Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Whoever the affirmative action union worker watching the robot is, best start watching the robot. Betcha the Japs, Koreans or Germans could easily sort out the panel and paint issues. Is the robot also putting on the body panels? Cuz thems fucked up too.

I will now heed my own advice (see below).
"Japs"? Really?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh boy, here we go. IBTL
Meh, this thread has ran its course anyways. It’s an eyesore and no longer productive in any manner. It makes the passerby think they’re all pieces of shit waiting to explode. Like someone mentioned, this thread (almost alone) is probably scaring wouldbe customers and driving down value. If it were a democracy, I’d vote lock it.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Oh boy, here we go. IBTL
Hopefully this thread doesn’t go away but I’m sure some of the ford shills on here would love to see that happen. It’s gets more and more difficult by the day to take the position that there isn’t an issue with the 5.2
I think the member keeping the spreadsheet has given up on tracking the failures. Anyone that denies there is an alarming rate of engine failures at this point cannot be taken seriously

*edit* how ironic. While I’m typing, a perfect example in galaxys post. Let’s hide the issue to protect the value of the car and prevent would be buyers from learning about the engine issues. Pathetic.

RedWhiteBlues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Lightning Blue
Started the process with the dealer to monitor oil consumption, I am daily driving in Washington DC traffic so no high revs, 40 miles a day 5 days a week, and I am doing through 1 qt every 2 weeks. 400 miles per qt. Am I next for a engine failureat. 2017 mid September build date...
I have this theory, based on absolutely nothing, that this engine is happier being driven harder than easier. Higher temperatures, more metal expansion, tighter sealing and less oil usage. Kind of like SR22,s that leaked fuel until they were at full cruising in the air.... no idea if this actually makes any sense.

swamp_gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If Ford would tell us what the common failure points are, I'd consider replacing it on my own dime, before it actually fails. I think a lot of us would. It would almost be worth the cost of a rebuild on a failed engine(warranty be damned), just to know what the hell is going on. If certain components are having unexpected issues due to the environmental stresses of the glorious FPC(which I love btw), I'd sure like to know about it instead of waiting around for a failure. Ford built us a budget super car so that we could all get in the game, and I appreciate that, but if they won't keep us in the loop, then having an expert tear down the engine of a few confirmed failures, and document the weak points during the rebuild process could provide us all(the paying customers and owners) valuable insight as to what's happening and why. This could be done BEFORE our metallic children suffer a catastrophic failure. Let us not direct our rage at each other in this matter! Divided we fall.

One thing that I learn over and over in life, is that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself, or be heavily involved in the process. Union, non-union, hourly rate employees, non-educated, educated, it makes no difference....people fail all the time, and in return, I fail too, as I am human. Failure isn't the problem. It is our reaction to that failure, our ability to learn from it and move forward, that makes us stronger. Ford built me a great machine, which I paid for and put in my garage. It is mine. I did not lease it. I will sign no 'non-disclosures', and if the engine fails, they will tell me why or I will fix it myself. If you want something kept secret, then don't release it to the public in the form of a mass produced, high performance automobile! Ford, get involved with your community and family of patrons, provide some feedback, and support the community of enthusiasts that spend countless hours wrenching away and tinkering in their garages, and you shall be rewarded for it.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I have this theory, based on absolutely nothing, that this engine is happier being driven harder than easier. Higher temperatures, more metal expansion, tighter sealing and less oil usage. Kind of like SR22,s that leaked fuel until they were at full cruising in the air.... no idea if this actually makes any sense.
Well there is some anecdotal evidence posted here in various threads that some owners see less oil consumption tracking the car then putzing around town so there may be something to this theory. My own experience (no tracking) seems to point to a similar outcome - it seems the easier I drive this car recently, the more oil it consumes.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I can also confirm that I used to be very concerned about oil usage as I saw level going down to halfway between 2 dots after 1000 miles of easy city driving.
...Fast forward a few months; I hit Thomson speedway for a track day in a very hot July.
I bought 2 quarts of oil just in case I need to top off. Well, after 5 x 30 min sessions on track, and revs kept between 4000-7000 on most laps, I had to add zero, zilch. Level was exactly like before.
I am very happy with this car. I was thinking of selling it and get an "R", but just thinking about the reports of oil usage and blown motors, I don't like to take any chances... I am at 11k miles now and it runs still like new...

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I was thinking of selling it and get an "R", but just thinking about the reports of oil usage and blown motors, I don't like to take any chances... I am at 11k miles now and it runs still like new...

See, it didn’t even take an hour for someone to make my point for me. This engine, to best that we’ve been able to account for, has a greater than 95% success rate. Would you ever apply that logic to any other consumer product or item in your life? When else would you avoid something that has less than an 5% chance offailure? And now you’re making a decision on something that’s important to you based solely on the placebo effect from this thread and others. I am not attacking you or you’re logic at all torque, but moreso the effects of this stupid thread that had goodwill in the beginning, but has since waned in that department. If I was in the market for an R (or this car in general), there’s no way on earth I’d pass with these odds. This is what’s pathetic.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Welp after the long struggle of getting this car in May and putting just under 4600 miles on it just got work from the dealer that my engine is going to be replaced. The bearings in the motor are starting to seize and it wasn’t an issue of low oil when the incident happened it had over half of the dip stick to go so add me to the list of blown/replaced engines
Chasis #: J0328
Miles: 4600
Year: 2018
One more data point for the blowup occurring very early in the life of the engine. I think the sample by now is big enough to get quite comfortable that a 10k+ mile engine is almost sure to be safe. So the answer to people's worries is very easy: drive the piss out of that b-word, get to at least 15k mile as fast as you can, and you're covered.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hopefully this thread doesn’t go away but I’m sure some of the ford shills on here would love to see that happen. It’s gets more and more difficult by the day to take the position that there isn’t an issue with the 5.2
I think the member keeping the spreadsheet has given up on tracking the failures. Anyone that denies there is an alarming rate of engine failures at this point cannot be taken seriously

*edit* how ironic. While I’m typing, a perfect example in galaxys post. Let’s hide the issue to protect the value of the car and prevent would be buyers from learning about the engine issues. Pathetic.
Since I have been away for a while and obviously not up to speed and since I don't want to read through much of this thread again please provide me with some of your recent data which will substantiate the alarming rate of engine failures based on the actual number of cases reported or percentages of engine failures in relation to the number of cars built over the last 3 MY's.

:beer:

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
With the exception of this post I have deleted all my posts from this thread and will be unsubscribing this thread. Getting tired of all the hysterical nonsense in a lot of the posts.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Did I offend your European sensitivities? Didn't you guys give us slavery?
As an American serving overseas I have no European sensitivities, and yes, I find your use of the term "Japs" offensive. Instead of politics, personal attacks, and insults, it would be nice if we can figure out 1) If there is a widespread blown engine problem; 2) If so, what's causing it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not trying to insult, but a common misconception about failures is that there is a single root cause. From what I can tell, there have been a number of different issues. One is valve seals, for instance. Not really a major issue, but Ford has been kind enough to replace engines for a valve seal issue. The engine isn't "blown", but I think many have been associating oil usage with engine failure.

If the engine was out of warranty, most of us would replace the bad seal rather than the entire engine.

That's just one example - I understand there have been some other failures that were more severe and had different causes.