Sponsored

BMR Suspension's New S550 Rear Upper SHOCK MOUNTS: SM760 - Design Finalized!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The cast nipples (stipples) are designed to crush and form against the irregular surface of the weld nut area to reduce potential noise (creaking). It's part of the NVH reduction program. Ford is not investing additional production time in assuring a perfectly flat and parallel surface on a formed and welded body mount. It's a cost effective way of taking up the slop.
Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I wonder if that plays into some of the noise related issues people have had with various aftermarket mounts?

Makes sense that it’s cast in, instead of being a separate operation, because it allows that whole disc around the boot hole to stand a little bit proud of the surface. So those two circles are your only contact area with the body. Since other mounts aren’t made that way, they might have more contact but less pressure and lower coefficient of friction. The weld nut and the back of the OE mount work to sandwich and tightly pinch the sheet metal, whereas other mounts might result in more of a pull against the weld nuts, hence the pull out problem.

If using an aftermarket mount, I wonder also if switching to studs would allow you to get higher clamping force, which might make the knurling a little less necessary.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
my guy was supposed to blue Dykem the Steeda mount when he switched my shocks out. I'm going to replace bumpers anyway so I'll supervise that and take pictures to see how bad the contact is between the sheetmetal and mount. If there is any freedom of movement it's going to be trouble sooner or later. I don't see how they could cast that kind of a feature into the mount. It's far more likely they cast the raised portion (flat) and then stamp the pattern in a second operation.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't see how they could cast that kind of a feature into the mount. It's far more likely they cast the raised portion (flat) and then stamp the pattern in a second operation.
+1, good thinking. I was wondering what they made the mold out of to get that kind of detail like damn. But that makes much more sense. It would also work harden the stippling a bit, so it'll be more bitey.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I don't see how they could cast that kind of a feature into the mount. It's far more likely they cast the raised portion (flat) and then stamp the pattern in a second operation.
EDM profile into the casting mold.

Sponsored

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
Harmonic dissipation via "chambering" is something I played around with on my 2014 GT with driveline NVH. Machined harder than stock bushings with machined holes to dissipate harmonics, worked great!!!! It is absolutely something the aftermarket suppliers need to look at and consider when making parts! Would eliminate a lot of "complaints" and make for happier DD consumers.

It would NOT help the sheet metal fatigue situation with these shock mounts.

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
Yes varying depths, and in some cases fully through. Diameters varied based on material thickness and or depth. I have no engineering/sonics training or education so I was just shooting from the hip. I got the idea after finding a set of my OLD audio Bazzooka Tubes on a shelf in the garage..LOL.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yes varying depths, and in some cases fully through. Diameters varied based on material thickness and or depth. I have no engineering/sonics training or education so I was just shooting from the hip. I got the idea after finding a set of my OLD audio Bazzooka Tubes on a shelf in the garage..LOL.
All right spill the beans. What was going on with a sub tube that led you down that path?

I like the stud idea. Still leaves the load on the plate entirely but would help clamping force yes?

If we can't get a solid plate to extend to the frame rail.. would same gauge steel bracing that essentially adds support at the bolt hole be sufficient? Picturing thick strips on each bolt down to a rivnut in the rail.

Maybe tac welds around the mount plate aren't such a bad idea to reduce movement by tieing in an area larger than the bolts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

S550Whipple15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
3k in on welded... ONLY issue now is the tie rod end is rattling.. really wish I went a different direction. I’m going to try Aleccolin derlin modification as I have some play I think. I see some minor gouging in the aluminum spacer/washers. I’ve checked torque on the bolts and still in spec with instructions. I’m not sure where the rattle is coming from on the mounts of shocks. But I believe it is the tie rod piece/mounting area.

BlueDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP Mustang GT - Ruby Red
It's been mentioned a couple time that BMR has revised the mount. Is there an easy way for me to see if I have the newer plates? I just got them last month and haven't installed them yet. Though I'm a bit nervous to install them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.