 months ago when I got my S-Type. (same valve setup as someone else said) I found no reports of issues then, or to now. I pulled mine off recently (to do other work) to get it out of the way. I just checked it and strangely there is more dirt and gravel in the back of the unprotected magnaride plugs than the exhaust valve hollows. Agreed with another poster that the wiring protection (especially at the plugs) is very poor or non existent for protection and effective wiring strain relief. Ill be doing them again properly before it goes back together. I recommend paying attention to strain relief, cable to "something" fixing, and wire protection (and heat protection as well for the valve wiring), right up to the plugs.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Did you guys notice in the pics I uploaded that some rust is beginning to form on the top, open end of the actuator? BORLA said they use T 304 stainless steel. I thought T 304 stainless steel was rust proof? What can I put on it to stop the rust, if that is even rust I am seeing?

Thanks!

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Did you guys notice in the pics I uploaded that some rust is beginning to form on the top, open end of the actuator? BORLA said they use T 304 stainless steel. I thought T 304 stainless steel was rust proof? What can I put on it to stop the rust, if that is even rust I am seeing?

Thanks!

Nothing is "rust proof" when salt water is involved, I work in O&G industry and even the offshore stuff that is SS is sometimes coated or just replaced after a certain amount of time due to corrosion.
Sponsored