Sponsored

Bored; Am I the only one annoyed by this?

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day .........dude........issue < talk about annoying

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
“Camero”

Always appears on Craigslist every once and a while.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
How about when you ask what size tires are on it and they tell you the rim size !?:angry:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Irregardless: Regardless
— The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition, 2018

Irregardless: In nonstandard or humorous use: regardless.
— The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition, 1976

Irregardless: without attention to, or despite the conditions or situation; regardless
— Cambridge Dictionary (dictionary.cambridge.org), 2018

I thought you might not be aware :)

Webster actually has upgraded irregardless to a standard word.

I'm just a high school ger-adge-eee-yate so I am not as smart as your average college puke or so they would think:wink:. That said it annoys the heck out of me that people cannot comprehend the simple usage of the words there, their, and they're or when every first sentence is started with Well..... or So.....

I am not bothered so much by it here or in other forums as I am when I see it in the world of journalism. Those so called professionals supposedly learned sentence structure and grammar in high school and then perfected it through college. Yet they often write and/or speak as illiterate as a 12 year old. They use words like irregardless or boughten......both of which are not accepted words in the speech. What is the difference between REGARDLESS or the stupid over stated word IRREGARDLESS? And BOUGHTEN? Really? Used in a sentence, "It's store boughten" rather than "It's store bought". THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS BOUGHTEN!

Last but not least USE verses UTILIZE. People try to sound over intelligent by using utilize in place of use. If a product is performing its work as designed it is BEING USED. E.G. "I used the spatula to flip the hamburger". On the other hand if I reassign something to be used in a manner it was not designed though it works well in that way it is being UTILIZED. E.G. I utilized the spatula to scratch my itchy back."

I see things like this all the time in articles written by "accomplished journalist scholars". Seriously? They went to 4 more years of college to make grammar, and sentence structure, mistakes that an average high school grad can pick up on? Sounds to me like either college has gotten so easy I could get a degree, or college grads think they can overly rely on computers to catch all their mistakes today.

Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I think the most annoying one for me lately is the misspelling of the word lose. I think enough people have started spelling it "loose" that it might actually be sticking.

A newer one for me is the posts on facebook or elsewhere looking for something:

"ISO a new plumber that..." is acceptable
"ISO looking for a new plumber that..." is not acceptable. ISO is literally "In Search Of"

I guess its like the old ATM vs ATM Machine argument.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
ect rather than ETC. ETC is the abbreviation for etcetera.

Personally I refuse to refer to the power generating machine under the hood as a "MOTOR". It's an ENGINE. Motors are in Teslas and on furnaces, power lifts, conveyors, CNC machining centers, CNC Lasers, belt driven turntables, 8 track tape players, exhaust fans......they have windings in them.
An engine is under the hood of an automobile. I don't give a damn what the British call it....its a fricking engine. LOL!
Yeah but enginecycle doesn’t sound right

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
No more Motorsports, motorboating, motorcade, motorists, or built-motors, for you. :) Kidding of course.

I always refer to an electric motor or a combustion engine.

Reactions: XS

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
No more Motorsports, motorboating, motorcade, motorists, or built-motors, for you. :) Kidding of course.
Or Ford Motor Company. The idea that motor is electric and engine is mechanical is in the definition of neither.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sometimes it’s merely the damn built in spell checker thingamabob of the user’s device or forum software that puts the myriad of “like” words into the post/thread and the user never doubles back to check what they wrote before hitting that “post reply” button...

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yes, English can be weird. It can be understood through tough, thorough thought though.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
All your base are belong to us.

I hate when someone is trying to sell wheels with 'curve' damage. Or their rims have been 'curved'.
Sponsored