Sponsored

BMC GT350 Track Pack spoiler FOR CONVERTIBLES!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I used exterior grade sign vinyl to close the rest of the holes, and speaking with BMC during install you really have to tighten the heck out of it. Mine sits perfectly.
Sponsored

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
I used exterior grade sign vinyl to close the rest of the holes, and speaking with BMC during install you really have to tighten the heck out of it. Mine sits perfectly.
Great idea about sign vinyl, I’m kicking my self in the butt now.....I should have gone with the BMC.

RubyRedFlame

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Added the Carbon Fiber version to my flame...

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Geez....that is an awesome spoiler! Makes mine look like a rowboat compared to a battleship!

This will have to be considered for the spring...after another 2 projects I am working on.

CVCashmere

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Added the Carbon Fiber version to my flame...
Nice. I seriously considered the CF version, but then I knew I'd want to do all sorts of other CF parts, so I opted for just gloss black (which looks great too).

The GT350 style really looks great on convertibles, super happy with mine (it's from BMC).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Nice car!

Vert29687

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Convertible
Question for the folks with the BMC GT350 Track Pack Spoiler. I ordered this spoiler for my 2020 GT Convertible which had the factory blade spoiler on it. After reading all the threads, I thought it would use two of the existing factory holes and you would only have drill the other two, if you want to use them. I can only get one of the factory holes to align with the spoiler pre-drilled holes. Also, it only came with four - 1/2"Long screws (see pic), no washers or any other mounting hardware. I don't see how secure a 1/2" long screw into ABS plastic is going hold this spoiler down.
Is this what you all used to mount your spoilers or did you have buy extra bolts and screws?

I know the coupe and convertible have different size trunks, but do the factory holes match up?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BMCscrews.jpg

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
@Vert29687

I can't help with the holes (though when you say one, do mean one set, i.e., two?), since I have a Perf Pack car so no factory holes, I drilled all four myself (there's a good technique posted earlier in this thread for determining the location).

For the fasteners, I used what was supplied, which as I recall, look exactly like your photo. The holes in the wing seemed to be pretty reinforced, they may have even been a different material, you know, like a metal insert.

What I did was to put a pretty ample amount of this on the screw threads:

1612629306586.png

Not only did it really lock them down, but it kind of spread out and completely sealed up around the hole, so almost zero chance of any leaks (going on two years, I've had none, and that includes driving through Florida typhoons ...)

Also, the sheet metal is super thin where the holes align, so you get a pretty good number of turns on the fasteners. I didn't do anything else (like 3M), since the wing has a nice rubber gasket around the perimeter, it sits really nice.

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I used exterior grade vinyl. Cleaned the surface and applied the vinyl. Will never see the light of day again. I used Orcal 651.

Sponsored

Vert29687

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Vert29687

I can't help with the holes (though when you say one, do mean one set, i.e., two?), since I have a Perf Pack car so no factory holes, I drilled all four myself (there's a good technique posted earlier in this thread for determining the location).

For the fasteners, I used what was supplied, which as I recall, look exactly like your photo. The holes in the wing seemed to be pretty reinforced, they may have even been a different material, you know, like a metal insert.

What I did was to put a pretty ample amount of this on the screw threads:

1612629306586.png

Not only did it really lock them down, but it kind of spread out and completely sealed up around the hole, so almost zero chance of any leaks (going on two years, I've had none, and that includes driving through Florida typhoons ...)

Also, the sheet metal is super thin where the holes align, so you get a pretty good number of turns on the fasteners. I didn't do anything else (like 3M), since the wing has a nice rubber gasket around the perimeter, it sits really nice.

Vert29687

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Masked X-
Thanks for the reply. So, out of the four pre-drilled holes on the spoiler, only one hole will line up with the factory trunk holes. The other three are not even close. I was hoping to use the outer two pre-drilled holes along with some 3M double sided tape, and maybe avoid having to drill any more holes into my trunk. Obviously, that's not going to work, time to break out the power tools and start drilling. I will pick up a tube of that auto goop as well, thanks again for your assistance.

Mhanna5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue, with the holes not lining up. I drilled new holes in the spoiler. Worked great.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Masked X-
Thanks for the reply. So, out of the four pre-drilled holes on the spoiler, only one hole will line up with the factory trunk holes. The other three are not even close. I was hoping to use the outer two pre-drilled holes along with some 3M double sided tape, and maybe avoid having to drill any more holes into my trunk. Obviously, that's not going to work, time to break out the power tools and start drilling. I will pick up a tube of that auto goop as well, thanks again for your assistance.
Ahh, OK, gotcha on the single hole lining up, assuming the wing must be offset left or right for that to work too.

I'd do what someone said above: get some thick, high quality vinyl and cover the OEM holes, then just drill new ones (assuming there's plenty of space). The locations for the BMC wing are pretty good, two on to the middle, so with the trunk lid liner removed, easily accessed, and the two outer can be reached via those two rubber grommets (obviously you want to be careful not to drop a screw into the trunk lid, it's a PITA to fish out ...)

What you want to do is stick some long, strips of paper with holes (something durable), onto the wing (very lightly so they're easy to remove), where the holes lineup, then position the wing and tape the strips down to the car, where they sit is the hole location. Then I used a Dremel with a small bit to drill a pilot hole, since it was easier to control, then just a regular drill, with a larger bit - cleaned up the holes with a round file, and used a little touchup paint around the edges to seal up the exposed metal (I just used some black I had leftover from the previous Mustang). Used a shop-vac to clean up the metal shavings (vs. brushing them off).

Here's the positioning strips after they've been secured to the car:

IMG_6006_1200.jpeg

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Looks right, I used to have these plastic strips with a small shaft in the middle, place the shaft into the screw holes on the spoiler, get the spoiler set, tape down the plastic strips and pull the spoiler off. Then just drill right through the hollow center of the plastic shaft. Easy Peasy!
Sponsored