Sponsored

Boost by gear and traction calculation by manual trans ratio

Fastime331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT ingot silver
This is an oversimplified question/answer theory but hear me out.
Right now with 850whp (14 psi boost) I can get full traction in 3rd gear 1.67:1 ratio (stock MT82).
With all variables like weight, road surface, etc. being the same, can you take 850 x 1.67 and get the number 1420 then apply 1420 as the traction baseline number (coefficient) and use that to estimate how much horsepower you can put down to the ground in the next higher gear???
Example, by dividing 1420 by 1.24 (4th gear ratio) Which equals 1145whp. capacity.

I'm putting a fully built and sleeved longblock in over the next two weeks and Tremec T56 Magnum to go with the Hellion TT kit then adding a Cortex boost controller.

Using that formula I get the following estimates:
1st gear 2.66 1420/2.66 = 533 hp
2nd gear 1.78 1420/1.78 = 797 hp
3rd gear 1.30 1420/1.30 = 1092 hp
4th gear 1.00 1420/1/00 = 1420 hp
5th/6th Not calculated

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No, no and no. You are over simplifying a mechanical process=traction. The coefficient of traction (also, the "coefficient of friction") is defined as the usable force for traction divided by the weight on the running gear (wheels, tracks etc.) i.e.: usable traction = coefficient of traction x normal force.

You would have to have a race spec datalogging setup to actually verify that you have full traction. Just thinking that you do by the seat of the pants is not sufficient. Then:

Next you don't know the power delivery aspects of the new engine-when the peak hp hits etc..

Also, as your speed increase, the car will begin to experience aerodynamic lift. That could significantly affect traction. This being a street car: downforce and underbody air scavenging is virtually non-existent.

Research the history of this car and its various iterations to see what you are proposing is not as simple as it seems.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
When you are ready to start making hits, test your theory by adjusting boost for each of the gears that fall within the range of hp adjustment available. Because science.

OP
OP
Fastime331

Fastime331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT ingot silver
When you are ready to start making hits, test your theory by adjusting boost for each of the gears that fall within the range of hp adjustment available. Because science.
Yes, definitely planned on doing this. Hoping to hear from someone who's already done this and can say what their experience was and if that formula is even remotely close.
If not I will rewrite the post with the actual numbers based on boost.
Sponsored