Sponsored

BMR Cradle Lockout CB005, BMR Vertical Links & Steeda Differential bushing installed!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

So tonight I fitted, the BMR CB005 cradle lock out kit which performs several functions as one kit such as:
- Rear cradle allignment, perfectly centre's rear cradle.
- Helps stop deflection in all directions of the IRS subframe bolting to factory locations.
- Vastly reduces / eliminates wheel hop.

So a little like the differential bushes, this kit uses solid aluminum pieces to fill the voids around the rubbers on the IRS subframe/cradle to the body and then helps prevent excess movement. It is very hard for me to explain, so let this video do the talking:

[ame]

Hope that explains it better. :)

So what are my findings:
- There is added NVH, but it is slight and not in the form of buzzing or annoying harmonics, just a little more tyre noise I'd say that shows itself generally at motorway speeds or on rougher roads, but it is slight, so if your on the motorway turn the radio up a further notch. ;)
- The driveling thud that these cars experience when taking clutch up has gone from a thud to a light clunk which I believe others found.

Those are the slight negatives, onto the positives:
- Way more feel for the car in the rear where grip levels are, communication in the butt dyno are improved for sure inspiring a lot more confidence to really push hard.
- Wheel hope is GONE!
- More traction!

So the car has more feel, more traction and the rear-end floatyness is even less so now, of course dampers should impact the this the most, but all these rear-end modifications have all helped reduce it and the rubberized feeling in the rear is now completely gone.

Car still rides really well, but response is vastly improved, when I steer the rear end is not catching up, it is now in complete sync, like I say the rubberized feeling/sensation is now completely gone in the car. So yes there is a little more NVH but it is the welcomed variety like the 911 had, feel and communication of grip. I shall report more on tyre roar at higher speeds in more normal driving when I am not driving with radio off trying to hear the slightest of noises, so yes I have to try to hear noise. ;)

So if you too feel the rear of the car is rubberized, suffers wheel hop and deflection and well feels a bit disconnected from inputs, the BMR vertical links (Delrin/Spherical), BMR cradle lockout and Steeda differential bushing inserts make a great transformation. Even better that all these parts combined cost less than £300 !! Just to note I did one at a time and performed a test drive. BMR Vertical links added zero NVH and reduced wheel hop a little and gave extra traction on corner exit. Steeda differential bushing insert system also added no NVH and took away the rubberized feeling somewhat. The CB005 added marginal NVH (tyre noise) but eliminated all the rubberized feeling in the rear and made the car more communicative and positive feeling.

Also to note the BMR CB005 cradle lockout does the job of three Steeda seperate parts that come to more than double the price and the jury is still out on those parts, yet CB005 is proven to work and for half the price! :)

Really hope to get dampers and springs on later this week and anti-roll bars following week, then that is it, POWER is next and with all this grip I now have I need more power for sure! :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks to both BMR and Steeda, great parts!

[MENTION]BMR Suspension[/MENTION]
Just a couple of questions:
1. The driveline thud these cars suffer from changing from a thud to a slight clunk, normal?
2. A little more tyre noise, again normal?

I suspect so but just want your confirmation, I did also use energy suspension grease on everything that was contacting metal. :)
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there

So tonight I fitted, the BMR CB005 cradle lock out kit which performs several functions as one kit such as:
- Rear cradle allignment, perfectly centre's rear cradle.
- Helps stop deflection in all directions of the IRS subframe bolting to factory locations.
- Vastly reduces / eliminates wheel hop.

So a little like the differential bushes, this kit uses solid aluminum pieces to fill the voids around the rubbers on the IRS subframe/cradle to the body and then helps prevent excess movement. It is very hard for me to explain, so let this video do the talking:

Hope that explains it better. :)

So what are my findings:
- There is added NVH, but it is slight and not in the form of buzzing or annoying harmonics, just a little more tyre noise I'd say that shows itself generally at motorway speeds or on rougher roads, but it is slight, so if your on the motorway turn the radio up a further notch. ;)
- The driveling thud that these cars experience when taking clutch up has gone from a thud to a light clunk which I believe others found.

Those are the slight negatives, onto the positives:
- Way more feel for the car in the rear where grip levels are, communication in the butt dyno are improved for sure inspiring a lot more confidence to really push hard.
- Wheel hope is GONE!
- More traction!

So the car has more feel, more traction and the rear-end floatyness is even less so now, of course dampers should impact the this the most, but all these rear-end modifications have all helped reduce it and the rubberized feeling in the rear is now completely gone.

Car still rides really well, but response is vastly improved, when I steer the rear end is not catching up, it is now in complete sync, like I say the rubberized feeling/sensation is now completely gone in the car. So yes there is a little more NVH but it is the welcomed variety like the 911 had, feel and communication of grip. I shall report more on tyre roar at higher speeds in more normal driving when I am not driving with radio off trying to hear the slightest of noises, so yes I have to try to hear noise. ;)

So if you too feel the rear of the car is rubberized, suffers wheel hop and deflection and well feels a bit disconnected from inputs, the BMR vertical links (Delrin/Spherical), BMR cradle lockout and Steeda differential bushing inserts make a great transformation. Even better that all these parts combined cost less than £300 !! Just to note I did one at a time and performed a test drive. BMR Vertical links added zero NVH and reduced wheel hop a little and gave extra traction on corner exit. Steeda differential bushing insert system also added no NVH and took away the rubberized feeling somewhat. The CB005 added marginal NVH (tyre noise) but eliminated all the rubberized feeling in the rear and made the car more communicative and positive feeling.

Also to note the BMR CB005 cradle lockout does the job of three Steeda seperate parts that come to more than double the price and the jury is still out on those parts, yet CB005 is proven to work and for half the price! :)

Really hope to get dampers and springs on later this week and anti-roll bars following week, then that is it, POWER is next and with all this grip I now have I need more power for sure! :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks to both BMR and Steeda, great parts!

[MENTION]BMR Suspension[/MENTION]
Just a couple of questions:
1. The driveline thud these cars suffer from changing from a thud to a slight clunk, normal?
2. A little more tyre noise, again normal?

I suspect so but just want your confirmation, I did also use energy suspension grease on everything that was contacting metal. :)
I'd suspect almost all of your NVH is coming from the differential bushings. Thanks for the review though!

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd suspect almost all of your NVH is coming from the differential bushings. Thanks for the review though!
I did all parts one at time, not all at once, differential bushings added no NVH.

I did vertical links Saturday, drove car, parked back up fitted differential bushes and drove car Sunday and to work today, no added NVH.

Tonight I fitted CB005 and discovered slight NVH but nice NVH as put in my review. ;)

P.S. Picture of them installed, a fried has a 4 poster in his unit, made this job a lot easier!

As you can see I just put the energy lube everywhere, I do have an entire tub of the stuff though! :D

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
First - thanks a ton for the great review! Nothing makes me happier than seeing our products meeting our customers wants and needs, ESPECIALLY when I am involved in the entire process of design/development and testing.

Yes - somewhat normal.

I will say this, when we test the CB005 alone by itself, the dB level increases are so minimal that the meter fluctuation covers the increase in NVH.

What I have found is that the diff mounts are the most sensitive area for NVH increase.

The NVH increase from the diff, is transferred into the cabin (noticable) from the cradle mounts. So that mean, often times you can do the diff mounts/bushings and not notice much NVH.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First - thanks a ton for the great review! Nothing makes me happier than seeing our products meeting our customers wants and needs, ESPECIALLY when I am involved in the entire process of design/development and testing.

Yes - somewhat normal.

I will say this, when we test the CB005 alone by itself, the dB level increases are so minimal that the meter fluctuation covers the increase in NVH.

What I have found is that the diff mounts are the most sensitive area for NVH increase.

The NVH increase from the diff, is transferred into the cabin (noticable) from the cradle mounts. So that mean, often times you can do the diff mounts/bushings and not notice much NVH.

I only noticed it at higher speeds to be honest, almost just as if there is a little more tyre roar.

The most noticable thing is the driveline thud that everyone complains about is now more a light clunk than a thud.

Overall I am happy and like I say I had radio off listening for any clunks or bangs but I did loctite and tighten the subframe bolts to 129lb/ft and the smaller bolts to 41lb/ft as per instructions. All I did different was to put energy lub on and over everything, HAHA!

Wheel hop is gone, rubberized mushy feeling in rear is gone, car has more traction and more feel/communication, with just a touch of NVH and the thud now a clunk, overall I am very happy. :)

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I guess that's what I meant: the diff bushings do transfer a significant amount more driveline vibration (thus noise) into the subframe, but if the subframe is not locked out, its bushings do a pretty good job of dampening all or most of it. Once you add the lockouts, they no longer damp those vibrations as well and thus transfer some to the body. This is basically just repeating what Kelly [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] said.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dblizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GTPP
Is the energy suspension needed? If so, where's the best place to get it?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess that's what I meant: the diff bushings do transfer a significant amount more driveline vibration (thus noise) into the subframe, but if the subframe is not locked out, its bushings do a pretty good job of dampening all or most of it. Once you add the lockouts, they no longer damp those vibrations as well and thus transfer some to the body. This is basically just repeating what Kelly [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] said.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Got ya could be true. :)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yes - somewhat normal.

Just an idea, but could one install CB005 not using the 4 black top mounts to help reduce NVH in such a case?

If I removed those top mounts I suspect the added NVH will be cured but what positives of CB005 would I lose?

Not saying I'm gonna do this but could be an option so curious to your thoughts on my idea. :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So an update on CB005.

I will concede that the additional NVH I am hearing is no doubt due to the steeda differential bushing inserts transmitting NVH through the CB005 mounts, so install one and not the other and you will no doubt be NVH free.

However the NVH is absolute minimal, what I have noticed is:
- Differential whine/humm when driving slowly in traffic 1000-1500rpm, once over 1500rpm you don't notice it. I need to test motorway driving though!
- More tyre noise/roar above 70mph, but again needs more testing on different road surfaces.

It is minor but noticeable but I concede if I did not have the Steeda differential bushing inserts then I would probably not have the differential whine at low rpm for sure, tyre noise who knows.

But I think maybe a solution and I hope [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] can confirm might be to simply remove the 4 upper solid mounts as circled in the below image:

Kelly/BMR if I remove those do you think that would help with the slight added NVH I am getting as then hopefully stock bushing will absorb the NVH, would you agree?

If I do remove those is CB005 still going to help reduce wheel hop and deflection or will it fail to function if I remove those four upper mounts?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there

Done more highway driving upto high speeds, I would now say there is no added tyre/road noise or if there is it is absolute minimal.

Diff whine is only audible in traffic when gently acceleration between 1000-1200rpm which is no doubt transmitted via the steeda diff bushes to CB005, but again it is a humm at just that rpm.

The thud we all have is gone and is now a gentle clunk which I would say is less noticeable than the thud, so those who hate the thud might want to try CB005. :)

Again the handling and traction benefits are there for sure, accelerating through a turn with a dip full throttle in 2nd would before generate a lot of wheelspin and hop, now there is a minor bit of spin but not enough to over power the differential which is able to now do its thing and more power to the wheel with more grip.

Great product and when combined with vertical links and differential bushing inserts the sloppyness and rubberized feeling is gone, car is way more direct and communicating in a great way! :)

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Awesome!

As for the thought to remove the upper rings/lockouts - No No No.

Those are the primary pieces of the kit, and without those - the kit is useless.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
got links to buy these items? I have some big time traction issues, looking to improve...

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Purchased off the bmr suspension website ... not bad. $300 for vertical links and lockout kit
Sponsored