Sponsored

Boost Works S550 Turbo Kit In Development!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Good luck going forward Travis and company!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We've been using Comp Turbo's oil-less bearing housing for years.. It's survived brutal beatings in land speed racing, as well as day to day traffic in normal street driven vehicles.

The great thing about these turbos is that they don't require engine oil. No tapping of the oil pan.. no oil lines to run.. no scavenge pump for mid-mount. Simply install them and go. Every other oil change, pump a few shots of the supplied Military Spec turbine grease into them, and you're good to go. Service life is around 60K miles before you need to have them inspected.

With triple ceramic bearings supporting state of the art turbine wheel/shaft and compressor wheel, this represents a state of the art solution in a market flooded with old, outdated technology.

Each Comp Triplex 2.0 bearing housing is machined from 6061 billet aluminum, not cast iron. The bearings are hugely oversized for their intended application, and everything is made in-house, with exception to the castings for the housings. Those are handled state-side, though.. Everything is made in America, assembled in-house at Comp. I had a chance to visit their Pomona, CA facility last June and I was impressed at the technology packed into that one building.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Now, we're talking...
Getting oil in and out, in the long run becomes an issue.

Do these turbos use water for cooling?
Not only that, but it subjects the turbo to any debris or break down in oil viscosity.

These are water cooled, which helps extend service life, and maintains a constant bearing housing temp.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Now, we're talking...
Getting oil in and out, in the long run becomes an issue.

Do these turbos use water for cooling?
High temp grease?

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Then why are the guys on yellowbullet saying they need to be taken off every 20k and have the center cartridge repacked with grease or you can send them back to comp and they will do it and extended your warranty by a year each time?

Brian Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Definitely interested in learning more about this set-up. I know there's a shop in Houston using those turbos on a kit they sell for our cars, but after I did some research on those turbos I decided not to go that route. Of course they have improved these turbos over the years, but some chevy guys were using them and it seemed that all of the long-term feedback was very negative. I think on the current turbo they require service every 30k miles? Which isn't too bad if true. So if those turbos are improved and get good long-term feedback I'll definitely consider your kit when it comes out.

My car is a daily driver so reliability is an important factor in the power adder I end up choosing. Glad to see yet another option for our cars, so good luck with the kit development.

lex101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
well guys, it's been a fun journey having my KB setup come out of boost works and im more then happy to have him fabricate on my car for his first twin turbo setup for our platform!

Stay tuned!

Sponsored

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
Then why are the guys on yellowbullet saying they need to be taken off every 20k and have the center cartridge repacked with grease or you can send them back to comp and they will do it and extended your warranty by a year each time?
Can you post a link so I can read up?

I've personally never used their turbochargers, but I see several companies offering them.

I know Boost Works has had good luck with their product.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Can you post a link so I can read up?

I've personally never used their turbochargers, but I see several companies offering them.

I know Boost Works has had good luck with their product.
That was days ago. Id have to hunt again. :lol: If you search comp turbos on yellowbullet youd most likely find it.

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The issues with Comp were years ago.. Their first generation of oil-less turbos were based off of reconfigured iron housings, used to circulate oil. In other words, they machined parts to fit inside of existing old school bearing housings.

About 2 years ago, Comp started with a clean sheet build, and designed a complete cartridge/bearing housing from the ground up. This allowed them to use bigger bearings, and space parts how they wanted to space them. The result has been a bullet-proof Gen 2 design that we stand behind 100%. These guys warranty what they sell, and thus far, we have not had a single warranty claim due to failure. :)

We do realize that changing the thinking in the turbo world isn't going to happen overnight, and obviously Comp knew that it wouldn't come without some growing pains. But, this is the real deal, and it works great.

I spoke with Ernie at Comp Turbo yesterday, and he confirmed that the Gen 2 oil-less housings are good for around 60K miles before they need to be serviced at Comp. Usually, servicing includes disassembly, cleaning, new seals, reassemble and balance. It's more precautionary at this point, as they really haven't seen any failures. The original test car that ran these 2 years ago now has 68K miles on it. They were recently pulled off and inspected. There was nearly zero wear, and they were put back together/reinstalled. I suspect that as long as they are maintained properly, they would last the life of the vehicle. But, time will tell.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.