Sponsored

Big Turbo Options

Djmike408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Hey Ecostangs

I need some feedback and help on which turbo kit I can get with only having 91 pump gas available. I have a 2015 mustang Ecoboost with full bolt-ons on 91 pump gas making 305WHP and 358WTQ on a Mustang Dynometer. if you can share some dyno numbers that would be awesome. BTW I will need a turbo kit that is daily driven friendly lol.:ford:
Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
As of right now the VVT stage 2 is your best drop in bet. Otherwise you could spring for a nice BW EFR setup which is good for power and similar if not better spooling, at a little higher price due to the adapter needed, and other install parts.

Considering your running a downpipe already that mates to your stock unit, the Vargas stage two is your best bet you already have your other bolt ons covered that are needed to make the best use of the new turbo anyway. Drop in that turbo, change your oil to full synthetic race oil like Valvoline VR1 and you are good to go. Get Adam at tune+ to tune it...

OP
OP
Djmike408

Djmike408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Thanks [MENTION=17260]5.0yote[/MENTION] I was looking into the BW EFR just becuz that turbo pops out more then the Vargas stage 2 and it I've seen some good numbers around 500whp. Now if I do upgrade turbo I'm guessing u will also have to upgrade the internals as well correct?

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
Anything over 400whp you are dancing with the devil. However to get there you will need external fueling.

Sponsored

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In order to break around 390WHP/390WTQ you will need more fuel, more octane. You can certainly go anywhere on the stock internals but from my understanding 400 is around the limit where you will be on borrowed time to my understanding, but who knows. People have blown these motors near stock levels depending on build date and location, and others like mine have run hundreds of pulls near the 400 mark. Lund and Livernois told me 400WT is around as much as you want to go on a stock turbo max. With the upgraded twinscrolls it was told to me was different because the same torque is at a lower RPM so that means moving that torque curve down is actually worse.

Rods, pistons, wrist pins etc. would be a good idea I think. You will not need to sleeve the block if you are not shooting for greater than 500.

Either way some sort of race gas will be needed to get to 400, so if its e30 you will need aux fuel setup, or just race gas. I was just running WMI on my setup and it was ok. I am going with a drop in VVT stage2 and keeping it simple. If I can get the power I had with my 5862 Precision but at stock spool that is what I am looking for. =)

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
In order to break around 390WHP/390WTQ you will need more fuel, more octane. You can certainly go anywhere on the stock internals but from my understanding 400 is around the limit where you will be on borrowed time to my understanding, but who knows. People have blown these motors near stock levels depending on build date and location, and others like mine have run hundreds of pulls near the 400 mark. Lund and Livernois told me 400WT is around as much as you want to go on a stock turbo max. With the upgraded twinscrolls it was told to me was different because the same torque is at a lower RPM so that means moving that torque curve down is actually worse.

Rods, pistons, wrist pins etc. would be a good idea I think. You will not need to sleeve the block if you are not shooting for greater than 500.

Either way some sort of race gas will be needed to get to 400, so if its e30 you will need aux fuel setup, or just race gas. I was just running WMI on my setup and it was ok. I am going with a drop in VVT stage2 and keeping it simple. If I can get the power I had with my 5862 Precision but at stock spool that is what I am looking for. =)
Sounds like a great setup. Be sure to post videos. I hardly see any of the Vargas stage two videos. You would think there would be lots of cars with the set up and recording it. Maybe it's too early.?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'm probably gonna sell my VS2 soon and pick up a VS2+ or go with a BW kit. Either way, if someone is looking, I'll probably let it go for $1,500 or so.

OP
OP
Djmike408

Djmike408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
[MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] how is the VS2 Turbo? Pros and cons?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] how is the VS2 Turbo? Pros and cons?
Imagine the spool of the stock turbo with a top end that keeps pulling. That's the VS2 in a nutsell. It has great response and drivability. It doesn't feel like it's a larger turbo until you get into the upper rpms and it keeps going and going. It would absolutely be the best turbo on the market for stock to mild builds where cost is a consideration. BW makes the best street turbos out there (IMO), but the entry cost of $5k-$6k versus $2.2k doesn't warrant the extra money to me if you're not going to shoot for the moon with hp numbers. Plus, the VS2 allows you to use stock fitment parts, which means you can use the downpipe, charge pipes, etc that you already have. That's big to me.

As far as cons, there really isn't any. I'm only upgrading because I want bigger numbers, 600'ish, than the VS2 would be optimal for.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Juben, did you run the quarter mile with the VS2. If so, what was the time?

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine the spool of the stock turbo with a top end that keeps pulling. That's the VS2 in a nutsell. It has great response and drivability. It doesn't feel like it's a larger turbo until you get into the upper rpms and it keeps going and going. It would absolutely be the best turbo on the market for stock to mild builds where cost is a consideration. BW makes the best street turbos out there (IMO), but the entry cost of $5k-$6k versus $2.2k doesn't warrant the extra money to me if you're not going to shoot for the moon with hp numbers. Plus, the VS2 allows you to use stock fitment parts, which means you can use the downpipe, charge pipes, etc that you already have. That's big to me.

As far as cons, there really isn't any. I'm only upgrading because I want bigger numbers, 600'ish, than this turbo would be optimal for.
Well thats the thing, the VVT is for stock like spool up to about 500 with supporting mods, the VVT stage 2+ is like my precision 5862 with stock spooling capable of 600+. If you have not reached 500WHP yet then I am not sure why you would want to upgrade, unless you plan on forging.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Well thats the thing, the VVT is for stock like spool up to about 500 with supporting mods, the VVT stage 2+ is like my precision 5862 with stock spooling capable of 600+. If you have not reached 500WHP yet then I am not sure why you would want to upgrade, unless you plan on forging.
Well, I said I was going for bigger numbers than this turbo would support. Lol It's an absolutely great turbo. And if I wasn't wanting to do more with the car, I wouldn't even think about selling it.

VargasTurboTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo everything
For people wanting to compare the BW EFR with our units. This is our stage 2 TS, VS a BW EFR 7163 which is their best spooling unit. The Stage 2 not only spools slightly better, it holds much more power up top. Once you go bigger than a 7163, spool is going to suffer quite a bit. You will also be spending at least double the money on an EFR kit. Honestly our turbos value for performance cannot be matched on the market...
TS vs EFR Uncorrected.jpg

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I am super happy with my VS2 on 91 octane. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend the turbo to anyone looking to upgrade.

Even if the BW kits were in the same ballpark on pricing I would pick the VS2 because all the parts I already have bolt right up like stock.
Sponsored