Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Jesus. A $30k engine bill when this car is out of warranty sounds spooky as hell. Hopefully a 3rd party shop gets ahold of one of these engines to dissect and pick apart soon to find the problem or there are going to be alot of uneasy owners in a few years when that warranty expiration date is getting near
I got a lead to pick up a BNIB Voodoo - complete from covers to pan and even includes clutch and fly wheel . Asking $10K . I am tempted as I have learnt the hard way it’s not a bad idea to keep a “spare” motor especially if you are doubling the horsepower from the factory.
I have a “spare” for both sleeved CP 5.2 blocks (GT350 Heads)in my Hellion and KB charged 15 GT ‘s and thinking of building a spare for the Voodoo before I slap on the gen 3 whipple .
It would however probably cost me more to build a stock Voodoo motor than start from scratch (since I already have a spare set of GT 350 Heads)
If anyone is interested shoot me a pm and I can pass on the information I have .

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I"m part of the GT350 facebook group.

One individual, who claims he works at the Ford plant where these cars are assembled, claims as soon as the car is finished, HE takes it to a roller dyno and immediately starts the car and runs it to redline and "bounced off the redline at FULL throttle".

I asked him to clarify, was he taking a new, cold engine with cold oil and instantly running it at full throttle and "bouncing it off the redline"?

He became defensive, tried to insult me, then blocked me.

If this is true, I told him we have discovered the reason for oil consumption, and blown engines.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

One individual, who claims he works at the Ford plant where these cars are assembled, claims as soon as the car is finished, HE takes it to a roller dyno and immediately starts the car and runs it to redline and "bounced off the redline at FULL throttle".

I asked him to clarify, was he taking a new, cold engine with cold oil and instantly running it at full throttle and "bouncing it off the redline"?

If this is true, I told him we have discovered the reason for oil consumption, and blown engines.
That's typical UAW behavior. He may be promoted actually. The end of line testing is supposed to be a ramp up in load, not an immediate run up.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
that guy did mention the oil was heated.

on another note...mine goes in monday for the replacement, fingers crossed!

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
that guy did mention the oil was heated.

on another note...mine goes in monday for the replacement, fingers crossed!
He specifically bragged it was dead cold, everything.

Maybe he edited his comment after he blocked me. What a dumb ass.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
He specifically bragged it was dead cold, everything.

Maybe he edited his comment after he blocked me. What a dumb ass.
i could be wrong, but i swore he said they heated the oil beforehand. i will tell you, if we are talking about the same guy, he was very helpful with fasteners and part numbers when i had my splitter ordeal, and he didn't owe me a thing.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I got a lead to pick up a BNIB Voodoo - complete from covers to pan and even includes clutch and fly wheel . Asking $10K . I am tempted as I have learnt the hard way it’s not a bad idea to keep a “spare” motor especially if you are doubling the horsepower from the factory.
I have a “spare” for both sleeved CP 5.2 blocks (GT350 Heads)in my Hellion and KB charged 15 GT ‘s and thinking of building a spare for the Voodoo before I slap on the gen 3 whipple .
It would however probably cost me more to build a stock Voodoo motor than start from scratch (since I already have a spare set of GT 350 Heads)
If anyone is interested shoot me a pm and I can pass on the information I have .
If I only had room in my garage. I have a spare transmission but a spare motor would be the ticket!

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
i could be wrong, but i swore he said they heated the oil beforehand. i will tell you, if we are talking about the same guy, he was very helpful with fasteners and part numbers when i had my splitter ordeal, and he didn't owe me a thing.
Is his initials JN?

And how would they "heat" the oil? And why even go through that process when merely starting and running the car would get the oil "heated"

Sounds like he either changed his story (and frankly, heated oil in a cold, NEW engine wouldn't help much), or it's a different idiot.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I'd say he most likely was just talking bull **** thats why he blocked you.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'd say he most likely was just talking bull **** thats why he blocked you.
Hell of a dumbass thing to even admit, let alone doing, such a moronic thing.

I know this much, if my engine blows, he’ll be mentioned loudly in my warranty complaint, as well as any future litigation.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

That's typical UAW behavior. He may be promoted actually. The end of line testing is supposed to be a ramp up in load, not an immediate run up.
I'm thinking this guy was hired at the beginning of the '17 MY run...
Seriously, how could this be acceptable practice in a world class manufacturing plant. Too many checks and balances- at least I would hope there'd be...

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm thinking this guy was hired at the beginning of the '17 MY run...
Seriously, how could this be acceptable practice in a world class manufacturing plant. Too many checks and balances- at least I would hope there'd be...
Fortunately, he must have called in sick the day my car ran across the rollers. No oil consumption now at 8700 miles, engine runs great.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Is his initials JN?

And how would they "heat" the oil? And why even go through that process when merely starting and running the car would get the oil "heated"

Sounds like he either changed his story (and frankly, heated oil in a cold, NEW engine wouldn't help much), or it's a different idiot.
Lol i was guessing/hoping it meant they simply let the motor get warm, but as muddy as the waters are with this car i can also picture someone stirring what looks like a witch’s vat in the corner.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So without reading through all 39 pages again, what is the standard set by ford where an engine is replaced by oil consumption? Is it >1qt/500 miles?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
So without reading through all 39 pages again, what is the standard set by ford where an engine is replaced by oil consumption? Is it >1qt/500 miles?
Correct, as far as I've seen. But the actual consumption test is 1000 miles, so of course we are burning off 2+