Sponsored

Better street tire than Michelin PS4S??? M/T Street Comp???

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Time for a new set of tires. I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade to the Michelin PS4S that come standard on the PP1.

My main/only concerns in order of most to least important are;

Hooking up on the street.
Maneuverability/Handling
Tire life

I've started looking into the Mickey Thompson series and I see they have a Street Competition tire. Does anybody have experience with these in comparison to the PS4S?

Anybody know of other street tires with better performance than the PS4S?

I'm not much concerned with price at all, and I would like to keep the same 255 front / 275 rear.

I've heard the benefits of going a wider tire is not as big of a difference as getting a better tire. Anybody care to chime in with experience of going from a narrow to wider tire of the same brand (if you have experience doing so with the PS4S please share)? Every time I see somebody mention going to a wider tire they also mention going to a different tire completely
Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
the PS4S is generally the top tire for street performance. If you want something that you can dead hook on, look into a toyo R888

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hooking or not is a function of compound and temp. Run the PS4S on low enough PSI and put some real heat into the tire before you try any shenanigans. A 'sticky' tire by definition is trading off longevity. Also the stickier the tire generally the narrower (and higher) the 'working' temp is and it won't hook up at all if it's too cold.

So ask for the optimum temperature range for all tires under consideration and then figure out which one is more realistic. The problem with the PS4S is the new, purchase price. This afternoon I put Cup2 on the rear (37psi cold) and then promptly spent an hour picking up every damn piece of gravel in Faquier and Loudoun county, followed by another hour of torrential rain. Needless to say, putzing around town and then flooring it in a display of "Mustang driver" wasn't in the cards.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Time for a new set of tires. I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade to the Michelin PS4S that come standard on the PP1.

My main/only concerns in order of most to least important are;

Hooking up on the street.
Maneuverability/Handling
Tire life

I've started looking into the Mickey Thompson series and I see they have a Street Competition tire. Does anybody have experience with these in comparison to the PS4S?

Anybody know of other street tires with better performance than the PS4S?

I'm not much concerned with price at all, and I would like to keep the same 255 front / 275 rear.

I've heard the benefits of going a wider tire is not as big of a difference as getting a better tire. Anybody care to chime in with experience of going from a narrow to wider tire of the same brand (if you have experience doing so with the PS4S please share)? Every time I see somebody mention going to a wider tire they also mention going to a different tire completely
Good luck. The PS4S's are awesome.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hankook RS4, Bridgestone RE71R and both sticker than the MP4S, but they’re “extreme” performance summer tires and won’t last as long, nor tolerate standing water as well when worn. They’ll also ride harsher and be more noisy.

RE71Rs handling is a thing of beuaty, but of course you have to be pushing >1g to notice (MP4S will do at least that much) and that’s mot really a game most people can play on public streets.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The 4S are great tires. I also like the Mickey Street Comps. I've only had them on the Mustang so no back to back comparison on the same car. Both will have trouble hooking if you are heavy on the pedal. Keep in mind super long tire life and great traction do not normally go hand in hand. Both of these tires are really decent in tread life though.

You've heard the old saying pick two of the three but you can't have all three....that's almost the situation you have described.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Hankook RS4, Bridgestone RE71R and both sticker than the MP4S, but they’re “extreme” performance summer tires and won’t last as long, nor tolerate standing water as well when worn. They’ll also ride harsher and be more noisy.

RE71Rs handling is a thing of beuaty, but of course you have to be pushing >1g to notice (MP4S will do at least that much) and that’s mot really a game most people can play on public streets.
Amen. After finally getting to experience the RE71R on a racetrack, it is a thing of beauty. I never knew it could be this big an upgrade.
I can still "play" a little on streets but that's only because the tires are not up to temp. The level on the racetrack is far above.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Amen. After finally getting to experience the RE71R on a racetrack, it is a thing of beauty. I never knew it could be this big an upgrade.
I can still "play" a little on streets but that's only because the tires are not up to temp. The level on the racetrack is far above.
how are you getting them up to temp if all you get is 3/4 of a lap and then sit for 20+ minutes?

Sponsored

Alponcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium
I run factory Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 on my ZL1 during summer months, super sticky, but not good in the rain or below 40 degrees. It doesn't get really cold here in the valley, but as soon as the temps start dipping in late November, I switch them out for a set of PS4S (factory sizes). Much better in the rain and cold--longer tread life, quieter. Not as grippy for sure, especially when they're hot, but a terrific all around summer tire. I just bought new rears in fact, fronts have been on national backorder for months.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I run factory Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 on my ZL1 during summer months, super sticky, but not good in the rain or below 40 degrees. It doesn't get really cold here in the valley, but as soon as the temps start dipping in late November, I switch them out for a set of PS4S (factory sizes). Much better in the rain and cold--longer tread life, quieter. Not as grippy for sure, especially when they're hot, but a terrific all around summer tire. I just bought new rears in fact, fronts have been on national backorder for months.
Don't drive the Pilot Sport 4S in the 40 degree weather or below either. Both are performance summer tires. You should have another set of all seasons or something during those times. If the temperature is too cold, the tires can develop irreversible compound cracking.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
I have had both the ps4s and Mickey Thompson street comp tire. The ps4s hooks better and is a much more comfortable tire on long road trips.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
MP4S are already the best street tire you can get for a compromise between all those points.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its true, the forementioned Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 is indeed a good freakin tire and comes in some 19” sizes that work now. Yokohama A052 is reportedly up there with RE71R performance but I think is only 18” sizes currently? Sport Cup 2 Is what Ford uses on the GT350R and PP2 when they want better grip than the MP4S. Now SC2 is an a streetable ‘R’ track tire, but there are more in that category as well... Toyo and Nitto have solid older offerings, I’m not certain on their size ranges.
Sponsored