Sponsored

Black Ceramic Coated Exhaust Tips - How are they holding up?

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
How are the black exhaust tips holding up on these cars? Are you applying a ceramic coat or any type of protection to the tips to keep the coating from eroding due to weather and washing the car?

If you have any chips how have you repaired them?
Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
My BULLITT will be 1 year old on Aug. 1st. Have just over 4,000km (2,500miles), and tips are still like new. It is a fair weather car, finally getting christened in the rain this past weekend, and no winter driving, so no salt.....

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
So far so good at 1100 of daily driven miles.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Some of the coating inside the tips is gone, and the overall exterior coating color appears to have lightened some on my vehicle. With the amount of heat getting to the area, I haven't yet heard of anyone who has tried to maintain the coating with some sort of high temperature coating on top of it.

OP
OP
cib24

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Thanks for the feedback. I ask because I saw that Matt Marran on Youtube had issues with flaking and the Bullitt I saw at my local dealership here in the UK waiting to be delivered to a customer had some chipping on the leftmost tail pipe. I suppose when I get mine and it's in a good shape I will consider getting it ceramic coated with a high temp ceramic coating similar to how you put that on wheels and calipers to make them easier to wash.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Thanks for the feedback. I ask because I saw that Matt Marran on Youtube had issues with flaking and the Bullitt I saw at my local dealership here in the UK waiting to be delivered to a customer had some chipping on the leftmost tail pipe. I suppose when I get mine and it's in a good shape I will consider getting it ceramic coated with a high temp ceramic coating similar to how you put that on wheels and calipers to make them easier to wash.
We never heard the result of Matt's exhaust tips. Looks like he's been MIA for a couple of months....As discussed in his thread, it is not a cheap fix, and likely not one Ford is going to easily step up on......

OP
OP
cib24

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
We never heard the result of Matt's exhaust tips. Looks like he's been MIA for a couple of months....As discussed in his thread, it is not a cheap fix, and likely not one Ford is going to easily step up on......
That is annoying. I guess the coating is similar to what people do with headers, so in theory you can take the cat-back exhaust off the car and get it ceramic coated black. It's just annoying that this might be at the customer's expense.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is annoying. I guess the coating is similar to what people do with headers, so in theory you can take the cat-back exhaust off the car and get it ceramic coated black. It's just annoying that this might be at the customer's expense.
Since NitroPlate (https://nitroplate.com/coatings/) is a high temperature coating, I am surprised there is any flaking off of it.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on how good the prep-work before hand is and if there was any contamination. Like any other coating.
Let me rephrase - I am surprised that a Ford OEM supplier would not prepare properly for this application :) Of course, there is the whole Mustang aluminum hood situation, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Let me rephrase - I am surprised that a Ford OEM supplier would not prepare properly for this application :) Of course, there is the whole Mustang aluminum hood situation, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!
I worked(and my dad, and uncle and grand father, and a cousin) at a supplier for MANY OEM's. You'd be surprised what they accept as passable. VW was actually the tightest QC out of GM, Chrysler, VW, BMW and Ford. We could send the US makers almost anything that was JUST inside spec and they would accept it. VW had tighter QC in-house that would send more stuff back.

Ironic as from personal experience VW also has the worst quality drive trains. It's also part of what makes me laugh when people think that made in the USA is somehow inherently better quality.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Am thinking of applying a couple of coats of Gloss Black caliper paint!! Don’t really like the primer look??
Sponsored