Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
Thanks for the feedback Kobi & Madlag.
I recently went to a Shelby club meeting and talked to a 07 Super Snake owner. He said no way would he put a supercharged car on the track and pointed me to the new corvette sitting in his garage (non sc car) and said that's his new track car. He said the snake runs great for 20 minutes out on the track then the car pulls power. My enjoyment from my car is out in the track, the car is such a beast, I just want more. Seems I can't have my cake and eat it too applies here.
So for me it's back to reality, leave it alone and enjoy it as Ford delivered it or look down the NA path of headers, tune, etc.....

Keith
Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Or turbo on low boost.......

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
whipple is good but has heat soak issues. and yes the cooling system is extra on top of it all but still from a cooling perspective not a good. Also I see a lot of blown up 350's running whipple. no science behind this statement just an observation.

plus, no way id change the dynamics of the handling by lowering the engine or removing the strut brace...
Hey man can you share what you know about the “blown up “ cars running the whipple ?
My voodoo is one of them and is in the process of being rebuilt after bending several rods .

I doubt the whipple tune had anything to do but I will be switching to a Lund tune and running E85 with the rebuilt engine .

Sent a PM too if you prefer to reply privately .

NTB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 Fathouse Twin Turbo, 21' GT500
Hey man can you share what you know about the “blown up “ cars running the whipple ?
My voodoo is one of them and is in the process of being rebuilt after bending several rods .

I doubt the whipple tune had anything to do but I will be switching to a Lund tune and running E85 with the rebuilt engine .

Sent a PM too if you prefer to reply privately .
I highly doubt there is "a lot of blown up 350's running whipple". There isn't an issue with the Whipple superchargers, it's always the tuning, or lack there of. I'm running 3 different Whipples, 1 on Cobra Jet, 1 on a Demon and 1 on a Hellcat. Each professionally tuned. The only folks that I ever see with problems on any supercharged / turbo cars are the ones that run "boxed" tunes. Supercharger & turbo manufacturers can't control additional mods and fuel type or quality.

After buying the car, adding the expense of the supercharger/turbos, the last place to save money is with a custom tune. If its not perfect out of the box you're either going to not maximize the potential output or "blow" something up. (My GT350 is a Twin Turbo by Fathouse)

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I highly doubt there is "a lot of blown up 350's running whipple". There isn't an issue with the Whipple superchargers, it's always the tuning, or lack there of. I'm running 3 different Whipples, 1 on Cobra Jet, 1 on a Demon and 1 on a Hellcat. Each professionally tuned. The only folks that I ever see with problems on any supercharged / turbo cars are the ones that run "boxed" tunes. Supercharger & turbo manufacturers can't control additional mods and fuel type or quality.

After buying the car, adding the expense of the supercharger/turbos, the last place to save money is with a custom tune. If its not perfect out of the box you're either going to not maximize the potential output or "blow" something up. (My GT350 is a Twin Turbo by Fathouse)
I agree. Whenever I read boosted motors blowing I cant say the majority has been one type of setup, its been a variety of superchargers and turbochargers. We have no idea how these people have been driving their vehicles, how they are tuning their cars, and if they are even properly monitoring the vehicle. I for one did not go cheap on my tuning, spared no expense....didn't even open the Whipple tune box.

Since I've gone forced induction, I've been monitoring this vehicle like a hawk.....constantly seeing whats normal and easing my way into my pulls. I still have yet to redline through all my gears, I'm just taking my time and making sure the vehicle likes to be force fed :like:

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I agree. Whenever I read boosted motors blowing I cant say the majority has been one type of setup, its been a variety of superchargers and turbochargers. We have no idea how these people have been driving their vehicles, how they are tuning their cars, and if they are even properly monitoring the vehicle. I for one did not go cheap on my tuning, spared no expense....didn't even open the Whipple tune box.

Since I've gone forced induction, I've been monitoring this vehicle like a hawk.....constantly seeing whats normal and easing my way into my pulls. I still have yet to redline through all my gears, I'm just taking my time and making sure the vehicle likes to be force fed :like:
I certainly don’t consider using the whipple tune “cheap “
The whipple engineer has more access to data from Ford than any other after market tuner .

I also sent multiple street and dyno logs to the whipple engineer for review and had several revisions .
Stuff can break no matter who is tuning especially when you are adding FI to a highly strung motor like the voodoo . Heck stop breaks on unmolested stock motors .

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I certainly don’t consider using the whipple tune “cheap “
The whipple engineer has more access to data from Ford than any other after market tuner .

I also sent multiple street and dyno logs to the whipple engineer for review and had several revisions .
Stuff can break no matter who is tuning especially when you are adding FI to a highly strung motor like the voodoo . Heck stop breaks on unmolested stock motors .
My apologies, I didn't mean for anyone to think the Whipple tune is "cheap". I mean its an expensive and reliable kit! Nothing cheap about it.

I meant in general terms, I didn't go cheap and try to cut corners on tuning, that's all I meant :wink:. I will say Whipple customer service is fantastic, I received top notch help with one wiring issue I had with the IC pump and Spal fans. Gave me a solution to the problem immediately.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Based on the differences between the first, and second calibration I received from Whipple, your a fool If you don't read it with HP Tuners and have a reliable calibrator clean it up on the dyno.

The second cal had a spark adjustment table completely zerod out. So on a revision that was for a rich idle, my spark values changed.

Complete shit QA.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My apologies, I didn't mean for anyone to think the Whipple tune is "cheap". I mean its an expensive and reliable kit! Nothing cheap about it.

I meant in general terms, I didn't go cheap and try to cut corners on tuning, that's all I meant :wink:. I will say Whipple customer service is fantastic, I received top notch help with one wiring issue I had with the IC pump and Spal fans. Gave me a solution to the problem immediately.
No apologies needed . I was under the impression the whipple tune was more reliable especially for the GT 350.

Based on the differences between the first, and second calibration I received from Whipple, your a fool If you don't read it with HP Tuners and have a reliable calibrator clean it up on the dyno.

The second cal had a spark adjustment table completely zerod out. So on a revision that was for a rich idle, my spark values changed.

Complete shit QA.
Lesson learned I guess .... neither the first or the last tune with software upgrade adjusted timing for even 116 octane(KR was never -)

You could add timing with the tool .

I was running out the rest of my race gas before switching to Lund and E85 . I guess I should have switched earlier .

Will@whipple is rebuilding the block so I might see what he has to say .

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
FYI, Wasn't meaning to say you were a fool buddy, I get emotional.Your calibration might have been fine. That said, I get knock on the 3.75 pulley. If I ran there second cal as is I might have went over the cals ability to pull timing.

Interesting, do they have the flare for the gt350 now?

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, Wasn't meaning to say you were a fool buddy, I get emotional.

Interesting, do they have the flare for the gt350 now?
No offense taken either . I joke I have technical disability but I try to learn from my mistakes .

Yes ,hey sent me a tune/software update with the guardian features including valet ,timing adjust , torque per gear .
I had added 0.8 * with the 3.5 pulley /C16 and was not seeing any knock in the street .

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
My impression talking to several tuners are that the Whipple Cals for the gt350 are not so hot. It never worked for me. All I changed was injectors, and long tubes / cats. IPC errors all over the place and ultimately needed a re-calibration of the MAF curve. The SD tables also have some really jagged areas which I didn't really understand. There was also some throttle closing at WOT due to some issues with the driver demand tables.

I'm not able to command much timing so I am going to use a can of boostane and be sure its not false knock.

I also have some startup issues my tuner is looking a now.

Hardware wise Whipple has went above and beyond, I want to put one on my truck, but I wont run a canned calibration.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
you had no knock with 93?

My base cal was from last year some time. Do you happen to have a hp tuners read of the cal you have now?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you had no knock with 93?

My base cal was from last year some time. Do you happen to have a hp tuners read of the cal you have now?
I never went back to 93 once i went down to the 3.625 pulley .
i ran 104 octane until I deleted the cats then started running 112- 116 octane both leaded but the former is cheaper .

I have some logs with N gauge (don’t know if it’s the same as the HP tuner ) but don’t think that’s what you are asking anyway .
Sponsored