Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Yes, unnecessary. As mentioned earlier, if the cause of the oil usage was known, be it a valve seal for example, the engine is not blown, nor needing to be replaced... a part within the engine has to be replaced yes.

Blown = unrepairable/catastrophic/major internal damage. At least 90% of the cases here are instances where parts could have been replaced instead of the entire engine, if Ford were only to let the dealer examine the actual cause.
90%......how could you possibly know this when the motors cannot be opened up and are sent back to ford?

I completely agree with you, and it is a shame it is being handled the way it is. That being said, from a technical perspective, the "Blown engine disaster" that so many have become enamored and paranoid with, is... BLOWN... way out of proportion and does not reflect the actual number of engines that experienced catastrophic failure.
Who gives a damn what word is used? Blown engine, oil consumption, insert anything else you want. Engines using oil to the point that ford replaces them are clearly no good. For the poor bastard that is without a car while it’s at the dealer getting a replacement, it might as well have sent a rod through the block. The outcome is the same.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
90%......how could you possibly know this when the motors cannot be opened up and are sent back to ford?

Who gives a damn what word is used? Blown engine, oil consumption, insert anything else you want. Engines using oil to the point that ford replaces them are clearly no good. For the poor bastard that is without a car while it’s at the dealer getting a replacement, it might as well have sent a rod through the block. The outcome is the same.
How could we know? Because how many of them experienced a failure such that the car was towed and undrivable? Yeah, not hard to look at the table and quickly ascertain that the majority could have had parts replaced, and realistically should have rather than an entire engine swap if Ford was more forthcoming with information.

Umm, the words matter. Maybe not to you, but to those who actually care about facts, not fiction, and real statistics, it is important. It is highly likely the majority didn't NEED an engine swap. Whether the outcome is the same or not, trying to say that every one of those engines were "blown" is moronic at best.

Case in point, I believe it was you who stated they were failing "at an alarming rate" was it not? Care to define what that rate is? What numbers you used to come to your scientific and accurate conclusion? How many people search out a car forum when everything is hunky dory and running tip top? You expect those people to come online, make a forum account, just to make a thread to say "oh hey, everything's good over here!".... Hell no. But what happens when something goes wrong? First thing people do today is do a search online, guess what pops up... this thread. Enter the new accounts, low post count, engine replacements. It's natural for people to search out and post about things when they have an issue, what you aren't seeing are the thousands and thousands and thousands of others that aren't having any issues at all.

Apparently that fact continues to escape the paranoid driven masses.

Joecool1965

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford GT350
Count me as H0601 2017 GT350 Oil Consumption Issue/Failure at 11k.

I've found that most engines use oil to some extent.

I think that Excel spreadsheet should be named as Replaced Engines, regardless of reason because we still don't know the cause of engine problems or the cause of oil consumption. So if the motor was replaced, it's going on the spreadsheet.

If I had you assume the cause of oil consumption, I would have to say the revolutionary Plasma Transfer Wire Arc that is so durable that the rings are wearing out, but this is only speculation.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I don't really care what word people use, but as someone who will probably own a GT350 beyond warranty it is reassuring to know that actual engine failures are exceedingly rare.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
How could we know? Because how many of them experienced a failure such that the car was towed and undrivable? Yeah, not hard to look at the table and quickly ascertain that the majority could have had parts replaced, and realistically should have rather than an entire engine swap if Ford was more forthcoming with information.

Umm, the words matter. Maybe not to you, but to those who actually care about facts, not fiction, and real statistics, it is important. It is highly likely the majority didn't NEED an engine swap. Whether the outcome is the same or not, trying to say that every one of those engines were "blown" is moronic at best.

Case in point, I believe it was you who stated they were failing "at an alarming rate" was it not? Care to define what that rate is? What numbers you used to come to your scientific and accurate conclusion? How many people search out a car forum when everything is hunky dory and running tip top? You expect those people to come online, make a forum account, just to make a thread to say "oh hey, everything's good over here!".... Hell no. But what happens when something goes wrong? First thing people do today is do a search online, guess what pops up... this thread. Enter the new accounts, low post count, engine replacements. It's natural for people to search out and post about things when they have an issue, what you aren't seeing are the thousands and thousands and thousands of others that aren't having any issues at all.

Justin, if you read my post #893 whereby I asked much the same questions as you and with no response.

Like yourself I would like his definition of what he claims about an alarming engine failure rate for these FPC engines and how he substantiates his claim?

What we do know is that Ford has produced ~19,000 to ~20,000 GT350/R's over the last 3MY's and obviously Ford is confident enough to continue to launch production of these same FPC engines for the 2019MY GT350/R's next Spring.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Unnecessary? A quart every 300 miles or worse................
Correct. Totally unnecessary. I obviously do not know the situation but I'm just guessing that aside from the "oil consumption" it ran and performed great. Prob a valve seal or the like which would be a minor repair, not a "blown engine" as the title of this thread misleads everyone to believe.

Yes, unnecessary. As mentioned earlier, if the cause of the oil usage was known, be it a valve seal for example, the engine is not blown, nor needing to be replaced... a part within the engine has to be replaced yes.

Blown = unrepairable/catastrophic/major internal damage. At least 90% of the cases here are instances where parts could have been replaced instead of the entire engine, if Ford were only to let the dealer examine the actual cause.
This. 100%

Then it is on Ford as they are the ones making bad decisions all over the place. They don’t let the dealer dig into it in most cases (mine). They say they are going to send a a rep to check it out, they don’t and then (in my case again) after a couple of months of dicking around they say replace it out of the blue without doing anything. Except for frustrating good dealer service departments and most importantly the customer.

So to the customer necessary or unnecessary doesn’t mean shit when they go about their business like this. Trust me, I would’ve preferred a repair to a replacement for many reasons.
I agree the dealer and/or Ford is contributing to the misnomers.

Words matter; descriptive and definitive words exist for a reason. Without them, people would confuse "oil consumption" with a "blown engine" lol

So TRUE.

I don't really care what word people use, but as someone who will probably own a GT350 beyond warranty it is reassuring to know that actual engine failures are exceedingly rare.
YES.

Justin, if you read my post #893 whereby I asked much the same questions as you and with no response.

Like yourself I would like his definition of what he claims about an alarming engine failure rate for these FPC engines and how he substantiates his claim?

What we do know is that Ford has produced ~19,000 to ~20,000 GT350/R's over the last 3MY's and obviously Ford is confident enough to continue to launch production of these same FPC engines for the 2019MY GT350/R's next Spring.
YES.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I have worked for a BMW dealership for over 35 years and we swap out motors several times a week for various issues some catastrophic some just need a little TLC but BMW like Ford in the customers best interest replaces the complete engine. We never here what was wrong with the engine as a matter of Fact they are pretty tight lipped about it as to what caused the failure. But you do not see people saying don't buy a BMW because they have weak engines, there is no paranoia surrounding our cars. In fact most customers are greatly appreciative of the fact they received a new engine rather than have the tech of the day rebuild there engine.

As someone else pointed out there is a huge difference between BLOWN and using excessive oil. If there really was a design flaw Ford would not be continuing to produce vehicles they know have a issue the bean counters would simply not allow this happen.

For those that have had there engines replaced I feel for you and understand your frustration but this thread is really being BLOWN way out of proportion!

There are way to many variables as to why some have had engine failures, but when I read so many posts on here about how some have checked there oil after x amount of miles and found no oil on the dipstick and added 3 or 4 quarts then after adding oil only to find out weeks later a rod went through the block is not Ford's fault its from the owner being to lazy to follow the owners manual on a high performance vehicle. How many people are hiding the fact they never checked there oil frequently and when they did they were 3 or more quarts low and there engine blew up a short time later. I see this stuff all the time were people just drive a car between routine services and never check anything and then wonder why bad things happen.

How many engines failures are related to driving the vehicle aggressive when not fully warmed up to 180 degree oil temp maybe this is another factor that should also be considered.

Yes there are also those that have done everything properly and have lost a engine through no fault of there own and while tragic its probably a much lower percent rate of failure it is also one of the reasons all new cars have a warranty. All manufactures also have the discretion to repair or replace a defective component and like BMW Ford has done the smart thing and replaced the complete engine. Yes the numbers do not match but honestly there are too many of these vehicles being produced for that to really matter in the future. And if you are someone who really is a collector then the smartest thing to do is to not even drive the car and put in a time capsule as this will certainly provide you with the most value for it in the future.

The worse part of this thread is that it has created a lot of paranoia and made many on here mad at each other throwing insults at each other and that is very sad thing.

Last edited:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
are any of you guys that think this is a very low number of failures, whether blown or consuming oil, on the facebook group?

if not, i'd invite you to scroll around there for a few minutes and see if you still feel the same way.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
are any of you guys that think this is a very low number of failures, whether blown or consuming oil, on the facebook group?

if not, i'd invite you to scroll around there for a few minutes and see if you still feel the same way.
Do you know how percentages work?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

I was actually. I removed my self from the group. Talk about 'stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herders"
That place is a mess. Stay far away!

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I was actually. I removed my self from the group. Talk about 'stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herders"
That place is a mess. Stay far away!
i agree with you, but it is handy for quick info and has more traffic than here. my question was serious though, as i was curious if some of these guys just haven't seen how many have come through there with engine issues. there were 3 in the last 2 days.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Do you know how percentages work?
i'm unsure why taking a shot at me and numbers was needed by me asking a simple question. if you see all the "failures" there and still think it's miniscule, then we can agree to disagree. nothing wrong with that.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It's still miniscule. Scowering through the forums and FB, there's no way you can even come up with (pick a number) 100 engine replacements. I can't. With ~20,000 cars on the road, I'd say yea, numbers are still minuscule. Or at least in my opinion. I just picked the number 100 out of thin air as I don't know what else to reach for since I can't even get that high; what is your (and others) definition of "a lot", outrageous, or alarming rate, etc? That has yet to be defined, even if just opinion. That might help us meet on common ground if we knew what you guys defined as a lot, or what would define an epidemic. I may have to eat some crow on this one, and if I do, I'll chew and swallow proudly, but I'd be willing to bet Ford (from a purely business standpoint) does not consider low singe digit %% failures as an epidemic.