Not open for further replies.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It's always interesting to speculate what the response is going to be like when we start discussing forced induction, and this new GT350 platform..

We've seen comments from mild to wild as we dig through posts, youtube pages, etc. I think for something like this (platform), it's important to not lose sight of the car and it's design/tendencies. We want a LOT of power.. because a lot of power is fun. Let's face it, who has never grinned ear to ear when they stab the throttle at highway speeds in a 850-900whp car? :D What we don't want to do is change the sound, and/or the power band so much that it becomes "not a GT350" anymore.

With this in mind, we are starting with a base GT350 with tech package, coolers, and a whole lot of nothing else.

We want to keep the sound and the snarl of this beast. So, the dual mode exhaust system will remain.

The key to keeping the sound the same (with the addition of some turbine music) is to build a proper set of manifolds. The turbo manifolds will be built from 321 stainless steel, and will feature 1.75" primaries with 2.5" collectors. The runner length will be optimized to make the best use of the flat plane engine's exhaust pulses for scavenging, as well as timing the pulses to reach the turbine in a fixed pattern. This will help with transient response and lag. They will feature 4-1 collectors with a proper "merge". If we get it right, the car should sound amazing, and retain the sound that you are all now very familiar with. Much like our C7 Stingray Twin Turbo system, our fabrication methods won't stray far away..

Speaking of lag.. We've decided to not go out and stick some huge turbos on this thing. We are going to go with JUST enough for what we need. This will make for a very linear power band with almost non-existent lag.

The weapon of choice is a Comp Turbo Triplex billet wheel 5862. These turbochargers are unique in that they do not require engine oil. They use a triple ceramic ball bearing design and a high temp turbine grease. All of which is packaged into a billet aluminum cartridge.

These are really state of the art, and we've worked with the guys at Comp on some pretty nasty builds here at Boost Works. With 50K mile service intervals, and maint. as simple as using the provided grease gun every 3-4K miles (or every oil change), it's really a no-brainer.

As far the rest of the build.. We'll be rolling it out in chunks. :) But, here's the outline:

Power Train

Fully built/sleeved GT350 Engine
- Custom billet I-beam rods
- Custom 2618 Diamond forged pistons
- H11 tool steel wrist pins
- MPR Sleeved block
- Billet oil pump gears
- Billet lower timing chain gear
- Factory Voodoo heads with upgraded valve springs and retainers
- ARP head and main studs

Tremec Magnum XL Transmission Swap
- Rated at 700ft lbs of TQ (conservatively)
- Slightly taller 2.97 first gear will make better use of the power
- Close 1st-4th ratios will help to keep the GT350's power band what it was before
- Custom McLeod Original Street Twin clutch, with Borg & Beck style pressure plate (gets rid of the crappy diaphragm traditional pressure plate design) Tested to 10K rpm!
- Custom carbon fiber drive shaft
- DSS 1400hp half shafts

We will also be experimenting with flow rates of the OEM twin fuel pump design using Kenne Bell's tried and true dual 40amp/20 volt Boost-a-Pump voltage booster. This has been proven to provide enough fuel for 1000whp with the GT500. We're hoping for similar results here. If not, we'll redesign with a new basket and pump setup.

m-9407-msvt.jpg

attachment.jpg

Oh, and yes.. it's going on the corn. This beast will be fed a steady diet of E85 fuel to safely generate (what we're hoping) will be in excess of 900-1000hp at the wheels.

Speaking of tuning.. None other than the team at Lund Racing will be pecking away at the keys to bring this beast to life. We will use Lund Racing's nGauge, with ID1300 injectors. They have earned the trust of the market, and they have certainly earned our trust over the last few years that we've worked with them. They are a huge part of the success we've had here at Boost Works thus far.

Stay tuned in the coming months as we start to tear into this beast. :)

:cheers:
Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Another poor GT350 getting the forced induction treatment. I'm sure you'll all do a great job, but this really isn't the car for forced induction. I'm not sure how any of this is going to make it a better car on the race track.

Last edited:

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
Props to Boost Works for building the engine internals to handle the boost, looking forwards to seeing the results!

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would of been nice to see how far you got on stock components
We're thinking about doing some testing on the stock engine. I believe that 750-800whp on good fuel is do-able. Lethal has shown that the engine is pretty stout.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Another poor GT350 getting the forced induction treatment. I'm sure you'll all do a great job, but this really isn't the car for forced induction. I'm not sure how any of this is going to make it a better car on the race track.
Staged boost levels with the emphasis on creating a very wide tq curve will definitely compliment this car on the track. You can always add power while retaining the true nature of what the car was intended for. :)

G-FORCE

PATRIOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
MANY
Keep up the great work. I have had several 800 plus RWHP cars that would not stop or turn worth a crap. I bought the GT350 knowing all these bases were covered for a great street car except power. 526 HP is a nice starting point, but won't cut it for a fun street car that weighs 3650lbs. I just don't get it when folks proclaim that we should not make more power when 99 percent of the miles most of us put on the GT350 is cruising or just out raising hell.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Man, better go tell all those race car builders about how turbos suck for the track. I'm sure the fact that turbos end up on every racecar that has a sanctioning body that allows it is merely a result of ignorance

Sponsored

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
this looks promising. that turbo manifold and turbos looks sick. i also like the fact that they wont be punching a whole in the composite oil pan. Sounds like a solid plan. cant wait to see finished product/ youtube videos.

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Making some good progress on the turbo manifolds! True 4-1 merge collectors, CNC milled stainless T3 transition flanges. All sourced, machined, and fabricated in the USA! :)
FB_IMG_1473399205619.jpg
FB_IMG_1473838973170.jpg
FB_IMG_1473837700019.jpg

Poisond281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing exciting
Sub'd!!

chops44

Threads
Reaction score