Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
No, all the pics I’ve seen of it show it butting up against the inside edge where the halfshaft meets the hub. I just don’t know where people are getting these or why so many cars don’t have them.
Sponsored

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I found it..........

Washer - Thrust - Ford (FR3Z-7G273-A)

dsBuffer.jpg
Thrust washer.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Curious if EVERY problem this thread is about were cars missing those thrust washers from the factory.

Seanay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A PP2
I posted before but I had one in my pp 2016. Based on what some.have already also posted, I took mine out and simply did not replace it as the new one I had was the same exact size. My first one on driver side was completely warped and it was the source of the noise 100%.

After the shop and I took it out and looked at where it sits and the likelihood of it coming apart again , as in coming loose and being literally bent out of shape again we're pretty high. Took about 28000 miles for it start making the rattle. We decided not to put it back on and noise went away completely. Now the other side is rattling with same exact noise....Ford quality...my car was close to 50k new ...I shouldn't have parts coming loose at 28k miles and have a thread with 100 posts on it.

I don't think you need it, there is no way that little friction washer as thin as it is and no special holding grooves or notches could affect your diff or torque converter like some try to say. If you don't mind having to replace it again in a year or two replace. It's going to keep getting warped and crushed and shop guy also said he did not see a reason for it mechanically due to where it was, flimsy size, and lack of practical way of getting it to hold steady.

Also lots others on here with 17 and up said they didn't have it when they opened theirs up so ford might have just ditched it after 2 production years. FRP shafts do not have them for sure and neither does the other aftermarkets.

Sponsored

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Could this be the source of my single pop noise about a second after reversing? Seems to be driver rear. It's not a clack like a stuck brake caliper.

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was a metal on metal "Tink or Clink" like 2 pieces of metal hitting together. It would happen everytime the wheel changed direction, when I gave it gas. Just once or twice a sharp metal "Tink, Tink" then nothing until I put the car in the opposite direction, then gave it gas. I hope this helps.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sounds like Ford should have used a reverse thread on the driver's side axle nut, so the car's rotating motion would tend to tighten the nut (like on the right side), rather than loosen it. Curious if I find mine loose when I get the pads changed; hopefully it was fixed for late 2019 cars. In addition, tracking probably accelerates that, which I won't do, so we'll see :).

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Does anyone know what size the threads are?

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Sounds like Ford should have used a reverse thread on the driver's side axle nut, so the car's rotating motion would tend to tighten the nut (like on the right side), rather than loosen it. Curious if I find mine loose when I get the pads changed; hopefully it was fixed for late 2019 cars. In addition, tracking probably accelerates that, which I won't do, so we'll see :).
Mopar may have a patent on that. I think I recall some reverse threads on an old Dodge a friend had.

Now I have to research if torque wrenches need to be calibrated in both directions or if one way covers both.

Seanay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A PP2
Mine was a metal on metal "Tink or Clink" like 2 pieces of metal hitting together. It would happen everytime the wheel changed direction, when I gave it gas. Just once or twice a sharp metal "Tink, Tink" then nothing until I put the car in the opposite direction, then gave it gas. I hope this helps.
Hey jet i have described mine exactly the same, smalll light piece of tin or metal hitting against another solid heavier piece of metal. Like if you took the lid off of a metal can and dragged it across a solid haevy piece with some torque on it which now makes sense.

What was the piece you had to replace on yours? Mine was just the washer, took out and did not replace fixed completely. But now PS is making the sake as described above with a different heavier thunk or clunk type of noise which might be wheel bearing with the washer

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What was the piece you had to replace on yours? Mine was just the washer, took out and did not replace fixed completely. But now PS is making the sake as described above with a different heavier thunk or clunk type of noise which might be wheel bearing with the washer
img_20200819_143001-jpg.jpg

Everything pictured (left side old parts/ right side new). Thrust washer, Axle nut, Wheel Hub assy, part numbers are on the bags.
The hub assy I bought on ebay. Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2015-2017-Ford-Mustang-REAR-ONLY-Wheel-Hub-Assembly-OE-Replacement-New/173737579909?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I heard a squeaking, clicking noise when backing up the other day. I wonder if it is the axle nuts. heard it through the cabin
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.