Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I believe many people are missing the point that drilled rotors can be quite effective at reducing pad temperatures and gas build-up for a given average rotor temperature. More so, I believe, than slotted rotors. The downside is increased rotor wear and micro cracking. The reason you don't see them on race cars is race cars don't have to have effective brakes at a wide range of temperatures.
I've owned cars with drilled rotors from the factory. I didn't like them. They're noisy. Perhaps BMW puts them on for marketing purposes. I don't know. But I do know that for about the last 10 years or so ///M has stood for Marketing not Motorsport.
As far as Mustangs go, I don't see any advantage to drilled rotors other than aesthetics if you're into that. They are not going to crack at street use temperatures or most light duty track temperatures.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I've owned cars with drilled rotors from the factory. I didn't like them. They're noisy. Perhaps BMW puts them on for marketing purposes. I don't know.
While I agree that //M is more of a marketing thing that a race thing, I think the real //M cars are still a step above the other BMWs with //M Sport packages slapped on them. I work with a guy who has a hybrid 425i with the //M Performance package, and I still can't figure that out.

As far as drilled and slotted rotors being loud, amen to that. My last BMW had cross drilled and slotted EBC rotors and EBC Yellow Stuff pads, and I loved the sound off the brakes when I got in them. It was like driving a race car all the time.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I believe many people are missing the point that drilled rotors can be quite effective at reducing pad temperatures and gas build-up for a given average rotor temperature.
Out-gassing really isn't an issue with modern pads. Whatever gain we find in cooling comes at the expense of greater peak temps & larger temp swings due to reduced mass/thermal inertia. The increase in both pad and disc wear is a very real thing. I have seen 'cross-drilled' discs where the holes are just minor divots that are not through holes. I think those are a good alternative.

But I do agree that it looks cool.

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Not for a Mustang, but my new front rotors.

20220114_160347.jpg

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Updated FYI regarding Powerstop.

PowerStop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Rotor, Pad and Caliper Kits actually are a rear application only on S550.

Powerstop only makes rear calipers for S550. they offer the nickel coated style that is on base S550 and a Red powder coated version.

I somehow got lucky and found the Z23 red version rotor/pad/caliper kit brand new for like $130 (probably someone messed up with pricing since only 2 were left in stock and once they realized the mistake, they tacked the loss onto the price of the last one in stock.

The calipers are already powder coated red and I wanted to match the reman Bullitt calipers I found as a pair for $500~ on rockauto) and save on having to repaint my rears again and I was due for new rotors/pads anyway. it did come with the correct rear rotors, pads, and the reman rear calipers powder coated red. the powder coat was nice and thick hiding the original rear caliper texturing. It gave the calipers a smooth side appearance. I recently looked at a Mach 1 with orange calipers on the lot and saw the rears and it had a much thinner application and the rough texturing still showed like the black mach 1 and PP rear calipers that I have seen in person.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 174616.jpg

I put the Bullitt calipers next to the powerstop calipers and the color match was spot on. The calipers come already fully set up, no need to get a rebuild kit or connect the brackets.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 174706.jpg

Just an idea for anyone who wants to get Bullitt fronts and save money skipping the Bullitt factory rear red calipers/brackets. powerstop does sell the red caliper pair standalone as part S15030

I like Z23 and now have brembo compatible Z23 rotors and pads in the front as well so I got this kit at a good deal to get rebuilt rears that are already red and also including matching powerstop rotors style/ z23 pads

Last edited:

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
I upgraded my stock GT 4 pots to the Brembo 6 piston calipers. Painted them red and put a new decal on. I use Hawk brake pads and Stop Tech cross drilled rotors (for looks). I'd 100% recommend this type of swap over your original choices.
Sponsored