Black 2020 GT500 Mustang with Colored Emblem Spotted Testing in Dearborn

Discussion in 'Shelby GT500 Mustang' started by Jarstang, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2 - '17 and 1 - '18 GT350 R's
    0   0   0
    I have mixed feeling about the roll cage. On on hand, it adds a huge amunt of safety, on the other, it adds weight. The 500 is already rumored to be heavy as it is, it does not need additional weight on top of it all. The only way to make it mor
    You're not going to buy one, really, what do you care? Don't you have anything else better to do?

2. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Whoa there, buddy. I know you Shelby folk are a sensitive group, but don't get your panties in a bunch.

You don't know my financial status. Perhaps if they would've used the right front end and it had specs and details that excited me a bit more, I'd be excited for it. It just isn't the car for me. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on it, and doesn't mean I can;t wish that they would've catered better to my desires a bit better.

3. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0
    Jake, you are off your rocker, if you don't think the GT500 looks incredibly angry & mean from the front.

You keep judging aesthetics, instead of function...

4. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    It looks mean. It also looks goofy.

It's very possible to blend high functionality with pleasing aesthetics... look at the Ford GT, Ferrari Pista, or even the MARC Mustang race car I posted. Ford just didn't do a great job of it with the GT500. And honestly, I'm having trouble finding the functional benefit of filled in "vents" beside the headlights and a bumper bar that's separated from the rest of the bumper cover

5. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0
    I do not see anything wrong with the GT500's front end. To me, it is the best looking front end of any Mustang in recent history. Maybe because you have not seen it in person yet, & don't have a hands-on view of the front aero.

Do you get mad when you go to the races & racecars have aero?

6. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Might be, but it's not too far off from the GT350, and from what I've seen, it's hard to see how it could possibly be an improvement on the look of that car

No, but there's a few issues with that rationale:
    1. This is a street car, not a race car
    2. I'm not in the financial position to buy a $500k+ race car
    3. Most race car aero is more aesthetically pleasing than this car... like the MARC mustang, the GT4 Mustang, etc.

7. mavisky

mavisky Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350
    0   0   0
    I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you right there, and this is just my personal opinion, but those large straight lines on the outside edges of the bumper make me think bulldozer instead of sports car. I've made plenty of posts in this forum about the functional purposes of this design on the GT500, but aesthetically it's just not my cup of tea. I prefer the GT350 design much more which is one of the reasons why I bought one instead of stretching my budget and waiting for the GT500.

46941691802_a0c6008c81_b.jpg

jake_zx2 likes this.
  8. protraxduner

protraxduner Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1986 saleen mustang
    0   0   0
    It is all personal opinion. Until the release of the GT500 I thought you could not get better than the GT350 from a looks perspective. Aside from the side vents, i cosmetically like everything better on the GT500. And i LOVE the GT350 looks. But now to me the GT350 front end looks...well not sure of the word but 'Soft' comes to mind. Again just personal tastes, coming from a guy that likes AMC gremlins.....

btown93 and Epiphany like this.
  9. JRoman

JRoman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford, MKIV, RR
    0   0   0
    At quick glance for me, the 350 looks like a snake with its fangs showing whereas the 500 looks like a snake with mouth wide open ready to strike.

93_SVT_3503, JJ and mavisky like this.
  10. mavisky

mavisky Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350
    0   0   0
    Totally agree on the GT350, I just only see catfish on the GT500 with that black center bar.

11. cj428

cj428 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350R TT
    0   0   0
    The 500 looks sharp in person.

12. Lacquer

Lacquer Member

Vehicle(s):
    Fords
    0   0   0
    To me this is the best Mustang that has come to market is several decades, and there have been many very good ones in that time period. It has incredible performance to rival anything from the US and many things from Europe, it is simple yet functional. and will be affordable (even with an ADM) compared to anything else out there. I am sure some will say something about the new C8 Corvette, but even that will have ADM when it first comes out. I am confident it will be able to hold it's head up high comparared to anything Corvette has offered to date.
    This is the first Mustang in a long, long time that can be put into Corvette and Porsche 911 company without compromise.
    Looking forward to getting one!

13. 9secondko

9secondko Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2003 cobra
    0   0   0
    I have to say, looking at both pics together, the 500 looks tons better than the 350. Even makes the 350 look old.

The ONE thing the 350 has over the 500 is the side vents. It really establishes a commanding look when viewed from the side. Every other angle, the 500 looks leagues better.

14. FastCarFanBoy

FastCarFanBoy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 GB GT
    0   0   0
    I'm no fan of the grille center bar of the 500, but the front fascia of the 500 says it has a purpose while the 350 just looks like a cosmetic piece to differentiate it from a GT.

15. Darkane

Darkane Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Base
    0   0   0
    BUT, the 350 front is very functional and purposeful.

In fact the R was even slightly differentiated from the base with less grill opening for better slip.

People buying these cars based on looks is defeating the point. I mean yes, we’re not going to be caught in ugly cars that perform super well.

So, maybe the 350 doesn’t look (in your eyes) to have a purpose, it very much does.