Sponsored

BMR Suspension MagneRide / GT350 Handling Springs: Pricing and Info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Also [MENTION=15675]Niz55[/MENTION] as with all of our springs, they will be available separately. The rears.

Part # is SPH766 right now. It may change, but thats what it is as I type this. That is the rear springs only.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My stock 17 gt350 rear springs feel firmer than the Ford performance progressive rate. My God I can't wait to throw away the frpp rear springs and repalace it with bmr.

Don't even think about Eibach springs. The fronts are 145-202. Joke j tell you.
You'll love how these BMRs feel. I have the same rates on my GT and it's fantastic to drive.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
The ones where the ends of the spring (the "loops") are different diameter then in the middle part (making it look like a beehive.this terminology is used in valve springs as well). Every other application I've seen, "beehive" shaped springs are progressive because the larger loops in the coil "give" at a different rate depending on the load, than the more tightly wound ends. With the "straight" springs the coils are spaced evenly and are all the same diameter from top middle to bottom, thereby ensuring a constant spring rate.

What beehive springs are you referring to?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The ones where the ends of the spring (the "loops") are different diameter then in the middle part (making it look like a beehive.this terminology is used in valve springs as well). Every other application I've seen, "beehive" shaped springs are progressive because the larger loops in the coil "give" at a different rate depending on the load, than the more tightly wound ends. With the "straight" springs the coils are spaced evenly and are all the same diameter from top middle to bottom, thereby ensuring a constant spring rate.
They're linear rate throughout. All the S550 front springs are like this to at least some degree, V6, EB, GT, GT350.The diameter is varied because of the mating geometry of the strut and top mount.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe you are correct.

[ame]

As a beehive spring is compressed, the lower rate section progressively goes solid, stacking the coils one atop the next, effectively locking out their contribution to spring rate. Thus the rate varies with the remaining number of non-locked coils (the one on the left). Compare this to the one on the right.

In racing applications you will almost always see the springs on the right being used, whereas the beehive types are used to help compromise comfort and performance. Linear springs tend to have less travel and high compression can result in coil binding (increases wear and can be noisy).

They're linear rate throughout. All the S550 front springs are like this to at least some degree, V6, EB, GT, GT350.The diameter is varied because of the mating geometry of the strut and top mount.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe you are correct.

As a beehive spring is compressed, the lower rate section progressively goes solid, stacking the coils one atop the next, effectively locking out their contribution to spring rate. Thus the rate varies with the remaining number of non-locked coils (the one on the left). Compare this to the one on the right.

In racing applications you will almost always see the springs on the right being used, whereas the beehive types are used to help compromise comfort and performance. Linear springs tend to have less travel and high compression can result in coil binding (increases wear and can be noisy).
Well I can show you spring dyno charts...

You can design the top and bottom section of the beehive to have the same rate as the mid section by playing with the pitch and spacing, along with how it transitions. Yes there's a small amount of error throughout, but 1-2% rate variation from nominal isn't much.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see what you're saying. So what would be the benefit of the beehive shape? to allow for more travel?

Well I can show you spring dyno charts...

You can design the top and bottom section of the beehive to have the same rate as the mid section by playing with the pitch and spacing, along with how it transitions. Yes there's a small amount of error throughout, but 1-2% rate variation from nominal isn't much.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
After removing initial loads for seating, every spring we offer for the S550 has a true linear curve.

Good info in here, but the posts above about anything other than linear rates do not apply to any BMR S550 offering.

Carry on. :)

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Kelly are these springs a better performer than the stock R springs? Iam assuming they are. My R may not see the track but a few times so mainly a street car. I had linear springs on my 15 GT albeit not yours and I loved the feel and tightness. Just curious if it will be a noticeable difference over the stock R springs. They look awesome by the way. Thanks for taking care of us 350 owners with aftermarket products. :thumbsup: [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Kelly are these springs a better performer than the stock R springs? Iam assuming they are. My R may not see the track but a few times so mainly a street car. I had linear springs on my 15 GT albeit not yours and I loved the feel and tightness. Just curious if it will be a noticeable difference over the stock R springs. They look awesome by the way. Thanks for taking care of us 350 owners with aftermarket products. :thumbsup: [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION]
Both the front and rear will be a small % increase in wheel rate over the stock R springs, while lowering the car a little (TBD per Kelly's post). I'd say you'd notice more from the drop than the rate (though the R rear actually uses part of it's lower initial rate in regular driving), but the overall package would be excellent.

Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
These are not beehive, nor dual, nor progressive wound.

Both the front and the rears are a true linear design.

I giggled at the V6 GT350 comment. That was pretty damn funny. Lol. What was meant by that is, the 2018+ MY Mustangs have MagneRide offerings with non V8 engines. I have to be very clear and specific or it comes back to haunt me. Haha

I am VERY aware if the drop, I was involved in designing this spring set. However, anything can happen and if the production units are 1/32" off...I will not hesitate to accept it and roll with it as long as it's within the height range we intend. But I must install and test on a few cars first, before provided factual data.

Niz55, let me see what I can do. I agree with you and I'm really happy with this design.

Some of us would like to know what the drop in height is before we purchase. It looks like a solid product!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd expect minimal drop, less than 1", similar to the SP083 rev C springs (see Suspension forum for details). Kelly has to verify that as-designed meets real world after trying on a few cars, though.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
i would have definitely gone with the complete front and rear but i already have the front FRPP 245lbs spring so i will keep it at that. Just need the rears.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
My stock 17 gt350 rear springs feel firmer than the Ford performance progressive rate
I am still puzzled by what you are feeling. I have the same setup and to me that is not how it feels. I love my FP springs setup with the R rear sway bar.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.