Sponsored

Blue smoke on occasional startup

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
I have only 2300 km’s on my 2016 GT with a Roush Supercharger. About a month ago I thought I may have seen smoke out my mirrors after starting it up. I started paying attention to be sure but nothing. Then noticed it again after another week but couldn’t really tell what color it was. Another week goes by and nothing. Then just this past weekend there was definitely a huge puff of blue smoke on two consecutive start ups.
This is not happening at all while driving just on start ups. I don’t drive it often obviously and when I do it’s not for more than an hour at a time. I have a catch can so I don’t think it’s a bad pcv valve. I don’t believe this is normal so I think I may be looking at a leaky valve seal. I’m dropping it off tonight for an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at but I have a feeling the car isn’t going to smoke for them. Opinions ?
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Is the oil level going down noticeably? I'd check the catch-can to be sure it's not too full.

OP
OP
BMAGOO

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, should’ve mentioned that the oil level and catch can were the first things I checked. Level was fine on dipstick and catch can had not even a teaspoon worth.

Deleted member 35786

Well blue smoke could be a many possible things. Being that you installed a supercharger on you engine some symptoms could have been exasperated/caused by it.
Did it smoke before supercharger install?

Keep in mind.
The most common cause of blue exhaust smoke is oil leaking past engine seals and into the cylinders where it then mixes and burns with the fuel. ... Blue exhaust smoke only at start-up can indicate worn piston seals or damaged or worn valve guides which may also cause a rattling noise.

Other causes:

Engine too full of oil
Engine low on oil
Cylinder head drain back holes are clogged
Valve stem seals are worn out
Broken piston oil control ring
Plugged crankcase ventilation
Overheating engine oil
Intake gasket leak (V8 and V6 only)
Excessive block to piston clearances

Good luck in your diagnosis.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Well blue smoke could be a many possible things. Being that you installed a supercharger on you engine some symptoms could have been exasperated/caused by it.
Did it smoke before supercharger install?

Keep in mind.
The most common cause of blue exhaust smoke is oil leaking past engine seals and into the cylinders where it then mixes and burns with the fuel. ... Blue exhaust smoke only at start-up can indicate worn piston seals or damaged or worn valve guides which may also cause a rattling noise.

Other causes:

Engine too full of oil
Engine low on oil
Cylinder head drain back holes are clogged
Valve stem seals are worn out
Broken piston oil control ring
Plugged crankcase ventilation
Overheating engine oil
Intake gasket leak (V8 and V6 only)
Excessive block to piston clearances

Good luck in your diagnosis.
well got oil changd today at dealer.it sat over night and no blue smoke whn i started it at dealer.I reread your repsonse and noice3d one cause was low oil.I was down a quart,so maybe thats why it was blue.Its a long story on low oil but i was caused Im sure when i had first oil change at Jiffy Lube and oil wnet everywhere>I brought it to ford to clean up and im betting the oil was low and ford didnt top it off/Ill watch oild level closely and drive it more often.thanks again
Sponsored