Sponsored

Best way to "friendly" rev in an A10 while in motion?

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
So this may be a stupid question, but I ran into a nice 392 Challenger yesterday with a nice exhaust and I was coming to a stop in the right lane behind an also nice C7 Corvette and the Challenger rolled along the left of me and gave what I took as a friendly rev as he was coming to a stop.

However, since I'm in an A10, I didn't/couldn't really do it back as I was coming to a stop (already auto downshifting) and was only about 1-2 car lengths behind a Corvette.

So my question is, what's the best way to do these friendly rev taps while the car is in motion/gear? I heard that shifting it into neutral and doing revs would be bad for the transmission for an A10, so is that true?

Also heard going down on the paddle a few times and then blipping the throttle, but that may not always be applicable right? And I'm not sure how smooth that would be/how long it sometimes takes to paddle downshift may make it moot at that point.

Is it something that the A10 just shouldn't really do and is really mainly for the manuals?

Disclaimer: This not about douche style revving lol. Just talking about those friendly taps or two give when a nice V8 does it to you rarely from time to time.
Sponsored

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
In the GT500 you can just hold both paddles and rev. I really wish that was an option on the 10R80.

As someone who accidentally shifted to neutral at 60mph, don’t. The A10 takes longer than other tranny to get into gear. I couldn’t get a throttle response for what felt like three seconds.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Yeah it sure would be nice to have something like that for the A10.

And yeah thanks for the warning. I guess I'll avoid shifting into neutral while in motion, but I'd like to get confirmation on if that's actually a bad thing to do in general? I read a post somewhere that it was bad cause it would slam gears around when coming back into drive or something like that.

I guess I'll stick with the paddle downshift method for the very rare occasion it comes up, but I don't think I could have done that yesterday in the situation I was in where I was already coming to a stop and closely behind another (nice) car already lol.

Sponsored

Bandi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you absolutely must, I would suggest just doing it while at a stop and putting it in neutral.

Doing that while in motion doesn't seem like the best idea.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
2:40 he does it.

Watch "THIS happened when I put my truck in Park AND Reverse (At the same time) WHILE driving.." on YouTube

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I don't know what the big deal is. Click down to N and rev. I've done it and it doesn't hurt anything.

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
If your still moving and in higher gear with very little throttle I'd guess you could quickly floor it then back out of the gas as quick as you got in it, car will drop from 10th to maybe 3rd depending on your speed resulting in a nice Rev. In my car at least it doesn't result in unwanted acceleration if done quickly(I usually do it if I want to drop gears before a sharp turn).

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
There is no harm done to the car by putting it in neutral while moving.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your still moving and in higher gear with very little throttle I'd guess you could quickly floor it then back out of the gas as quick as you got in it, car will drop from 10th to maybe 3rd depending on your speed resulting in a nice Rev. In my car at least it doesn't result in unwanted acceleration if done quickly(I usually do it if I want to drop gears before a sharp turn).
No need to floor it LOL!

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
No need to floor it LOL!
I was being slightly hyperbolic, spike it to a high percentage rather than floor it better for you?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was being slightly hyperbolic, spike it to a high percentage rather than floor it better for you?
Actually, I like blip the throttle! How's that for a technical term.

There are folks here who take things literally and will be putting their feet to the actual floor when someone recommends flooring it. Just sayin.

Iconicgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Is it possible the 392 be a manual and dude was downshifting/rev matching to come to a stop ? And you just thought he was giving you a “friendly rev”
Sponsored