Sponsored

Blackvue DR900X-2CH dash cam install, operation & review on a 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
In this video, I show a step-by-step DIY hardwire install of Blackvue's DR900X-2CH dash cam on my 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack. I take you out for daytime and nighttime drives to see how the dash cam operates. I also show the phone app interface and give my review of the setup. The step-by-step "how to" install begins at 14:45.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Excellent, something to watch tonight.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Well done Tim...!!!
I have the Thinkware front/rear set-up which looks like they have a lot of the same features.
Did you compare both and decide on the Blackvue over the Thinkware?
Just curious.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Well done Tim...!!!
I have the Thinkware front/rear set-up which looks like they have a lot of the same features.
Did you compare both and decide on the Blackvue over the Thinkware?
Just curious.
I looked at a few compare/contrast videos on various dash cams online and opted for the Blackvue setup. I've only driven the car a few times with it installed, but so far, I am quite pleased with it... it's a nice setup. I like having it hardwired and running while driving and parked.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I also installed this exact setup last summer. Itā€™s a great system, I really like it.

Sponsored

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
Nice video. I went with the Thinkware U1000 but I cross shopped the Blackvue. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
As expected, very nice video Goose!

I will definitely circle back around to this.

RR

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Nice video. I went with the Thinkware U1000 but I cross shopped the Blackvue. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
As expected, very nice video Goose!

I will definitely circle back around to this.

RR
Thanks guys!
anyone have a dashcam like this WITH a radar detector too?

(mounted detector on the rear view - not down low reducing range)
A combo dash cam/radar detector sounds lovely on paper, but the downside of combining tech is when one fails or goes obsolete, it renders the package useless.

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
Thanks guys!

A combo dash cam/radar detector sounds lovely on paper, but the downside of combining tech is when one fails or goes obsolete, it renders the package useless.
I didnā€™t say single unit. I said with... as in radar detector on a blend mount type mount off the rear view. And a dash cam set up ā€œlike thisā€...

mad in blend mount sells nice mounts for both devices but not a combined mount. And Iā€™m not sure if given the blocking on the windshield behind the mirror - you can mount the camera to the windshield and the detector to the rear bore stall and still have clearance and no interference

I see your detector way down and on the drivers side - that is a range killer. Donā€™t know where you are from bu mounting that low here in hilly country - might as well mount it in the glove box.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I see your detector way down and on the drivers side - that is a range killer. Donā€™t know where you are from bu mounting that low here in hilly country
Based on the leaves on the tree in the background of his avatar photo, I believe he is from the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Arborist Disclaimer
The leaves in the photo told me nothing & I'm not an Arborist.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Great video/instructions.

I've had several dash cams in my quest for the perfect one. Ended up with a DR900S (vice X) and it proved to be the best among them by far. Learned a couple lessons that may also be relevant to the X:

1. It's tempting to run the rear wiring along the passenger side since the front is wired from that direction (from the fuse box). However, it's important to wire the rear camera from the driver's side (opposite the front), because the camera's plug faces that direction. So, if you go from the passenger side, the cord will have a kink in it, resulting in a generally sloppy install. Learned this the hard way.

2. The DR900S camera is prone to rattle--not sure if that was fixed on the X. It took a while to figure out the source. I have the blend mount and absolutely love it, but thought that it was the source of the rattle.
https://blackvue.com/product/blendmount-dashcam-mount/

After torquing and padding like crazy, I finally did a web search and found the problem was in the camera itself. Followed the instructions that several helpful people had posted and voila.
https://www.rdforum.org/threads/77494/#post-1170677

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I didnā€™t say single unit. I said with... as in radar detector on a blend mount type mount off the rear view. And a dash cam set up ā€œlike thisā€...

mad in blend mount sells nice mounts for both devices but not a combined mount. And Iā€™m not sure if given the blocking on the windshield behind the mirror - you can mount the camera to the windshield and the detector to the rear bore stall and still have clearance and no interference

I see your detector way down and on the drivers side - that is a range killer. Donā€™t know where you are from bu mounting that low here in hilly country - might as well mount it in the glove box.
Ahhh, I misunderstood the combo thing. As for my low radar detector, Iā€™m in flat TX... no issues... plus I also run Waze.
Based on the leaves on the tree in the background of his avatar photo, I believe he is from the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Arborist Disclaimer
The leaves in the photo told me nothing & I'm not an Arborist.
Funny! šŸ˜† Yes, I live in the DFW area. You must be a good leaf reader!šŸ˜‰
Great video/instructions.

I've had several dash cams in my quest for the perfect one. Ended up with a DR900S (vice X) and it proved to be the best among them by far. Learned a couple lessons that may also be relevant to the X:

1. It's tempting to run the rear wiring along the passenger side since the front is wired from that direction (from the fuse box). However, it's important to wire the rear camera from the driver's side (opposite the front), because the camera's plug faces that direction. So, if you go from the passenger side, the cord will have a kink in it, resulting in a generally sloppy install. Learned this the hard way.

2. The DR900S camera is prone to rattle--not sure if that was fixed on the X. It took a while to figure out the source. I have the blend mount and absolutely love it, but thought that it was the source of the rattle.
https://blackvue.com/product/blendmount-dashcam-mount/

After torquing and padding like crazy, I finally did a web search and found the problem was in the camera itself. Followed the instructions that several helpful people had posted and voila.
https://www.rdforum.org/threads/77494/#post-1170677

Good stuff! I havenā€™t noticed any rattling yet with their latest X version, but I watch for it.
Sponsored