Sponsored

Big move by GM out of gas/diesel cars/suvs - wonder what Ford's response will be?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm too tired to get deep into atmospheric science, so you're getting the short version. The impact they have can't be seen with the naked eye. "Smog" isn't what leads to global change. It's the aggregate CO² that goes into the atmosphere and does circulate globally. They dump twice as much into the air as we do. Our numbers are trailing off/slightly down trending. Their numbers are only going up as their economy grows.
To be fair, China handles the world's manufacturing. If we didn't buy all our shit from there, the pollution wouldn't be nearly what it is. Their production of C02 is mostly our fault regardless.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
and EVs are not free, why? Mining this stuff ain't free and in case you didn't notice we (USA) hasn't built a power plant in how many decades? Calirfornia imports some ungodly amount of it's juice from neighbors, etc. Remember the blackouts and power disruptions we get that wipe a few million people off the grid every single year for a week or weeks at a stretch? Sure, we're ready for Electric everything... You first.
EVs aren't free? What? Who said they were free? I have no idea what you're trying to say...

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Last edited:

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You missed the joke part above

But if we want to be serious..it plays into the "every little bit counts" argument.
Well my point was, as that article was getting at, volcanoes are actually pretty much neutral (if not negative) in terms of their impact on global warming. They release some greenhouse gases, but they also release particles that basically shade the earth and cool us more directly, and that more than offsets the gases.

... But anyway, yes, every little bit counts.

Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Can you touch on the dolly where Trump hurt you? :cwl:

1612282377146.png

Honestly, Ford is making the Mach-E, the hybrid F-150 that can be it's own generator on a construction site is coming out and soon enough hybrid or electric cars are going to be available in every model.

Now, where all this extra electricity comes from is a mystery at the moment. There are 273 million registered cars in the country. Replacing them with electric cars and trucks will require billions of kilowatts. Then there is the new president's demand for electric trains adding to the demand.

Currently, 65% of the nation's power comes from coal and natural gas. Wind and solar are not reliable forms of power. Why? Because the sun doesn't shine at night and the wind doesn't blow during the hottest and coldest times.

The wind is highest in places people do not live, so hundreds of thousands of miles of new transmission lines will need to be built and millions of acres of land turned into eye sores. An average wind turbine is about 3MW, the average natural gas powerplant is 850MW. So 300 wind turbines make one powerplant. 2,500 wind turbines replace Grand Coulee dam. Once you add 20-30,000 wind turbines to the landscape, They will require millions of gallons of gear oil and transmission fluid to operate and leak it by the ton into the soil. They will kill millions of birds a year, raise soil temperatures, change rain patterns and increase rodent and insect infestations in crop land. It will take a decade or two to see the real impacts, probably longer since greenies deny these things happen.

So in the green future, expect to pay lots more for gas, far more per kilowatt than you currently pay and to pay per mile for the privilege of driving on the king's streets and roads. Expect your travel to be monitored with approval required by the state and to get tickets debited from your checking account without due process because your car is "connected".

Good news, the future isn't so bright you gotta wear shades. The future is a 20W bulb and sitting in the dark playing on the computer, alone..................................wearing a mask, so you do not get yourself sick from yet another form of corona virus. hahahahaha

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The wind is highest in places people do not live, so hundreds of thousands of miles of new transmission lines will need to be built and millions of acres of land turned into eye sores. An average wind turbine is about 3MW, the average natural gas powerplant is 850MW. So 300 wind turbines make one powerplant. 2,500 wind turbines replace Grand Coulee dam. Once you add 20-30,000 wind turbines to the landscape, They will require millions of gallons of gear oil and transmission fluid to operate and leak it by the ton into the soil. They will kill millions of birds a year, raise soil temperatures, change rain patterns and increase rodent and insect infestations in crop land. It will take a decade or two to see the real impacts, probably longer since greenies deny these things happen.
There is more than a little truth here.

My mother and her siblings own a sizeable chunk of prime farm land here in southern MN where it's nice and flat, which was my grandparents' farm. Currently they rent the use of the land to a rich farmer in the area, but entertained the installation of a wind farm at one point.

Their due diligence revealed that these turbine farms are far from green. Each turbine spews atomized oil into the surrounding air to the tune of about 40-50 gallons per year. So much for that prime soil after a while. Once each is spent and/or obsolete, the giant fiberglass blades end up crushed and in a landfill. And when it's all said and done, the remaining gigantic concrete footing becomes the land owner's baby.

Personally, after hearing firsthand about the cons of the turbines, I don't think wind is the answer to our energy woes.....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That's why they work better offshore. Also, got a source for this atomized oil figure?
I do not. My uncle relayed the information provided by the lawyers involved. It sounded like the oil thing wasn't as pronounced to start, but as the turbine ages the situation gets worse.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Perhaps....the rest of the downsides apply, however.

I'm not convinced they are the way to go inland unless the land is otherwise unusable. It would have been interesting to have been present for the meetings, there may have been concrete info presented.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
right but again at what cost and what ACTUAL problem are "we" trying to address? There isn't a problem so all of this is MASSIVE mis-allocation of resources. How about we worry about bringing food, water and economic opportunity to the billions who still live in abject poverty and squalor? Whose lives and houses still haven't been replaced 10 years after a volcano wiped out their livelihood? There are important and pressing problems and there are "that's nice" problems.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
That's why those giant solar arrays out in the desert are great. Another potential is to use aging EV batteries for grid storage. Not a 100%, but the best way to deal with the issue all these battery packs are going to cause if EV's become more widespread. Now if only we could stop strip-mining for rare earth metals...

Why would a worn out battery from an EV that will not hold a charge be useful for "grid storage"?

Why do you think nothing lives in deserts? Are you under the impression that giant solar arrays do not impact the flora and fauna of the desert?

The fastest way to encourage the end to mining "rare earth metals" is for you to stop using electronics, especially computers and the internet.

Can You Make a Wind Turbine Without Fossil Fuels? | Energy Central

The answer is "NO".

Do wind turbines leak and atomize oils and lubricants, absolutely. The only people who refuse to believe it are Biden voters. Try "google" sometime or ask someone who works on them for a living. I know a guy who has worked on them for more than a decade and according to him, he has never seen one that wasn't leaking oils and lubricants by the gallons. His crew maintains more than 200 of them.

I'm sure they are all, "faulty installs" right? :idea: The one thing we can be 100% certain of is that no matter the facts presented you won't believe them.

No worries champ, Germany expects electric prices to increase 400-500% as a minimum when they get to the all green grid. I'm sure it will be far cheaper here.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Marty McFly was using nuclear energy in his cars back in the 80's. Hard to believe it never caught on.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Why would a worn out battery from an EV that will not hold a charge be useful for "grid storage"?

Why do you think nothing lives in deserts? Are you under the impression that giant solar arrays do not impact the flora and fauna of the desert?

The fastest way to encourage the end to mining "rare earth metals" is for you to stop using electronics, especially computers and the internet.

Can You Make a Wind Turbine Without Fossil Fuels? | Energy Central

The answer is "NO".

Do wind turbines leak and atomize oils and lubricants, absolutely. The only people who refuse to believe it are Biden voters. Try "google" sometime or ask someone who works on them for a living. I know a guy who has worked on them for more than a decade and according to him, he has never seen one that wasn't leaking oils and lubricants by the gallons. His crew maintains more than 200 of them.

I'm sure they are all, "faulty installs" right? :idea: The one thing we can be 100% certain of is that no matter the facts presented you won't believe them.

No worries champ, Germany expects electric prices to increase 400-500% as a minimum when they get to the all green grid. I'm sure it will be far cheaper here.
This is a must see for anyone interested in energy and the environment.
Sponsored