Blu-ray onto Disc

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Need a bit of advice, not Mustang, but there are a lot of clever people on here :-), have a lot of Blu-ray video want to put on disc, have the discs, but not enough power in the Desktop to convert it, have a I7 Laptop, can I buy a external bluray burner for it, or does anyone on here burn blu-ray video onto discs? thanks, please PM me if you can help
Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Blu ray is a type of disk not a video format. You should be able to just burn the video to disk unless you're processing the audio and/or video first, which is what will hammer your laptop.

OP
OP
goldengooner

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Blu ray is a type of disk not a video format. You should be able to just burn the video to disk unless you're processing the audio and/or video first, which is what will hammer your laptop.
It the moment its saved in MTS format from the 3D HD Video Camera on a external h/d, I want to convert the files into video files and put onto Blu-ray HD.
Now my PC has a blu-ray burner, but to convert over even a 20min video can take 24 hours than decide to crash
I have a I7 Laptop but not a external burner
So do I buy a external burner for the laptop
or
Can anyone who does HD onto Blu-ray disc help me out

hope that makes more sense
thanks

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The blu ray burner internal and external will be the same, there's no point buying another one.

What are you currently using to convert the mts file ?

Sponsored

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
The 24 hour burn is re-rendering the video file from one format to another so it is not a digital copy and there will be a loss in quality and besides it doesn't have to take 24 hours to copy.

If your file has a .m2ts extension then it is already in Blu-ray format. This format is a Matroska multimedia container and readily playable by renaming the file to .mkv or even just .mp4 (just as if you had ripped it cough). You can now play the file in Media Player or if you have difficulty try VLC Player.

To make the video file "play" in a Blu-ray disk you need some Blu-ray authoring software to create the menus etc and this is needed so that when you insert the Blu-ray into the player it can run some java script to know how to play the video.

You can also use a recordable Blu-ray disk as a recordable data disk where you can just copy or burn the digital file. Now it won't be an actual authored Blu-ray but if you put on most computers and Blu-ray players then it will recognise the format and just play the file just like you can play ripped .mp3 music from a USB stick.

OP
OP
goldengooner

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
The 24 hour burn is re-rendering the video file from one format to another so it is not a digital copy and there will be a loss in quality and besides it doesn't have to take 24 hours to copy.

If your file has a .m2ts extension then it is already in Blu-ray format. This format is a Matroska multimedia container and readily playable by renaming the file to .mkv or even just .mp4 (just as if you had ripped it cough). You can now play the file in Media Player or if you have difficulty try VLC Player.

To make the video file "play" in a Blu-ray disk you need some Blu-ray authoring software to create the menus etc and this is needed so that when you insert the Blu-ray into the player it can run some java script to know how to play the video.

You can also use a recordable Blu-ray disk as a recordable data disk where you can just copy or burn the digital file. Now it won't be an actual authored Blu-ray but if you put on most computers and Blu-ray players then it will recognise the format and just play the file just like you can play ripped .mp3 music from a USB stick.
thanks for that Mark, if i just change the file name, will i lose the 3D in the file? when I play the Blu-ray on a 3D tv?
thanks
the authoring software like Vegas or the Sony stuff that comes with the camera, takes forever to re-rendering, how can i get away from doing that?
At the moment having fun getting the files off the hd on the camera, as its 7 years old now, and the software has been updated and can't find the hd. Maybe its because am running windows 10 will try it on a Windows 7 PC

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Depending on whether you want to spend money or not, tools such as Handbrake and IMGBurn can do what you ask for nought. Using Google, type "MTS to Bluray". The first page has links for both and instructions... some from dedicated forums asking exactly what you are.

If you have £30/£40 you'd be better off with a commercial tools such as Nero or PowerDVD (its tool suite). It all depends on how savvy you are I guess with this stuff. :)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
re-rendering will be required to make a proper "bluray" with menu's and properly encoded format and will take ages especially if preserving the 3d part.

now you can just use a writable bluray disk as a normal nonmastered data disk and just stick your mkv/mts/mp4 file whatever on there and most modern bluray players + pc's will be able to play it as a data file just as if you'd copied it to a usb stick instead.

it entirely depends what you want to do. To give you an idea i recorded 30 mins of 1080p60 with action cam and it took 5 hours to convert it to a format youtube would accept and resulted in a 25gb file :)

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
thanks for that Mark, if i just change the file name, will i lose the 3D in the file? when I play the Blu-ray on a 3D tv?
thanks
the authoring software like Vegas or the Sony stuff that comes with the camera, takes forever to re-rendering, how can i get away from doing that?
At the moment having fun getting the files off the hd on the camera, as its 7 years old now, and the software has been updated and can't find the hd. Maybe its because am running windows 10 will try it on a Windows 7 PC
I suggest give it a go yourself. It won't take long to rename to change the file extension and copy the file over as a straight digital copy to a recordable Blu-ray disk to see if it works. The worst that can happen is that you trash a few blank disks.

When choosing recordable Blu-ray media be aware of what your hardware is capable of writing in terms of layers etc.

Also beware that what works for you on playback in your hardware may not work when tried by someone else with their hardware.
Sponsored