Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I had posted this a while back. This happened at the track at around 2,600 miles. My R is only tracked - not a DD. I redid the break in and have been back to the track once so far. Hoping to get out again this week. What I am more curious about is the failure rate on engine #2. I am hoping (maybe I am too optimistic) the second engine had the fix. We will never know. I will keep you guys informed on my longevity on the car. I think a very important part of all this is to build a very strong relationship with your dealer. The service manager always wants me to text him, etc when coming in. I have a roll bar and harnesses in the car. He is very well aware of the tracking that I do. We were joking in the car when I said "I dont race - just drive for fun" He said don't worry - That is not a factor and he would take care of me. They get $$$$'s for warranty work and they want those dollars. I also had him look at my AutoBlip - he said, that will not void your warranty either. Point is - drop off gift certificates and don't do any engine mods - Tunes, etc will hose you. He did say that was the one thing not to do. I know everyone says - they have prove that it caused the failure Why mess with it and potentially get into a lawsuit which will just side line your car for months? This car rocks as is on the track with Camber Plates and the right tires. BTW - dealer had a new engine in and ready to go in 7 days.
engine.jpg
Now that’s an engine failure! It happens. Glad to hear you’re back at it.

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Looks like I got a new valve cover gasket. Mine was blasting through oil recently, and 400 miles after my last oil change I was already 1/4' below the lower hole on the dipstick. Ill see if this is a solution or a bandaid. What im more worried about is that cats - I never had any oil drops on the floor anywhere, even after long periods of standing. So im thinking the only place it could of gone was through and out back.. so after 16500 mile my cats are probably soaked...

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Looks like I got a new valve cover gasket. Mine was blasting through oil recently, and 400 miles after my last oil change I was already 1/4' below the lower hole on the dipstick. Ill see if this is a solution or a bandaid. What im more worried about is that cats - I never had any oil drops on the floor anywhere, even after long periods of standing. So im thinking the only place it could of gone was through and out back.. so after 16500 mile my cats are probably soaked...
The dealer did this in response to excessive oil consumption? This is the first I've heard of this, to date it has been total motor replacement.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That makes no sense at all. If you were leaking a quart+ in 400 miles via any gasket, you'd have a flipping mess all over the place. It would not be subtle. Even if they found a gasket leaking slightly enough to warrant a change under warranty, there's no way those idiots assumed that was the culprit for a quart+ 400 mile consumption rate.

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Mine is at the shop now. Just heard back from the Dealership.

The A/C motor fell off and was laying in the frame. From what they could tell the bolts weren't torqued right and they sheared off, causing it to eat the belts and leading to the engine to shut down. I should have her back in a week.

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
The dealer did this in response to excessive oil consumption? This is the first I've heard of this, to date it has been total motor replacement.
I know....I havent picked up the car yet, and cant for another 3 weeks.

That makes no sense at all. If you were leaking a quart+ in 400 miles via any gasket, you'd have a flipping mess all over the place. It would not be subtle. Even if they found a gasket leaking slightly enough to warrant a change under warranty, there's no way those idiots assumed that was the culprit for a quart+ 400 mile consumption rate.
Before last oil change I did get a check engine light. Checked oil, dipstick was dry, added 2 qts, light went out after a bit. When I went in fot the oil change the day after, they noticed a lot of oil residue around the plastic, around the oil filller cap. Sure, I may of spillt a drop or two, but I didnt spill the tablespoons worth or so to make that mess...I dunno, ill see when I get back.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
How many miles in did u notice the oil level dropping? After 16k or was it doing it all along?

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
How many miles in did u notice the oil level dropping? After 16k or was it doing it all along?
Cant pin it exactly, but id say since around 10k -at least. The previous oil change at 11500 I went n and wanted them to look at a motor "whining" issue I had at idle and low rpm. They couldnt pinpoint it, but after the oil change completely gone. After the next 1800 miles I was down 5.5 qts... with a whining sound again... gone after it was topped up.

Reactions: TDC

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Cant pin it exactly, but id say since around 10k -at least. The previous oil change at 11500 I went n and wanted them to look at a motor "whining" issue I had at idle and low rpm. They couldnt pinpoint it, but after the oil change completely gone. After the next 1800 miles I was down 5.5 qts... with a whining sound again... gone after it was topped up.
You let it get 5.5 quarts down or you added 5.5 over 1800 miles???

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Wanted to report another successful track weekend, especially for my birthday, with no engine issues whatsoever. Ambient temps in 90's, engine temps in 250+, advanced group. Car now has 11k miles. Ran against a 718 GTS, Alfa 4C and a variety of boosted GT's. It is a short track, 1.4 miles. Hard on brakes and tires. The R did very well and was faster than the boosted GT variants and the GTS. What a car! What an engine! Hope everyone has better luck with theirs.
DSC00644.JPG
DSC_3724.JPG

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Great pics!. I would imagine a boosted GT would take A LOT of money in extra parts (i.e. coolers, coolers, and more coolers) to run on a road course all day without overheating or other problems.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Great pics!. I would imagine a boosted GT would take A LOT of money in extra parts (i.e. coolers, coolers, and more coolers) to run on a road course all day without overheating or other problems.
These where all S550 boosted GT's. Every single one had cooling issues that weekend. in particular engine oil temps. Even more so on this particular track which is really short and not long enough straights. They where all very fast and I pointed them by often. But always caught up hitting apex's. Speaking about blown engines, there where two 3 valve GT's that went home on a trailer and they were built motors. Valve train exploded : (
received_1815700718546618.jpeg
received_384364308765827.jpeg

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Wanted to report another successful track weekend, especially for my birthday, with no engine issues whatsoever. Ambient temps in 90's, engine temps in 250+, advanced group. Car now has 11k miles. Ran against a 718 GTS, Alfa 4C and a variety of boosted GT's. It is a short track, 1.4 miles. Hard on brakes and tires. The R did very well and was faster than the boosted GT variants and the GTS. What a car! What an engine! Hope everyone has better luck with theirs.
DSC00644.JPG
DSC_3724.JPG
Yes those are the areas that make this a superior road car. HP in certain scenarios is debilitating. This car lives true to the GT350 name. You would have been faster than a GT500 as well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
These where all S550 boosted GT's. Every single one had cooling issues that weekend. in particular engine oil temps. Even more so on this particular track which is really short and not long enough straights. They where all very fast and I pointed them by often. But always caught up hitting apex's. Speaking about blown engines, there where two 3 valve GT's that went home on a trailer and they were built motors. Valve train exploded : (
Are the 3 valve motors you are talking about 4.6 liter Ford engines?