Sponsored

Better Deal For The Money: 2019 Base GT or 2020 Base EB HPP

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I vote GT on this one. The EB HPP is in GT price range already.

I understand buying an EB to save money. But to shell out the same cash for an Eco as a V8, to me, doesn't make sense.
It doesn't make sense for those who need v8 noise.

For all other, performance and handling are what they want... so the HPP is better suited. Make no mistake, a 93 octane tuned HPP is a better performer than the PP2. GT and HPP are the same price, so why would you leave better performance on the table, just for v8 vrroom?

HPP is a better performing Mustang than the GT, because it can easily have moAr torque than the GT and across more of the powerband.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You are 100% correct. That’s because common sense is not a factor many of us use in our decision to buy a GT. For me it was 100% emotional. I had an EB and loved it. But the GT lets me relive a time in my life that I’m very grateful for.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

For all other, performance and handling are what they want... so the HPP is better suited. Make no mistake, a 93 octane tuned HPP is a better performer than the PP2. GT and HPP are the same price, so why would you leave better performance on the table, just for v8 vrroom?

HPP is a better performing Mustang than the GT, because it can easily have moAr torque than the GT and across more of the powerband.
So, what you're telling me is it is smarter to buy a BRAND NEW, 2020 HPP and IMMEDIATELY go tune it, thus voiding the warranty which is likely a part of the reason for buying new anyway, set the car up to run premium gas only....thus defeating any sort of monetary savings that would show up running regular gas, and be happy?

I've read a lot of your posts and I can tell you should have your face on a poster promoting the EcoBoost, if you don't already.

Tune the GT to 93 so that we are apples to apples here, which is still stupid IMO because you are losing warranty there also, but the GT will be the better performer.

How many aftermarket power makers are there for the GT vs the EcoBoost?

Whippled GT > an EcoBoost with the entire Ford Performance Parts catalog thrown at it.

How this isn't getting through to you, I don't know.

For further proof:

Fastest EcoBoost Mustang in the World running 10.74@128mph on a fully built motor and 30psi boost

Mods:

Powertrain CPE provided built short block Camshafts: Stock EcoBoost 2.3-liter Cylinder Heads: Stock EcoBoost 2.3-liter Intake: Stock EcoBoost 2.3-liter Power Adder: Precision Turbo 55mm turbocharger on a CPE manifold w/ a JLT Performance CAI and a JPC custom air-to-water intercooler Fuel System: Stock w/ Aeromotive Cobra Jet pump in Aeromotive fuel cell w/ Watson Racing tie-down CPE secondary injectors Exhaust: Custom JPC Racing 3-inch exhaust w/ a Bassani muffler Transmission: Stock w/ Dynotech one-piece aluminum driveshaft and Watson Racing driveshaft safety loop Rearend: Stock IRS Super 8.8 w/ Ford Performance Racing Parts halfshafts, FPRP IRS bushings, FPRP Torsen differential, and FPRP 3.73 gears Electronics Engine Management: Stock TriCor PCM with Revolution custom tune via SCT Performance Livewire Ignition: Stock AEM Boost controller Front Suspension K-member: Watson Racing tubular w/ Watson Racing solid engine mounts A-arms: Watson Racing tubular Struts: Strange Engineering Springs: Strange Engineering Brakes: Aerospace Components w/ Watson Racing stainless steel brake lines Wheels: Race Star Tires: Mickey Thompson Rear Suspension Shocks: Strange Engineering Springs: Stock Brakes: Aerospace Components w/ Watson Racing stainless steel brake lines Wheels: Race Star Tires: Mickey Thompson

Steeda's N/A, motor untouched 2018 Mustang GT running the same time on a random cool day with minor suspension mods running a [email protected]

Mods: Steeda S550 Mustang Drag Springs, Steeda Mustang Drag Race Rear Sway Bar, Steeda S550 Mustang Rear IRS Subframe Support Braces, Steeda Pro Action Rear Shocks,Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System - Urethane, Steeda S550 Mustang Billet Rear Shock Mount - 12mm Rear Shocks, Steeda S550 Mustang Rear Lower Control Arm Spherical Bearings, Steeda S550 Mustang IRS Subframe Bushing Support System, Steeda S550 Mustang IRS Subframe Alignment Kit

Yeah, for performance, the EcoBoost makes much more sense.

this-guy-cant-5bd111.jpg

And just to seal the deal, let's touch the motor in the 5.0 JUST a little:

Whipple Supercharger's 2018 Mustang GT running [email protected] with the 3.0L kit.

Other mods: 91 Octane tune, 3.875 6-rib pulley, Hoosier slicks, BMR cradle lockout bushings, Driveshaft Shop 2000HP Series axles.

Last edited:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't follow this thread earlier this morning (I was on the can, and bored - what can I say) then it dawned on me - I had forgotten I had put that turbo king on ignore. LOL. God that feature is great.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
My $.02. Buy the 5.0 liter NA car. In a few years all that will be available new are small turbo engines and electric cars. And yes I do have an 86 SVO with a worked over 2.3 turbo with over 325 HP/Torque at the wheels. I didn't even START it this yr. Instead drove my new 5.0 liter over 5400 miles in 6 months!!

Sponsored

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I don’t think the guy will be racing either car. Honestly let this thread die already because he probably won’t end up buying either car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd get the GT or a used GT350 (used if money is an issue - new would be good too). Your friend should at least drive a GT350 if he hasn't yet.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
All power numbers for the 18+ cars (and even before that I believe, except for the V6) are based on 93 anyway so that's what you should be running in your car, whether it's an Ecoboost or GT.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
set the car up to run premium gas only.
not much point running a turbo engine on anything less. Running the 5.0 on 87/89 makes more sense ignoring the little fact that it's running a 12:1 compression ratio which necessitates high octane.

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
I will stick my owned mustangs list here:

2012 Boss 302 (bought used) - kept stock
2015 gt premium with performance pack + recaros (bought new) - kept stock (my only track day was in this one)
2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca (bought used) -kept stock
2017 EB performance pack (bought new, did not modify)
2018 EB (101a + performance pack) - full bolt ons, 331 whp

I've test driven a couple 18GT PP1 cars, and one 19 GT PP2 - the GT PP1 feels overly front heavy. The PP2 is a beast but sucks in traffic.

I will finish my thought by saying all mustangs are great, but they are all different. For daily driving and lots of sitting in traffic switching lanes, the EB will be a better choice than the GT.

For track days the HPP wins again if we are talknig about a base GT.

My favorite mustang, however, was my Boss 302 Laguna Seca. So my recommendation is choose one and if you don't like it wait a few years and choose another one. Or just get both.

Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
So is there a noticeable difference in your opinion between the 2018 EB PP cars and the 2019 EB HPP cars? Does the new engine and the extra horsepower make a noticeable driving difference? 2018 EB's with the PP are readily available, in base trim and with an automatic transmission, considerably less than a 2020 EB HPP. I have wondered if my co-worker likes the EB better, if he wouldn't be as happy with a 2019 EB PP, vice a 2020 EB HPP, and save at/around 5K.
Yes...there's a difference. I can't speak for cornering or track ability on either car but can tell you the EB I test drove and the GT are both more than enough for any same person on the street. When I test drove the EB I was like "holy bejesus this 4 cyl is ridiculous fast for a car this size" then I drove the GT and it was just on another level. So either way you're buddy is going to buy a car that's going to move rather quickly. I know the 18 GT I owned, since it was broke in, when I dropped the hammer would absolutely throw me back in the seat and raise the hood so high I could barely see the street and that was with 3.15 rear axle. My new 19 had 3.55 rear gears but only has around 660 miles on her so no driving crazy as of yet but I love the sound and tone of the 5.0 motor. I also have the 401a package amongst other options which is nice because I can use my phone to start and stop or lock and unlock the car from literally anywhere. The other day I was about 12 or 13 minutes out from my car in the warehouse and I can almost never get any kind of reception for even the radio but it started up beautifully. What's nice about the app is it let's you know the car has started and gives you a countdown for how much longer it will run before shutting off.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Honestly, with 0% financing, why not do it over the longest term offered? There is no added cost for that.
Question is it really 0%. Is the price for the car the same if paying all cash or financing at 0%? If its not the same price, there is your finance charge, however in this scenario, it will only be important if the sale price changes based on how many months you finance over.
Yep...its free money simply take the negotiated sales price and divide by 72 and bam...that's your monthly payment. I have said this a few times and will say again that if you have good credit and a decent paying income then you can get ranked into tier 0 which means no money down and 72 months at 0%. That is free money.

Negotiate the price first, then once you've finally got the price you want tell them you want the tier 0 through Ford. The salesman, if he has any experience, will know right then you have done your research. Always negotiate price first then financing once the agreed upon deal has been reached. Also make sure when reading the numbers on the contract especially that they line up.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up a 19 eco base w/ A10 in Kona Blue for $21k, coming from my 17 GT PP w/ MT82, tune and bolt ons.......I should have got an eco sooner, it’s a hoot in town. I have coil overs, tires, wheels etc from my GT that will go on the eco! Let the fun begin!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I just picked up a 19 eco base w/ A10 in Kona Blue for $21k, coming from my 17 GT PP w/ MT82, tune and bolt ons.......I should have got an eco sooner, it’s a hoot in town. I have coil overs, tires, wheels etc from my GT that will go on the eco! Let the fun begin!
Congrats Kent but where are the pics?
Sponsored