Billet rear shock mounts - advantages?

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
What are the advantages of aftermarket rear shock mounts?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I think it's mostly been in road race applications but people have had problems after stiffening their suspension , having the rear shock mount break. The Steeda billet shock mounts are MUCH stronger. I just bought a set. If you do, pay particular attention to the inner diameter hole size and make sure you get the correct one for your shocks. If you plan to upgrade your shocks, I'd wait and buy them for the shocks you're getting or if they are the same, go ahead. They are super easy to replace.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
People have broken the factory mounts in harsh driving conditions.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The advantage is that when bottoming out the suspension, you'll break your shocks instead of your shock mounts. But then again, maybe you get lucky and don't break anything.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thats basically it ... the OE are not as strong & we had a lot of customers breaking them at the strip or on the track.

Made from billet 6061 aluminum, these mounts are designed to replace the weak cast factory units. Unlike the factory mounts that have a rubber bushing that binds and will deteriorate over time on lowered cars or cars with aggressive shock settings, these units feature a Steeda spec stainless steel spherical Teflon lined bearing for optimum performance and control. Steeda also designed this kit to provide 1/4" more clearance for wide rear tires!

Steeda also went a step further by making 4 kits. One for factory and Ford Racing shocks that are 10mm-1.5 in diameter (555-8151), for aftermarket shocks like our Pro-Action that are 12mm in diameter (555-8152), for non-adjustable Pro-Actions and Koni's with a 10mm-1.0 thread (555-8160) and lastly one for Coil-over shocks like the Vogtland, Bilstein, KW and Roush (555-8161).
If you are running stock shocks now but might upgrade to Pro-Actions in the future, no problem, there is no drilling required like the OEM mounts, these mounts are upgradable with a simple spacer and nut change (555-8153). The Steeda Billet Shock Mounts are a great upgrade to drag racers and road racers alike, or if you’re running aggressive shocks on your car, these will greatly help with control with uncompromised durability.

TJ

Last edited:

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Sweet! I didn't know there was a spacer option. That way whenever I get around to replacing my Koni Sport adjustables with the Steeda Pro Action adjustables, I don't have to replace these as well.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Sweet! I didn't know there was a spacer option. That way whenever I get around to replacing my Koni Sport adjustables with the Steeda Pro Action adjustables, I don't have to replace these as well.
I believe the Konis and Steeda are the same diameter so you shouldn't need to change anything.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
After I installed an LCA bearing, like most, the rear became a little bouncy from time to time. After installing these, the rear end bounciness was all but eliminated - I mean it reduced significantly. Like I've said elsewhere, I have no idea WHY... but that's what happened.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
After I installed an LCA bearing, like most, the rear became a little bouncy from time to time. After installing these, the rear end bounciness was all but eliminated - I mean it reduced significantly. Like I've said elsewhere, I have no idea WHY... but that's what happened.
Interesting. Are you pretty sure it's not placebo effect? May look into these in the future. But I'm pretty sure my Ford Racing dampers came with their own shock mounts. I wonder if the Steeda ones would still be an upgrade for me.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ford Racing does not make shock mounts stronger than these. You use the same shock mount, unless they've changed something I'm not aware of.

It is not a placebo. It wasn't a total solution (adjusting shocks also is). But, I did not adjust the shocks immediately after installing these. If you look at the spherical bearing in these shock mounts in relation to the orientation of the shock, you see how much the shock's bushing at its lower mounting point gets bound up without them which probably contributed to bounciness that wasn't absorbed by the now missing LCA bushing. This is the best explanation I can give.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Interesting. Are you pretty sure it's not placebo effect? May look into these in the future. But I'm pretty sure my Ford Racing dampers came with their own shock mounts. I wonder if the Steeda ones would still be an upgrade for me.
I think the FRPP track dampers come with the regular PP shock mounts, not sure thou.

In theory, if the shock mount is stiffer, it allows the damper to dampen more effectively (attenuate 2nd order components), so it sort of makes sense. The question is, how soft are the original ones?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
These things are beefy and beautiful. I doubt anyone will be able to break these, highly recommended.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
These things are beefy and beautiful. I doubt anyone will be able to break these, highly recommended.
Plus, the upper mount has a spherical bearing instead of a rubber bushing.
Also, it eliminates bind at the mount through jounce and rebound.
Sponsored