Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Clock those bushings after lowering your S550!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
$50-100 extra would be reasonable, IMO. The ride will improve, feel less bouncy, and it will prevent the bushings from failing early.
Well worth the money.
Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Alignment kit came early, so I'll be stopping by the tire shop to get my alignment tomorrow. Excited to see the difference!

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Also measure wheel well height before and after reindexing. Should drop about 1/4 to 1/8 inch or so. A jackass local shop did mine with the tires hanging the first time and ride height increased. It should be done on a drive up rack.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well worth the money.
And once you get rid of the bushings at the main points, even better ride, though with slightly more NVH.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Also measure wheel well height before and after reindexing. Should drop about 1/4 to 1/8 inch or so. A jackass local shop did mine with the tires hanging the first time and ride height increased. It should be done on a drive up rack.
Should I have them loosen all the bushings first before torquing them or can they do them one by one?

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Should I have them loosen all the bushings first before torquing them or can they do them one by one?
Loosen the bushing bolts. Your car will settle to the new lowered ride height. Then tighten them up. Torque to spec. Enjoy your new badass lowered stanced 550.

Last edited:

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Loosen the bushing bolts. It will settle to the new lowered ride height. Then tighten them up. Torque to spec.
Can the shop do one bolt at a time, or should they loosen all bolts, let it settle and then re tighten them? Or does it matter?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can the shop do one bolt at a time, or should they loosen all bolts, let it settle and then re tighten them? Or does it matter?
Loosening all will make for the best results, as it'll let the car rest where it wants all around.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Loosening all will make for the best results, as it'll let the car rest where it wants all around.
^^^^^^^^^
This. And make sure they torque to spec.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes to loosening all of them. Otherwise the sta-bars could artificially hold the singly-loosened corner up a little.

I suppose you could disconnect the bars, but if you're going to do that you might as well just loosen the bolts you're going to eventually be loosening anyway.

Norm

Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Wow huge difference this made! Still on base suspension but a lot of the floatyness is gone and it just feels overall tighter. Will measure later to see if I dropped any more but before I took it in, the right front was sitting about a .25 higher than the other side. Thanks @BMR Tech for this tip!

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@BMR Tech the torque spec for the bolts are they the same for cars equipped with magneride?

I did post this in another will put it here as well

"Sorry for a stupid question but with a regular torque wrench is it possible to by hand tighten those bolts that are specced to 203fr/lbs. Specially if the car is on stands?"

Stands maybe is wrong, I have wheel cribs but thinking lying on the ground is not the most optimum considering the amount of force required (203ft/lbs)

the reason I am asking is I don't want to be stranded if it s not possible even to get to a shop if the task seems to be to challenging.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have wheel cribs but thinking lying on the ground is not the most optimum considering the amount of force required (203ft/lbs)
Maybe I'm a wimp but I recently did some 129 ft/lbs on my back and I'm guessing 203 would have been impossible.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm a wimp but I recently did some 129 ft/lbs on my back and I'm guessing 203 would have been impossible.
haha yes that is my concern. The ones who have done this on the driveway are hulks?

I am by no means weak but that amount that is required is quite a lot. Again if the torque wrench arm 1500mm then maybe yes and unfortunately one cannot simply extend the arm of a torque wrench

Slow6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 401A PP1
haha yes that is my concern. The ones who have done this on the driveway are hulks?

I am by no means weak but that amount that is required is quite a lot. Again if the torque wrench arm 1500mm then maybe yes and unfortunately one cannot simply extend the arm of a torque wrench
I by no means have tried this with that specific bolt, but would a trusty cheater bar piece of pipe on the torque wrench help?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.