Sponsored

Billy Johnson - GT500 CFTP in-car video from Buttonwillow #13 CCW

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Here's a hot lap of me driving a 2020 GT500 CFTP at Buttonwillow #13 CCW after a good day coaching the owner. Unfortunately there were no clear laps during the brief time I got to drive, and these two half-laps had the least traffic. Together these laps make a 1:57.44 lap despite the TT1 race-spec GTR over-slowing a few corners, and more traffic before the front straight.

Enjoy

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Nice driving! Wish you had a clear shot. The "Godzilla" in front of you had the Mother of all wings. Some outlaw sprint car is missing a wing. JP

OP
OP

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Nice driving! Wish you had a clear shot. The "Godzilla" in front of you had the Mother of all wings. Some outlaw sprint car is missing a wing. JP
Thanks. The tires were a few track days old and I just did a couple 'hot laps' to show the owner what the car can do, but at least there's now a decent video of Buttonwillow Config #13 CCW since none of them out there showed the line very well.

Haha, yea the wing was huge but functional. That GTR had over 1,000hp and a ton of grip.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Here's a hot lap of me driving a 2020 GT500 CFTP at Buttonwillow #13 CCW after a good day coaching the owner. Unfortunately there were no clear laps during the brief time I got to drive, and these two half-laps had the least traffic. Together these laps make a 1:57.44 lap despite the TT1 race-spec GTR over-slowing a few corners, and more traffic before the front straight.

Enjoy

Hey Billy, just watched the video you did with Speed Phenom:

You seem like a really cool dude. Thanks for reminding me of how much I'm just a wannabe the way you were effortlessly sliding that C8 around, driving with your finger tips, lol!

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Awesome video. That thing really accelerates in the straighter parts. Thanks for posting!

And LMFAO at that spoiler on that GTR. lol!

Sponsored

GT 500 760

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 ........Past Shelby’s 2019 GT350R, 2009 GT500 KR, 1970 GT500 ,1969 GT350 ,1966 GT350.
Hey Billy I’ve watched you race many times years ago at Daytona. You came from behind and held off those BMW‘s during the final 10 laps for a win. Great finish and exciting to watch.

pbsis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
701 e
Hey Billy, Loved the videos. Since you have a ton of experience tracking these cars can you detect a difference when running them on 91 octane vs 93 octane or even higher? In many states all we have is 91 octane and I don't know if I should run some torco booster or not.

OP
OP

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey Billy I’ve watched you race many times years ago at Daytona. You came from behind and held off those BMW‘s during the final 10 laps for a win. Great finish and exciting to watch.
Thanks for the support! Those were always fun races at Daytona.

Hey Billy, Loved the videos. Since you have a ton of experience tracking these cars can you detect a difference when running them on 91 octane vs 93 octane or even higher? In many states all we have is 91 octane and I don't know if I should run some torco booster or not.
I grew up in Southern California and feel your pain. But having done a lot of the development driving on 93, and having tested the GT500 on 91 in CA (and driving Joe Gatt's 500 in CA) I honestly can't feel a difference. Even going from 91 to 100 at the track from one session to another, you're unlikely going to feel a 1-2% change in power at this power level, if it even does that. For street driving, I wouldn't bother with octane booster. If you're going to the strip or track (you'll be refueling a lot on track) then do it if you want to spend the $, but you don't 'need' to.

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
Thanks for the support! Those were always fun races at Daytona.

I grew up in Southern California and feel your pain. But having done a lot of the development driving on 93, and having tested the GT500 on 91 in CA (and driving Joe Gatt's 500 in CA) I honestly can't feel a difference. Even going from 91 to 100 at the track from one session to another, you're unlikely going to feel a 1-2% change in power at this power level, if it even does that. For street driving, I wouldn't bother with octane booster. If you're going to the strip or track (you'll be refueling a lot on track) then do it if you want to spend the $, but you don't 'need' to.
Great video, thanks for sharing everything with the community. I have always had the philosophy that running higher octane at the track in my tuned / blown S197 was cheap insurance. Do you feel that is not really necessary here in California with 91 Octane and tracking the car on a stock engine? Would you recommend an octane booster for track days as an alternative to fueling / mixing 100 octane which is what is commonly available at the track?

Just did 2 days at Laguna Seca this last weekend for my first track days in this car and came away so impressed!

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Awesome content as always bro! Keep up the great work.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Great video, thanks for sharing everything with the community. I have always had the philosophy that running higher octane at the track in my tuned / blown S197 was cheap insurance. Do you feel that is not really necessary here in California with 91 Octane and tracking the car on a stock engine? Would you recommend an octane booster for track days as an alternative to fueling / mixing 100 octane which is what is commonly available at the track?

Just did 2 days at Laguna Seca this last weekend for my first track days in this car and came away so impressed!
It's probably a good idea to run higher octane in your blown S197 or any car on track with an aftermarket tune. All of these aftermarket tunes don't have the same attention to detail, safeties, and time and effort as the OEM calibration that ensures your engine doesn't blow up on track.

A stock GT500 does not 'need' higher octane to prevent it from blowing up. However if you 'tune' it and modify it, then that goes out the door and higher octane would be a good idea.

Awesome content as always bro! Keep up the great work.
Thanks buddy!

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Great video! Thanks for sharing. Curious as to your thoughts on the CFTP GT500 vs the 350R at the track.
Sponsored