Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Checked mine out over the weekend . Everything is still nice and tight after 7K miles.

I wonder if a heavy duty lock washer would help any?
No idea, I am going to try to try the lots of red thread lock method after I get the right ones from Ford.
Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK so the trip to Ford for once didn't make me want to stab my eyes out with a frozen squirrel. If anybody is looking for these here is the part number CCPZ-3B477-F. It has what appears to be a thread lock of some sort in a green color. I will be dousing it and the axle threads with red thread lock when I put these on just to make sure they dont back off again, plus an impact would spin them right off if removal is needed. They did have to use the last 8 of my VIN so I am not sure if they differ based off of the model. I have a 2015 GTpp.
2015 Mustang GTpp rear axle nut (Large).jpg

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These are what came off, nut with an attached free spinning washer. Guess the made a revised version. Used a 1&1/4" to take the old one off and a 31mm to put the new one on.
IMG_3321.jpg

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Would it be okay just to check the torque and not replace if they seem tight?

Sponsored

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
That's what I did. I have the replacements in case I ever need them, but mine were still tight.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would it be okay just to check the torque and not replace if they seem tight?
I got a set but they were the wrong ones, so I just tightened mine up since they were so loose. By the time I got to work the next morning they were making noise again. New ones were 6 bucks at Ford. It takes longer to get the wheels off and on than it does to spin the old nut off and put new on. Put the new ones at 150lbs 1/8th turn and red thread lock.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Well mine must have been virgins cuz they were both very tight...:D

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
For what it's worth, I tightened my original axle/spindle nut and applied loctite. The noise went away briefly and then came back minutes later. Today I replaced the nut with the aforementioned one in this thread. Applied loctite, let it sit, retqorqued and made sure it was at 150ft lbs. The noise disappeared and then came back a few hours later. I'm at a loss here. I'll take any suggestions. The wheel bearing was tight and had no issues.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I have had my drivers front and rears replaced with the new, non-castle style. I have been having weird issues with a "wiggly" feel in the rear, so we put it up on the lift today and the driver AND passenger rears are extremely loose, the passenger side in particular. Yet another trip to the dealer tomorrow for two more replacements.

Last edited:

Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth, I tightened my original axle/spindle nut and applied loctite. The noise went away briefly and then came back minutes later. Today I replaced the nut with the aforementioned one in this thread. Applied loctite, let it sit, retqorqued and made sure it was at 150ft lbs. The noise disappeared and then came back a few hours later. I'm at a loss here. I'll take any suggestions. The wheel bearing was tight and had no issues.
Did you check the wheel bearing to make sure they were still good? No wobble as [MENTION=20085]moffetts[/MENTION] has in his video.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I just had the same issue wheel bearing. Mine went bad at 24k miles. The nuts were fine. After a month or so after the sound started you could shake the wheel when the car was on the ground lol

When does is creak exactly?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I actually had to argue with with dealer in order to get the bearings replaced under warranty. Not good.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's back.... FML... I only heard it twice in a few days and a trip from Huntsville, AL to Nashville Cars & Covfefe included. 48k on the clock so I'm sure its not going to be under warranty. Going to have to figure this out soon.

I wonder if there is a service record database that we could access somehow to find what issues people have had and what the resolution was.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if putting 2 on if it could be used like a jam nut?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.