Sponsored

Better Deal For The Money: 2019 Base GT or 2020 Base EB HPP

AGM2018

With the remaining 2019 GT's available for purchase with Ford's 0% APR up to 72 months (for qualified buyers)...and with prices being heavily discounted, is a base trim level GT a better deal than a 2020 EB HPP for similar money? A co-worker of mine is trying to decide this very question. He is looking at a base trim GT, with an automatic transmission, 301A package, 3.55 gears, active exhaust and navigation; he was quoted a final price of $40K, with Ford's 0% APR for up to 72 months. The MSRP of the mustang is: $42,625

In contrast, he has an offer of $36K, with a finance rate of 3.49% for 72 months, on a 2020 EB HPP with an automatic transmission, 101A package, optional luster wheels and navigation. The base price of the mustang is: $38,540. At the end of the loan period, the 2020 EB HPP will be virtually the same price as the GT (about $47.00 difference after a 72 month loan at 3.49% APR)...but, over the life of the loan, will he be money ahead on gas, maintenance and insurance costs, as compared to a GT? He has driven both and he has specific likes...and dislikes...on each.

I think he is "leaning" toward the GT; he is going to drive both again tomorrow (they are at two different dealers). So, my fellow forum members...what do you think? What advice would you provide to my friend? Which model mustang would you choose: a 2019 base GT or a 2020 base EB HPP?
Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
GT for sure

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If he has gripes about sound or top end power, may as well get the GT now and save himself the trouble later on. Suspension can be modified later, the engine shouldn't be.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Well, GT for sure, but I'm prejudiced.

That being said, only $2600 off for a leftover 2019 in the last week of November ?? Or, by "final price", do you mean Out-The-Door with all fees / taxes / registration / etc. ?

Sponsored

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Both are great cars but you're getting more for the money with the EB HPP. You'll spend thousands modding the GT suspension and other stuff unless the plan is keeping it stock so really you'll be spending more owning the GT. I've owned both cars the EB will be a better daily. Just my 2cents.

OP
OP

AGM2018

Well, GT for sure, but I'm prejudiced.

That being said, only $2600 off for a leftover 2019 in the last week of November ?? Or, by "final price", do you mean Out-The-Door with all fees / taxes / registration / etc. ?

Zooks527,

The $40K price is the final price...all taxes, title and fees included. So, after all is said and done, the total purchase price for the car (over the life of the 72 month loan) is $2625 less than the purchase price of the car's MSRP.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
After owning a 16 Eco with a bunch of mods (Tune, Suspension, and Tires) and an 18 Gt PP1, I would lean towards the GT. I loved my Eco and had it dialed in great for track use, but the GT is really on another level. It's not just that its more powerful, faster, and angrier, it just feels special. It just screams down the road like a pissed off missile. If its really about the same money I would advise him to go for the GT, either car is gonna be an amazing purchase and the new Eco is impressive af, but if its me I'm going GT and not looking back.

S550-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Race Red
I would go with the GT as well. New EB with 10 speed esp the HPP are really good and with mods could be really fun. However, GT will hold its value better and sounds amazing!

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
I got my base Gt for $36k including taxes tags and fees. Love every single moment of it and man does it sound amazing! Also the fuel economy is not bad also on highway I’m getting 20-23mpg! City driving it just varies usually a full tank of 91 gets me around 180-210 miles before E.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The GT no question. The ecoboost high performance package upgrades a few key chassis components (front springs, rear sway bar, front brakes) to essentially the base GT parts, but not all of the parts are even upgraded to the GT parts. Not to mention, the GT has 460 hp vs. the 330 hp in the EB high performance engine. That's a massive difference in power and the GT will accelerate significantly stronger. Don't believe what people say or what your friend's mind may try to tell him about the magic turbo torque. The GT has more torque everywhere in the curve. The turbo engine may only have more torque under light throttle due to the turbo providing boost at low engine speeds, but that's about it. Under heavy throttle, the Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 shines at any rpm vs the ecoboost. It's just the nature of a turbocharged vs. naturally aspirated engine.

Zay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if anyone has said this but the GT is the better car. me personally I would still go with Bare Base GT over a optioned out Ecoboost every time.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
With the remaining 2019 GT's available for purchase with Ford's 0% APR up to 72 months (for qualified buyers)...and with prices being heavily discounted, is a base trim level GT a better deal than a 2020 EB HPP for similar money? A co-worker of mine is trying to decide this very question. He is looking at a base trim GT, with an automatic transmission, 301A package, 3.55 gears, active exhaust and navigation; he was quoted a final price of $40K, with Ford's 0% APR for up to 72 months. The MSRP of the mustang is: $42,625
First of all 72 months :? Even I don't finance my cars for that long. Second if the best deal is on the table and you want to keep a Mustang for 72 months I would factor in maintenance money in this equation since the HPP will be much cheaper to operate in 72 months though new motor so nobody can tell for sure. Overall even with financing the HPP will be cheaper. However if you can't afford the car payment on a 48 or 60 months term I strongly advice not buying more car than you need especially a high maintenance one like the GT because what will happen when on the 8th month this car need new tires at 1000$ ?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! Those prices are horrible, what state are you in? At the dealers here in Va. base GTs start much lower, for example there’s a new Kona Blue 2019 GT for $28,883 at Wynne Ford.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If your only car, the GT might be better for the younger driver.

I have a 2018 EB just purchased for the wife's daily. Got to drive it from Orlando to Jax. Loved the ride and handling. The power was fantastic and is all stock.

Now, to explain why I like it. I have a 2007 GT500 with 700+ HP and a stock 2019 GT350 that I track. I have the option if I want more power to play, I take the Shelby's out.

But for a daily commuter and grocery getter, I would do the EB.

Just my .02 cents.
Sponsored