Sponsored

Big move by GM out of gas/diesel cars/suvs - wonder what Ford's response will be?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This - I got to drive Model P85 (don't think it was D-one and certainly not P100). It was incredible.
Yep, it's pretty nuts. Tesla just updated the Model S, some exterior revisions (wider fenders, etc., ), big changes to the interior, new battery/powertrain options, the LR is now 0-60 ~3.1s with a 412 mile range, the new performance "Plaid" models are 0-60 ~2s, 200MPH hour top speed and 390 or 520+ miles on the Plaid+ (the new body design is pretty slippery with a drag coefficient of 0.208).

I'm pretty sure we're going EV this year on one of our cars, probably a Model 3 Performance, the new improved '21 model.
Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
they are gonna be made by oil drillers and pipeline workers. lol and of course the cost of electricity will probably double or triple!
Most
It's 2021, and people are still trying to make this tired, baseless argument?
well with all the coal plants shut down and solar and wind will not fill the gap. Oh and let’s not forget the devil and nuclear power which only one plant under construction in the county and none on the horizon. I just don’t see it. All that lithium is in underdeveloped counties with child labor in rags mining it for pennies a day and corrupt government running mining operations. I think folks driving around in electric vehicals feeling superior to inferior folks need to really understand what’s going on.

Dtmlloyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 2500 high country
One very big problem is batteries don’t last in extreme temperatures? What about fire Trucks ? Sorry can’t come but out your fire my truck still charging it’s battery? Ambulance sorry going to have shut down the life saving equipment because battery is to low?

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
One very big problem is batteries don’t last in extreme temperatures? What about fire Trucks ? Sorry can’t come but out your fire my truck still charging it’s battery? Ambulance sorry going to have shut down the life saving equipment because battery is to low?
Backup generators run on gas or diesel to save the day. The change isn't going to happen overnight. Emergency services will still have all their dino powered vehicles. What will be super fun is if it does work out and we're all powered by forms of electricity and then someone lets off an EMP of sorts or whatever else may kill all the batteries.

Just wait till we're flying in electric passenger planes. Crazy!

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
It's 2021, and people are still trying to make this tired, baseless argument?

Not entirely baseless, barring new technology, It will be curious if Biden will relax environmental regulations and allow open pit mining in the US for the massive amounts of lithium needed to make lithium batteries ...

Or will we still be sucking on the Chinese and Russian knobber's for our resources ...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What the hay it's not like they have not been bankrupt before .

Too big to fail and all that crap, as the stock holders took it in the shorts.

That BTW was straw that broke my camel's back.

Ford at the same time was was like 5$ a share. But to their credit, they stayed in the game.

Hind sight, blue oval was the better deal and still is today, and now I know better.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Not entirely baseless, barring new technology, It will be curious if Biden will relax environmental regulations and allow open pit mining in the US for the massive amounts of lithium needed to make lithium batteries ...

Or will we still be sucking on the Chinese and Russian knobber's for our resources ...
Most

well with all the coal plants shut down and solar and wind will not fill the gap. Oh and let’s not forget the devil and nuclear power which only one plant under construction in the county and none on the horizon. I just don’t see it. All that lithium is in underdeveloped counties with child labor in rags mining it for pennies a day and corrupt government running mining operations. I think folks driving around in electric vehicals feeling superior to inferior folks need to really understand what’s going on.
Even gas power plants are far more efficient at producing electrical energy from gasoline than ICE car engines are at producing kinetic energy from it, and they release less carbon emissions per unit of energy. Let alone the contributions from clean energy. But yes, we should be producing more nuclear power as well. Battery production is a problem, but overblown and not remotely as important as cutting down greenhouse emissions.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I love the comment, "Blue smoke and mirrors".

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Don't forget about our addiction to cheap, readily available goods from online vendors. The long haul trucking and rail that allow for this run on diesel. The bulk of transportation GHG's are from shipping, not passenger cars.
Slightly off topic but people don’t realize a locomotive can get over 400 mpgs of diesel.

Sponsored

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
The auto industry has reached an inflection point for mass adoption of electric vehicles. The need to reduce CO2 emissions combined with the improving economics of electric vehicles are leading all major manufacturers to pour billions of dollars into electric vehicle development. The economics of operating battery EV’s has been steadily improving as battery costs decline, and range improves. As a consequence consumer adoption of electric vehicles has been steadily growing and will continue as more models are introduced every year.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
If you're really worried about GHG's, start growing ALL your own food. Stop ordering factory made products of any kind, and stop using electricity/heating your home. Here's a nice breakdown from the EPA. Note, the bulk of that little transportation slice is shipping, not passenger cars. Cutting out the emissions from cars and shifting it to more efficient power stations won't offset all the shit you buy on Amazon every month. Shit that is made in China (using a lot of coal power), gets here on diesel cargo ships, then travels by diesel trains/trucks.

EV's are PART of the future, but not the be-all-end-all. Glossing over the logistical and infrastructural realities doesn't make them go away.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. People overblow the impact that cars have on emissions and energy use, but they are still significant. Lots of parts of our lives are problematic and don't get the attention they deserve. I think the next industry that's going to start getting a lot of heat is animal products, especially meat, and especially beef... moving towards a plant-based diet, not watering an ornamental lawn, and barely driving for work are a few of the ways I justify owning sports cars lol.

In general, first-world life is just way too unnecessarily wasteful and resource intensive, and cars are just one part of that... but it's still a part worth some attention.