Sponsored

Better to buy brand new 2021 built to my specification or to buy a leftover 20 that has close specifications?

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Rather than wait months for a new 21 I have located several 20 leftovers built in October. Any quality control or build issues around October of last year or good to go?
Sponsored

lostwon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z51 7 Speed
Mike,

Do your homework, if you care enough. It's all here. Search is your friend.
Brake pedal recall is the most serious; make sure that's been resolved, it applied to some late 2020 models.
Other than that, the fuel range is awful. That might cause you more irritation than most quality problems in the long run...
Most complaints about no manual tranny are tongue in cheek. Dual clutch is way better than what you have.
That's my take from reading most of the forum. I, too, have been patiently waiting for a long time to buy a GT 500. Just don't cave in for the lowest price you find, and don't pay ADM, either. Go East. Anything out West is still overpriced. It's still just a Mustang.
Your present ride sounds like a better value, by the way.

Good luck and good hunting.
Best Regards.
John

Last edited:

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
Mike here is my 2 cents.
I was looking to swap my 2013 Boss 302 originally for a GT350R then ultimately for a GT500. Looked into ordering a 2021. Big waiting time and no dealer I found in the SF Bay Area would take my order. Then looked into 2020 left overs on the lot. Many dealers still wanted north of ~$90K for the car I wanted (Twister, Sport Seats, Black Roof, No stripes, Tech, Carbon Dash). I finally found a used on with 494 miles and bought it!

If you can find a car that has all you want then I say buy it now. Life is short who knows what happens in the MONTHS while you are waiting. (at least that was my thought process)

The Dual Clutch Auto seemed weird to me at first coming from a stick. After two days I can't imagine ever going back to the manual. Lighting fast shifts, rev matching down shifts, its just way cool.

The only debate I had with myself was Recaros vs Sport seats. The Recaros in the Boss were OK for spirited driving, but not great on longer trip. No lumbar and manual adjustment getting in adn out of the car. I'm vertically challenged so I need to sit closer to the pedals and would have to push the seat back to get out and pull it forward once in. The Sport seats are way more comfortable and VENTED! Very nice.

Good luck on your search . . .

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
With delays in 2021 production due to chip shortages, I would take the bird in hand personally.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for all the good words and advice I am planning to pick up a 20 on Tuesday or Wednesday next week with exactly the options that I want so happy to join the GT500 crowd as it has been a car I have wanted for a while

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
JMO, but it's always better to order and get exactly what you want. This is the 1st one I've bought off the lot since I bought my 2009 GT500. I wish I'd been more patient and waited for an open allocation.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
JMO, but it's always better to order and get exactly what you want. This is the 1st one I've bought off the lot since I bought my 2009 GT500. I wish I'd been more patient and waited for an open allocation.
Colleton: What would be changed if you had a chance to order the mustang instead ?

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Colleton: What would be changed if you had a chance to order the mustang instead ?
I would have gotten the CF dash, the Handling Pack, Rapid Red and no stripes. If I'd waited until the '21 MY, I'd probably have ordered the CFHP. Hard to pass on the CF wheels at that price.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
There aren't that many options on this car that justify waiting for an order. I wish there were but that kind of makes it easier as long as you can accept whatever exterior color is available. I bought a dealer ordered one that was close to what I would've ordered anyway. All that was missing is the carbon dash.

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
I was in the same boat! I would have picked up a 20 but I searched within 500 miles and couldn't find one to my spec. So I ordered 21 when banks opened. If u can find one EXACTLY how u want then grab it and avoid the wait. But if not, it's a lot of money to spend for something thats just CLOSE to what you want. Now if you were getting some great deal that's different, but we all know that's not happening on any of the GT500's anytime soon!

Another factor is if you plan to keep the car long term or not. If you plan to keep it a few years and move on then I could see maybe settling. But if it's a long term keeper, most definitely would want it to check every box! Just my .02. Good luck and congrats either way!

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Can't say this clear enough as I've been there tons of times.

Get what you want or you'll always wonder, "what if"?
Sponsored