Billy Johnson Reaches 139 MPH at Vegas Speedway

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
I’m not entirely sure, but from what I’ve read and seen, 139 MPH is flat moving on the front straight of Las Vegas Motor Speedway. And this was with a passenger, who happened to be Stangmode.

Screen capture taken from his latest video.

7DA23AF1-55C1-41CC-B5AB-BA368F630B62.png

Does anyone know for sure the top speeds typically achieved on that track?
Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Thats probably about it on the front straight. I wasnt allowed video for my ride alongs, but the cars were MOVING!

I grabbed this bit of data on 1 of the laps on my ride along

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
@V00D00 smart move on collecting that data. I was still in giggle mode from driving and didn’t think till after I should’ve ran something like track addict if I could get a signal and not be obvious.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
@V00D00 although I did think that would be A smidge faster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OMG, 139, lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
chill66

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I guess it’s not as fast I was thinking for that track? :crackup:
Granted, it s a short track. What makes me laugh is the number thrown out there. 139, lol.

Everyone knows Billy is a world class driver and I'd be honored to meet him one day.... I'm a fan. But honestly it isn't headline news that Billy Johnson reached 139 mph in a GT500 at las Las Vegas. The whole Vegas venue thing leaves me with mixed feelings. I think the car is a VIR or daytona machine, not some short track PR dog an pony show.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
@Tomster theres a lot of reasons why they chose Vegas first. The car will be at other tracks. Personally I loved taking it out on the short course. Showed that the weight didn’t hurt the car and then you had the two straights to get it up to speed a bit and get feel for how quickly the car could move out

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@Tomster theres a lot of reasons why they chose Vegas first. The car will be at other tracks. Personally I loved taking it out on the short course. Showed that the weight didn’t hurt the car and then you had the two straights to get it up to speed a bit and get feel for how quickly the car could move out
That's great. Viva Las Vegas

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Pretty obvious the main reason was home of Shelby American.
-J
Among other things. A venue with close proximity to an airport, infrastructure, as well as familiarity. However, I would suspect that there is a reason they turned off the drag time board and didn't allow video in the car outside of controlled circumstances. So, was the vegas press release a success? Yes, they pulled it off. The media loves the car..... as they should, Ford engineers had a lot of time to develop it and get it right. Now as for the vegas circus, I still will insist that it wasn't the best venue to demonstrate the performance capabilities of the car. Plain and simple. There are better strips and tracks to do that. However in the name of all of the above, it wound up in Vegas with a bunch of press (amateur hour) who were not able to realize the true potential of the car.

Say it ain't so, Joe.

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
Among other things. A venue with close proximity to an airport, infrastructure, as well as familiarity. However, I would suspect that there is a reason they turned off the drag time board and didn't allow video in the car outside of controlled circumstances. So, was the vegas press release a success? Yes, they pulled it off. The media loves the car..... as they should, Ford engineers had a lot of time to develop it and get it right. Now as for the vegas circus, I still will insist that it wasn't the best venue to demonstrate the performance capabilities of the car. Plain and simple. There are better strips and tracks to do that. However in the name of all of the above, it wound up in Vegas with a bunch of press (amateur hour) who were not able to realize the true potential of the car.

Say it ain't so, Joe.
You were a little more tame on your response than I would have bee, I have been to vegas 3 times for conventions. Rather large ones. It is held in Vegas because of the amenities and "extra curriculars" that people enjoy.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You were a little more tame on your response than I would have bee, I have been to vegas 3 times for conventions. Rather large ones. It is held in Vegas because of the amenities and "extra curriculars" that people enjoy.
"Infrastructure", "extra curriculars", potato, potatoes

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Can't wait to see this thing on more benchmark tracks, in the hands of professionals

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
@V00D00 smart move on collecting that data. I was still in giggle mode from driving and didn’t think till after I should’ve ran something like track addict if I could get a signal and not be obvious.
@V00D00 although I did think that would be A smidge faster
Since i wasnt allowed video, i got angry and when im angry, i think much faster, i said to myself, im getting some kinda of goddamn data today. I ws hoping it would be able to show some sort of lap time as well, but no.

so had my phone, grabbed the dragy and just made sure it worked inside my pocket.

the time will be faster. that was cftp and the pro driver on the front(?) straight, near pit lane. You can see the G meter a bit crazy at 1st, i think it was coming out of that right hand turn and then WOT. so not being a dedicated run, and cftp aero slowing it down, i KNOW 6s, maybe 6.8 oem base is do-able
Sponsored