Blue smoke when starting the car / oil consumption

313_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yousef
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT
I have a 2020 GT Premium 10r80 with 41k miles. I occasionally notice a blue smoke when starting the car and sometimes after the car just sits for less than an hour I'd see a puff of smoke when starting it. I'm burning roughly 1qt per thousand miles however the dealer decided that's normal consumption and I should top it off and not worry. I haven't noticed any strange noises other than the DI pump tick and occasionally smell burnt oil when I drive the car hard. I'm running 5w20 and do visit redline often. I'm planning on running 5w30 and hoping for the best but my main concern is worn piston rings and the dealer neglect isn't helping my case.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Curious...are you the original owner? If so, what type of break-in did you perform? If not the original purchaser, how many miles when you bought?

Thank You.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
you need thicker oil. 5w50 european blend in the summer. 5w50 or 0w40 european blend in winter

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
Does the car have an oil catch can? Also look into the PCV valve. Might be a simple fix. Not telling you to throw money at stuff. But look into it, might be the issue.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Probably a few different causes here. But I'd start with a fresh PCV valve, some of them on this MY were defective.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you replace the PCV and it still persists, bring it back in for warranty and request the dealer to do a compression and leakdown test. Or find a different dealer that may take your concerns more serious. If none do, call Ford customer service and open a case.

It’s not normal for these engines to visibly smoke. 1 quart per thousand is excessive. That’s 5 additional quarts per oil change interval if you go 5k mi.
Sponsored