Sponsored

BMR 4-Point Chassis Brace Analysis & Review (CB006)

roadracergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello My Mustang 6G Friends:

I finally had a chance to do my technical review of the BMR chassis brace (CB006). This is my own analysis & I welcome other suspension/chassis engineers to offer their feedback and/or analysis as a point of comparison. I ask that you read the full analysis & understand the level of testing I have performed & offered up as an explanation to help you with your future upgrades.

A torsional load (T1) is exerted on the chassis by a roll moment during cornering, which causes the chassis to flex. This load is transmitted to the mounting locations of the chassis brace (intended to reduce the chassis flex) and can be evaluated as forces at each mounting point. The force (F1) applied to point A causes unnecessary shear and bending stresses at the weld between the bracket and the tubing because the point does not lay in-line with the horizontal axis (x-axis) of the brace.

These stresses could lead to the bracket permanently deforming, or worse, causing a fracture in the weld, ultimately leading to the two pieces breaking apart. The secondary mounting point B is improperly located due to the added force (F2) that is being applied to the factory lower control arm bolt utilized in this kit. The force induces a shear stress on the factory control arm bolt, which is compounded by the oversized hole (shown in Figures 2 and 3) that reduces structural integrity by not leaving enough contact surface area for the flange of the bolt to adequately seat against and does not locate the brace properly.

2wqqr5u.png

1qmu6w.png

This in turn, leads to another problem: the brace not adequately mounting at point B. By not locating and securing the brace, this gives it the ability to shift, negating its intended purpose of reducing chassis flex. The evidence of this movement can be seen below (Figures 4 and 5).

30a5i7d.png

To summarize my findings & research, this chassis brace was designed without considering some key design and structural elements.

Why would you add additional stresses (e.g., the forces being applied by the flexing of the chassis) to such a critical suspension component on the vehicle like the lower control arm bolt?

That fact, along with other issues brought up previously, show that this chassis brace does not meet its intended purpose of reducing chassis flex as much as you would think.

In closing, the most effective product for your money would be the 2-point chassis brace that has the mounting locations in-line with the horizontal axis of the brace.

Time to enjoy the weekend!
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Great review! You should have done a side-by-side comparison to the other offerings, would have made it more interesting.

You could have even purchased this one, that bends just from daily use.

But in all seriousness, we are happy to see so many glowing reviews with this piece recently. We apologize that we could not make it to your liking.

PS: We have a road racer in Stuart FL by the name of Barry Rufo, who absolutely LOVES this CB006 and CB005 from BMR. Maybe he can chime in!

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Over-analytical Engineers, ruining everyone's fun since time immemorial.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot the fact that when the control arms are loaded, they will create a bending moment on the bolt and the bushing will be loaded very non-uniformly. The way to this brace ties into the control arm bushing prevents almost all the off-axis deflection (what normally occurs). The holes are this big because each car is a little different and tolerance stack-up is a thing. The only movement/flex the bushings can now make is perpendicular to their axis, which is quite stiff.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I'm an engineer and I don't understand what's going on exactly...:crazy:

Maybe I'm biased because I like BMR parts and I find that they make sense, but if nobody that does crazy tracking for god-know-how-many-hours has broken one of these...that's enough evidence for me that the brace is durable and harmless.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
I'm an engineer and I don't understand what's going on exactly...:crazy:

Maybe I'm biased because I like BMR parts and I find that they make sense, but if nobody that does crazy tracking for god-know-how-many-hours has broken one of these...that's enough evidence for me that the brace is durable and harmless.
We have not seen a failure with these.

If we ever do, guess what we will do? Address the issue immediately.

Of course, some companies are sneaky. I would not be surprised to see one randomly show up broken.....that seems to be how competition works these days. :eyebulge:

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
We have not seen a failure with these.

If we ever do, guess what we will do? Address the issue immediately.

Of course, some companies are sneaky. I would not be surprised to see one randomly show up broken.....that seems to be how competition works these days. :eyebulge:
I doubt you'll ever see a failure, either. There's nothing different about your design than companies like Cusco have been doing on imports for decades now with no issues. I'm just glad there's an option like yours because Steeda's design seems spindly and weak, discounting the whole ground clearance issue, and yours seems much more like something Cusco or Beatrush would design that I've run on my imports for years now.

I'm sure Steeda's part works, it's just yours seems to make more sense since you're bracing the frame straight on instead of at an angle.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
I doubt you'll ever see a failure, either. There's nothing different about your design than companies like Cusco have been doing on imports for decades now with no issues. I'm just glad there's an option like yours because Steeda's design seems spindly and weak, discounting the whole ground clearance issue, and yours seems much more like something Cusco or Beatrush would design that I've run on my imports for years now.

I'm sure Steeda's part works, it's just yours seems to make more sense since you're bracing the frame straight on instead of at an angle.
Thank you! We put a lot of effort into our products, that is for sure!

No company is perfect. We feel we have hit homeruns with this new chassis, and our support from the market has been overwhelming.

As I was telling a customer on the phone earlier, who, ironically, is the owner of the hammertone brace above in the OP's post - we cannot please 100% of people. But we will do our best to try!

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Proper welds don't break, the CB006 is welded to very high standards.

The holes where the bolt goes through for lower control arms needs to be larger to ensure fitment on all cars. Those bolts are tightened upto 184lb/ft as such there should be zero movement.

I went from Steeda G-Trac brace which had clearance issues, poor fitment and was bending. I consider the BMR unit an upgrade and I drive very hard on street and race circuit, so after a few months I shall check the unit to see how things are. But I am not worried, infact I now have peace of mind as my car now has more ground clearance.

If people are really worried then do not buy either BMR CB006 or Steeda G-Trac as both have flaws, instead buy CB007 as that product is perfection. :)

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Proper welds don't break, the CB006 is welded to very high standards.

The holes where the bolt goes through for lower control arms needs to be larger to ensure fitment on all cars. Those bolts are tightened upto 184lb/ft as such there should be zero movement.

I went from Steeda G-Trac brace which had clearance issues, poor fitment and was bending. I consider the BMR unit an upgrade and I drive very hard on street and race circuit, so after a few months I shall check the unit to see how things are. But I am not worried, infact I now have peace of mind as my car now has more ground clearance.

If people are really worried then do not buy either BMR CB006 or Steeda G-Trac as both have flaws, instead buy CB007 as that product is perfection. :)
Wow! Another one!

Thanks sir, you have been a great pleasure to deal with and we at BMR truly appreciate your support! I will be sure to return the back-scratch on your next part that you choose to have shipped over to the UK! :cheers::ford:

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The biggest issue with the steeda brace is that it doesn't fit. At all. Not even close. WAY off.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
The biggest issue with the steeda brace is that it doesn't fit. At all. Not even close. WAY off.
Would you like to try out our CB007 Brace?

If so, I will gladly give you a great deal.

If you do not like it, I will pay for the return shipping and refund you 100%

:thumbsup:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3

Yeah when I fitted the G-trac it took us like nearly two hours because the fitment was so poor and fiddly, infact I was very disappointed with the quality but at the time that is all that was available.

Today in less than one hour I had removed the Steeda G-Trac brace and fitted BMR's CB006 as the BMR unit was a joy to fit, everything lined up like it was an OE piece. :)
Sponsored