Sponsored

Bodyshop ripping me off or telling the truth?

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Hey guys, I recently had my bumper replaced with a premium rear and have noticed some rather large gaps in the fitment. When I pointed it out to the bodyshop, they said that it was due to the bumper itself. The gaps are pretty noticeable and I am not pleased with them at all. It's been in twice to have it adjusted and it hasn't gotten any better. Am I SOL? At this point, I feel like taking it to a different shop to align it properly. The bodyshop that did the swap said that I would likely have to pay for any repairs/adjustments from this point out. The car was hit from the rear but the damage wasn't anything too bad. I opted to replace the bumper cover simply to upgrade. Even with the prior damage, the gaps were not this noticeable.

Photos of the gaps on both sides -

Sponsored

GT Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I wouldn't accept that fitment. Did you buy the bumper cover or did the body shop?

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I wouldn't accept that fitment. Did you buy the bumper cover or did the body shop?
They purchased it and the invoice lists it as an OEM product. I don't know what to do at this point. My car's spent more time with them than it has with me lately.

Edit: All repairs were funded by insurance, if it matters. I only paid my deductible.

GT Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
You might be able to take it up with your adjuster if the body shop is one of the ins companies preferred shops, or maybe even if its not.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
You might be able to take it up with your adjuster if the body shop is one of the ins companies preferred shops, or maybe even if its not.
It's not one of their preferred shops, unfortunately. I've done business with them in past and had good experiences. The manager is a good guy and just said I'm welcome to bring it back, he just doesn't know how much better they can get it to fit. It can't be that hard, I feel like I could do a better job aligning it in my garage.

Sponsored

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
What work was done on the rear? Rear body panel repairs? Floor? Unibody pulls? Etc...

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
That's strange, I would make sure they bought an Oem cover, instead of reman. The reman is Oem but typically a previously damaged cover that has been repaired and sometimes not repaired correctly....It looks like the right side is bulged out a bit, is that accurate?

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Is this something I may have a shot at fixing myself? I.e. - removing the bumper cover and reinstalling it.

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
You risk damaging your finish if you don't install and re install correctly.. But yes this is something you could do... I haven't seen the brackets on the new GT, but I'd bet you could have a bracket bent etc... Do you have a pic of the bumper on the car being damaged?

Sponsored

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
They might have broken the bumper stays when they took the old one off. If you want to try to fix it your self you will have to remove the 7mm screw at the front edge of the bumper. With the way the gap looks it will probably come loose with little effort and you can look at the bumper stays and see if any tabs are broken. If they aren't broken I don't know what you can do to make it fit better.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Do not try to do anything yourself. If you're not happy with it, talk to the insurance. That should be able to be massaged out.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
That is not acceptable. Did you already sign off on the work? If not they shouldn't be able to charge you until you are happy. That first pic with the bulge could be the rear of the bumper is pushed in to far on that side, maybe from hidden uncorrected damage?

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
You risk damaging your finish if you don't install and re install correctly.. But yes this is something you could do... I haven't seen the brackets on the new GT, but I'd bet you could have a bracket bent etc... Do you have a pic of the bumper on the car being damaged?
The damage is towards the bottom, just right of the center of the bumper. It was a mild dent and some scratches that wouldn't buff out.

They might have broken the bumper stays when they took the old one off. If you want to try to fix it your self you will have to remove the 7mm screw at the front edge of the bumper. With the way the gap looks it will probably come loose with little effort and you can look at the bumper stays and see if any tabs are broken. If they aren't broken I don't know what you can do to make it fit better.
If they are broken, will I need a new bumper cover?

Do not try to do anything yourself. If you're not happy with it, talk to the insurance. That should be able to be massaged out.
So I should talk to insurance before I try again with the bodyshop?

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
That is not acceptable. Did you already sign off on the work? If not they shouldn't be able to charge you until you are happy. That first pic with the bulge could be the rear of the bumper is pushed in to far on that side, maybe from hidden uncorrected damage?
Unfortunately, I signed off already. The first time I picked the car up. I signed without even thinking to check first since I had nothing but good work done by them in the past. I strongly doubt there's any underlying damage.

I am so upset right now, I don't even know how to word it. If you're in the business of bodywork, how hard is it to do proper bodywork?!
Sponsored