Sponsored

Big Turbo Eco Modding

Motobrat95

Threads
Reaction score
Coming from the Genesis community, Modding is a very popular thing. You have your stage 1, stage 2, and stage 3 being some of the common references of how modded you are.

Well to get to the point the 2.0 in the genesis world isnt the strongest thing out there, but a stage 3 (full bolt ons and turbo swap) using a Gt30 (22-22psi) or similar will pump out a safe 380-400Whp and 300-310Wtq (low torque to save internals) on stock fuel system .

Not knowing much about the ecoboost world, Im assuming they are a well built motor and if i understand the 2.3 has some strong internals such as forged crankshaft and rods. If Hyundais can pump out those good of numbers with a simple swap, I see no reason why the eco2.3 with more displacement and better internals cant see 400+whp on a simple gt30 swap safely.

I know the manifold is integrated into the block, but a simple adapter plate or pipe should fix that. Ive also read about a few 2.0eco ??? fusions pumping out 400whp on a turbo swap... Just something to think about, what are your thoughts ?
Sponsored

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
I dunno what to tell you guy... I've been straight Mustang all my life... Never cared much about the 4 cylinder scene.. I imagine responses will be pretty close to that though if they're mostly v8 fanatics

jlmoya88

Fucking A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Gray Premium Ecoboost
Coming from the Genesis community, Modding is a very popular thing. You have your stage 1, stage 2, and stage 3 being some of the common references of how modded you are.

Well to get to the point the 2.0 in the genesis world isnt the strongest thing out there, but a stage 3 (full bolt ons and turbo swap) using a Gt30 (22-22psi) or similar will pump out a safe 380-400Whp and 300-310Wtq (low torque to save internals) on stock fuel system .

Not knowing much about the ecoboost world, Im assuming they are a well built motor and if i understand the 2.3 has some strong internals such as forged crankshaft and rods. If Hyundais can pump out those good of numbers with a simple swap, I see no reason why the eco2.3 with more displacement and better internals cant see 400+whp on a simple gt30 swap safely.

I know the manifold is integrated into the block, but a simple adapter plate or pipe should fix that. Ive also read about a few 2.0eco ??? fusions pumping out 400whp on a turbo swap... Just something to think about, what are your thoughts ?

Im very excited about tunes. I currently have a stage 2 GTi. Tunes bring these stock turbos to life. I am really hoping with bolt ons and bigger turbo they will make GT numbers. To be honest I would just be looking to possibly doing full bolt ons and a tune with the new mustang. My stage 2 GTi was not the fastest but it sure was fun I imagine the new mustang being better with that being said I will not be looking for big numbers just a fun car which I'm sure can easily be achieved even with bolt ons and a tune.

Michlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost premium, Guard, 20" wheels
I dunno what to tell you guy... I've been straight Mustang all my life... Never cared much about the 4 cylinder scene.. I imagine responses will be pretty close to that though if they're mostly v8 fanatics
Why come to the ecoboost subforum and open a thread about ecoboost modding, only to reply that you don't care about the ecoboost and that everyone will feel the same way. Amazing. :crazy:

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Why come to the ecoboost subforum and open a thread about ecoboost modding, only to reply that you don't care about the ecoboost and that everyone will feel the same way. Amazing. :crazy:
You know @Michlaw, I am not wondering at all in this forum anymore. I mean there are RULES posted ,but every V8 guy comes against the EcoBoost without any warnings from the MODS here.
I am registered in a couple of forums from gaming to cars. But something like here, I have never seen. "V8...V8 ...V8" nothing else.

I am now 9 years in North America. Got now my 5th new car but where ever I go, Dodge, Jeep, Ford, Mercedes, VW I am getting always the same input from the sales managers. "North American buyers do not ask a lot of details before they sign a contract. The only questions are: "V8?" and how much they have to pay per month." With that said, I am not wondering that these same guys signing a finance contract with 29.9% interest to get a V8.

So asking in a Mustang forum a question what has NOTHING to do with a V8 is already a bad thing to do. Before the EcoBoost bashing was the V6 bashing. Also that the RULES are saying: Bashing is NOT ok in this forum.
Sorry for the :threadjacked:!

Back to the topic:
It should be easier I thing to swap the TURBO on the EcoBoost Mustang. I am sure that the modifications are going a bit the same way like the companies doing with the Focus ST. It needs maybe 12 month until this things are ready for sell. Check out COBB here in the forum.

Sponsored

Ryudo83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard EB PP 6-speed
to the OP- there are a lot of factors on getting to the 400HP point. I would look at what they re doing with teh Focus ST as that motor is basically a smaller displacement of the ecoboost in the mustang. but looking at the recent dyno graphs and gains from tunes etc i think it would be fairly easy with a turbo swap to hit that number. Not sure on supporting mods though such as fuel, cooling etc.

Ryudo83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard EB PP 6-speed
I dunno what to tell you guy... I've been straight Mustang all my life... Never cared much about the 4 cylinder scene so i dont know what im talking about and i imagine other people that are all V* will say the same thing. I just like to rock the boat instead of provide any usefull insight

there fixed that for ya. doesnt it feel better to say what you really want to say.:thumbsup:

OP
OP

Motobrat95

Threads
Reaction score
Will be trading in my 13 gencoupe this month, and I had already decided I was going to pick up a gt, but got to thinking about how easy a turbo swap SHOULD be and reaching 380whp+ safely should be with ease. And being quiet a few pounds lighter then the gt, I can't see it really having a chance.. AND you get all the cool turbo sounds. AND you'll still retain pretty good mpg. AND you'll get a super fun TQ curve. I mean I think it's really going to hurt some v8 feelings that's aren't forced inductioned.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
he did not start a thread or open anything, just made a comment.. like you.

read learn. then post..

beers

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
i would not worry about big turbo right now.

have to find out what makes this stuff work well, and what is slowing it down..

right now my guess is it is being slowed down by downpipe and exhaust. and my guess is more exhaust..

so few of the cars are out right now. maybe wait and learn. or you could buy one and answer all the questions for us..

beers

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
It's looking like you might be able to hit 360 whp just on the stock turbo. Just with a tune, nothing else, we're hitting 310 on the stock turbo. With an intercooler upgrade (heat soak has been the biggest issue seen so far), intake, and a downpipe/exhaust system I could see it getting to around 360 whp with a good tune. A turbo swap with everything I just mentioned, should hit around 440whp.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
I'm sure there will some bolt-on turbo options but I'm not sure how long it will take or how much it's needed. The turbo on the Genesis was slightly undersized and shared some common elements with other cars.
I think the initial tunes will show the capabilities and the risk/reward of a new turbo setup.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I'm sure there will some bolt-on turbo options but I'm not sure how long it will take or how much it's needed. The turbo on the Genesis was slightly undersized and shared some common elements with other cars.
I think the initial tunes will show the capabilities and the risk/reward of a new turbo setup.
WMS and Cobb are getting into the tuning, and are showing some good results just a week or two in. I'd take a look into those threads.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
WMS and Cobb are getting into the tuning, and are showing some good results just a week or two in. I'd take a look into those threads.
I understand that and I have been following them. My post was basically saying to wait and see before looking at bolt-on options.

OP
OP

Motobrat95

Threads
Reaction score
Well I know everyone is worried about getting the most out of what they can with factory turbo and bolt ons.... With me, bolt ons is a givin and will be done no matter what. So full exhaust and intake will be done asap. Building the eco to take out gt's is a goal for a lot of people. Haha focus st's are pushing 340-399+ on turbo swap safely. We can do it as well. This car will be crazy fun.
Sponsored