Sponsored

BMR Sway Bar bracket forewarning! 2015-2017

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just a forewarning, if you purchase the BMR Sway bars, the front sway bar brackets come with Allen screws, unless there is an easier way to install the driver side bracket that I don't know about, had to cut a 10mm allen wrench down to about 3/4 of an inch, and used a box end ratchet to tighten down. The alternator is in the way.

Don't think an allen screw should be used, just my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
LOL lack of the correct tools for the job?
I had one, didn't work. Tightened the screw down as much as possible by hand, still no clearance from alternator.

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Isnt this the bolt where you need a ~24" ext bar to get up high in the engine compartment to clear everything

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Isnt this the bolt where you need a ~24" ext bar to get up high in the engine compartment to clear everything
No, that's the one on the front, this is the one in the rear, that you have to access it through the wheel well.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
wait...go back and reread post #1 you said front
Two different things here. He is talking about the rear bolt on the front drivers side mount. The long extension is needed for the front bolt on the front drivers side mount.

I had difficulty with the same bolt he is. I had a hex ball socket and did it from the top. It just happened that my socket when it was assembled didn't get the shaft of the hex part seated as deeply into the socket part as it could have making it a little too long so it wouldn't fit under the alternator. A few whacks with a two pound hammer shortened the hex socket enough that the going got easier.

The best idea I've seen for this is to cut off a ~1" straight section of a hex key then use a ratcheting wrench that is the right size to turn the piece of hex key.

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Two different things here. He is talking about the rear bolt on the front drivers side mount. The long extension is needed for the front bolt on the front drivers side mount.

I had difficulty with the same bolt he is. I had a hex ball socket and did it from the top. It just happened that my socket when it was assembled didn't get the shaft of the hex part seated as deeply into the socket part as it could have making it a little too long so it wouldn't fit under the alternator. A few whacks with a two pound hammer shortened the hex socket enough that the going got easier.

The best idea I've seen for this is to cut off a ~1" straight section of a hex key then use a ratcheting wrench that is the right size to turn the piece of hex key.
You're exactly correct.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
wait...go back and reread post #1 you said front
I should have clarified, front driver side bracket, the bolt you're referring to is the front bolt, the one I'm referring to, is the rear bolt on the same bracket.

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
long ext. with a swivel did the trick for me. right over the top
Had all those tools, that won't work for the rear bolt. I had clearance issues with the swivel.

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I just got the front and rear sway bars and they didnt come with bolts. Thought that was kinda weird. I'm gonna reuse the stock bolts, but I can certainly see how an allen head bolt would be a mf underneath the alternator.