Blown Engine Thread

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by S550VIN54, May 22, 2018.

1. rick81721

rick81721 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350 LB H6153, 2013 Dodge Citadel
    0   0   0
    I agree, would have no issue with a dealer doing it.

2. IMDNS

IMDNS Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    Not hard to understand.

First, not all potential buyers read mustang6g and do a tone of research before buying the car. They see an engine swap, it is an automatic red flag. Walk away from something questionable, look elsewhere without further investigation, is most people's first reaction - especially when buying a used car. If they do a lot of research... well then, this thread is like a 'buyer-beware' type of sign.
    People canceled their orders on 2014 911 GT3 due to the engine replacement recall, despite the fact that Porsche gave extra 1-year warranty on the new engine.

Second, engine swapping is not as simple as changing battery on your Nokia. No one wants the car to be opened up, unplugged or parts unscrewed.

Last, some dealer tech couldn't even install a front splitter properly with the instruction manual on hand, I don't know who to trust when it comes to engine installation.

jvandy50 likes this.
  3. Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Harold
    Vehicle(s):
    16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to report. 10,500 miles with over 10 track days and coming up on another weekend. Engine still rocks. If i had an engine failure, it will be replaced. I don't see the problem. Probably will have a failure at the rate I drive and track the car. It would be a new lease on life at that point. New engine!!!! WOOHOO~!

raiderjatt02 and sublime1996525 like this.
  4. torque124

torque124 Torque

Vehicle(s):
    Shelby GT350
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    You are wrong about the mods... when it's time to sell, 99% of the time mods deter buyers, not encourage. Of course there are a few enthusiasts that will prefer the mods added, but that is a very small percentage. You might as well put it back to stock, and never mention it was ever modded.
    I mean engine/ transmission/exhaust mods, not tint and wheels and stuff. I have been buying and selling cars for over 30 years now.... I used to have a shop overseas. This still sticks to date.

Zitrosounds likes this.
  5. torque124

torque124 Torque

Vehicle(s):
    Shelby GT350
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I am on 10,720. No issues what so ever, although I do not track like you do... And I do about 2 oil changes a year; every 6 months, no matter how many miles (but this is also due to car being is storage for 4 months or so every winter).

Zitrosounds likes this.
  6. jvandy50

jvandy50 H3249

First Name:
    jason
    Vehicle(s):
    '17 350, '10 JKU, '14 FZ09
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    yeah you agreed with me...i said "as an enthusiast" lol

i did not list my car any higher than i would if it was stock

7. rick81721

rick81721 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350 LB H6153, 2013 Dodge Citadel
    0   0   0
    Point 1 I don't care because I have no plans to ever sell. Points 2 and 3, it's under warranty, if the dealer blows the install, they have to fix it.

8. MulhollandMonster

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    Ya, but it most likely is the same UAW union chumps building the Voodoo that build every other Ford product. Unions don't reward and breed excellence. Quite the opposite. And their end product proves it.

9. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Shelby GT350 Lightning Blue
    0   0   0
    Dude, come on - it's a thread about blown engines not a platform for you to make gross generalizations about people you don't even know. Grow up.

Zitrosounds likes this.
  10. kommons

kommons Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350R
    0   0   0
    Anyone? Is this the wrong thread to ask? Are people being asked to sign non-disclosure on process or details?

11. Atlas1

Atlas1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 TRD Pro
    0   0   0
    i'd look into your state laws and be ready to get representation if necessary. limit what you post online about your situation until its resolved.
    i wouldn't want an engine swapped car either so good luck. sucks you are in this position.

12. MulhollandMonster

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    Does the engine say UAW on it? Are there an inordinate amount of failures occurring? Yes. My engine failed. Did yours? It is my opinion that IF you are going to impose and proudly wear the UAW union brand (which I know all about, to the raging fury of union members) on the engine, then your reputation is on the line. No excuses. I don't make excuses when I put my name on product...I would put money it is stemming from incompetent UAW employees. Why would you expect anything less?...My panel gaps are a joke. Such poor craftsmanship.

J_Maher_AMG, madlag and Atlas1 like this.
  13. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Shelby GT350 Lightning Blue
    0   0   0
    The reality is that people on the forum can only speculate what the issue is - that includes you. The issue with the engines that have failed could be many - bad engineering, bad run of critical parts, accountants wanting to save a nickel here and there. Poor assembly, like you say, is also possible or even a combination of things.

I would bet money that the vast majority of union workers are like anyone else - they work hard and want to do a great job. Some people don't care but only to the same extent as non union workers. After all, being in or not in a union doesn't make a person more or less competent at their job. A lazy person doesn't become a better worker if they are in a non union job and vice-versa.

To be fair - you know who built your engine - they signed it! But without any real facts, it's unreasonable to blame UAW. And for the same reason, just as unreasonable to blame anyone - we don't have anywhere near enough information.

14. Front Runner

Front Runner Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350
    0   0   0
    For what it's worth, I live in a right to work / non-union state, NC, and some of the workers here are just as sorry. I'd be willing to bet that its the same everywhere.

15. MulhollandMonster

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    We all know about the genesis of unions. We all know about the incompetence they breed. We all know unions are a racket to shake down corporations, and their schtick is protecting the incompetent and getting them overpaid...I have lived and breathed one way or another adversely effected by unions. When I lifted the hood and saw the UAW Proud, with a couple favored union member signatures on it, I had absolutely no faith the engine would be of good quality. This is no massive revelation...Says UAW, and it is blows.

Did I mention the horrible paint on my UAW GT350?

Inconvenient truth....Did I mention Detroit?

madlag likes this.
  16. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Premium PP and a few others
    Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    No. And before your post I didn't even know robots were in the UAW.

Wilson44 and MulhollandMonster like this.
  17. MulhollandMonster

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    Whoever the affirmative action union worker watching the robot is, best start watching the robot. Betcha the Japs, Koreans or Germans could easily sort out the panel and paint issues. Is the robot also putting on the body panels? Cuz thems fucked up too.

I will now heed my own advice (see below).

18. Atlas1

Atlas1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 TRD Pro
    0   0   0
    And before your post I never knew that robots had taken over QA as well

J_Maher_AMG likes this.
  19. Jossyfilms

Jossyfilms Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 orange fury gt350
    0   0   0
    Welp after the long struggle of getting this car in May and putting just under 4600 miles on it just got work from the dealer that my engine is going to be replaced. The bearings in the motor are starting to seize and it wasn’t an issue of low oil when the incident happened it had over half of the dip stick to go so add me to the list of blown/replaced engines
    Chasis #: J0328
    Miles: 4600
    Year: 2018

20. Jossyfilms

Jossyfilms Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 orange fury gt350
    0   0   0
    Another question anyone have an idea of how long the buy back process takes just wondering to see if I should try for a 2019 or try and get another 2018 probably gunna go for an R this time